PDA

View Full Version : John Eustice believes Floyd

hmbmd
08-05-2006, 12:23 PM
ESPN cycling analyst still maintains that Floyd did not dope. He had a lengthy interview on ESPN the Pulse this afternoon. He claims that the T/E test is flawed and every athlete who has tested positive with this test in the past has eventually had the result overturned in the the appeals process. He goes to to say that Floyd has been tested over 20 times this year and has never had a reading like this. His power outputs on stage 17 were in keeping with similar training data. He does not lead the lifestyle of a doper in that he does not train in remote places and does not associate with unknown or shady doctors. To me, as a physician, my question is how quickly a T/E ration returns to normal once not taking steroids. He was tested after stage 17 and after stage 19 two days later. If a T/E ration of 11:1 can return to a normal level two days later then I would tend to think he did take the steroid in an act of desperation. If the T/E ratio takes longer to return to normal then this would be a great defense for him.

Avispa
08-05-2006, 12:35 PM
ESPN cycling analyst..... goes to to say that Floyd has been tested over 20 times this year and has never had a reading like this....

We are all clean until we get busted or "we are all innocent until found guilty..."

...He does not lead the lifestyle of a doper in that he does not train in remote places and does not associate with unknown or shady doctors....

So, I guess this makes Lance a doper, no? He trained in remote places like the Canary Islands and associated with shady Docs! "Yo Lance! Hand over the Seven Cups, Bro!"

Oh well, let the soap opera begin!

Big Dan
08-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Maybe John didn't read the whole thing....

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5847860?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8485

Steelman
08-05-2006, 02:07 PM
About the T/E ratio, thats all fine and dandy. Now explain the synthetic drug found in his system?

palincss
08-05-2006, 03:34 PM
About the T/E ratio, thats all fine and dandy. Now explain the synthetic drug found in his system?

Was that ever officially reported, or are we relying solely on rumor and leaks?

Big Dan
08-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Synthetic testosterone found in Landis, official says
By JEAN-LUC COURTHIAL, Associated Press Writer
August 5, 2006

PARIS (AP) -- Floyd Landis' doping samples contained synthetic testosterone, indicating the Tour de France champion's elevated levels were not produced naturally, the head of France's anti-doping commission said Saturday.

Pierre Bordry, who heads the French anti-doping council, said the lab found that testosterone in Landis' urine samples came from an outside source.

"I have received a text message from Chatenay-Malabry lab that indicates the 'B' sample of Floyd Landis' urine confirms testosterone was taken in an exogenous way," Bordry told The Associated Press.

The revelation could damage Landis' defense prospects. He has claimed the testosterone in his body was "natural and produced by my own organism."

The American cyclist's backup "B" sample came back positive Saturday, confirming the original "A" test.

Landis could be stripped of the Tour title and banned for two years.

Testosterone, a male sex hormone, helps build muscle and improve stamina. The urine tests carried out on Landis after his victory in the Tour's 17 stage turned up a testosterone/epitestosterone ratio of 11:1 -- far in excess of the 4:1 limit.

A report this week in the New York Times cited an unidentified source from the UCI as saying an analysis of Landis' first sample by carbon isotope ratio testing had detected synthetic testosterone, which indicated it had been ingested.

Jacques De Ceaurriz, the head of the Chatenay-Malabray lab, said the isotope testing procedure involving a mass spectrometer is totally reliable.

"It's foolproof. This analysis tells the difference between endogenous and exogenous," he told the AP. "No error is possible in isotopic readings."

Landis spokesman Michael Henson disputed that.

"There is no conclusive evidence that shows that this test can show definitively the presence of exogenous testosterone," Henson said.

But World Anti-Doping Agency chief **** Pound said the tests were scientifically valid.

"The overwhelming scientific consensus would hold these tests are reliable and what they found is what they found," he told the AP. "Had there been any scientific difficulties or technical difficulties we would have heard about it."

Pound said confirmation of the synthetic testosterone finding would undermine any Landis defense.

"It's probably a very good preemptive move to close down yet another avenue of complaint or argument," he said. "The science is pretty well accepted. The history of these tests are pretty well established."

Associated Press Writer Jamey Keaten and AP Sports Writer Stephen Wilson in London contributed to this report.

Climb01742
08-05-2006, 04:17 PM
silver lining: admit guilt, have hip replacement, do two years of rehab, come back.

i've often wished a political candidate would use (and live up to) the following campaign slogan: hey, let's give honesty a shot.

Steelman
08-05-2006, 04:20 PM
silver lining: admit guilt, have hip replacement, do two years of rehab, come back.

He can come back in two years and race for Symetrics or Navigators. But he will have to wait four years to race in the big leagues again.

stevep
08-05-2006, 06:00 PM

i've often wished a political candidate would use (and live up to) the following campaign slogan: hey, let's give honesty a shot.

honesty? what are you , crazy?
so i ate some columbian chocolates..how was i to know?

obtuse
08-05-2006, 07:17 PM
honesty? what are you , crazy?
so i ate some columbian chocolates..how was i to know?

i freakin hate cocaine. but it smells so good.

richard pryor

William
08-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Floyd? Floyd who??? :confused:

William

Grant McLean
08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
William

that's exactly what we'd all be saying if Basso beat Ullrich in the tour.
Stage 17 my a$$.

g

BumbleBeeDave
08-05-2006, 09:29 PM
<<"It's foolproof. This analysis tells the difference between endogenous and exogenous," he told the AP. "No error is possible in isotopic readings.">>

I'm at the point where I don't trust any riders at all, but bullsh*t like this about ANY test being "foolproof" is even more ridiculous. There is NO test that is ABSOLUTELY reliably 100 per cent never wrong. Hyperbole like this is simply part of the "spin" and has no basis in reality. The only person less reliable than the riders and this guy these days is D!ck Pound . . .

BBD

72gmc
08-05-2006, 09:40 PM
i agree with bbdave. no scientist worth listening to would describe his test as foolproof and his results as perfect; there is always more to know. this whole doping issue is only exacerbated by so-called enforcers who are too busy fighting over the spotlight to do their jobs...

fiamme red
08-05-2006, 09:43 PM

WilliamPink Floyd?

slowgoing
08-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I could care less what anyone believes at this point. This isn't an election. The only people who matter now are those deciding his appeal.

Johny
08-05-2006, 09:57 PM
"I was very upset to read the accusations against me and to see my name associated with the "Operacion Puerto" investigation in Spain. I have not been treated by Dr. Fuentes. I have not done what the article alleges." --- Hamilton

"I have never taken any banned substance, including testosterone." --- Landis

"I will simply restate what I have said many times: I have never taken performance enhancing drugs." --- Armstrong

"It's foolproof. This analysis tells the difference between endogenous and exogenous. No error is possible in isotopic readings." --- Pound

Which one do you believe?

William
08-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Pink Floyd?

Could it have been, a Momentary Lapse of Reason?

William ;)

Avispa
08-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Could it have been, a Momentary Lapse of Reason?

It seems to me that it was more like the Dark Side of the Moon, bro!

GoJavs
08-06-2006, 11:17 AM
But I don't believe Eustice, so where's does that leave me? :)

Fixed
08-06-2006, 11:21 AM
he use to race around here he was a fast cat .

weiwentg
08-07-2006, 04:26 AM
"I was very upset to read the accusations against me and to see my name associated with the "Operacion Puerto" investigation in Spain. I have not been treated by Dr. Fuentes. I have not done what the article alleges." --- Hamilton

"I have never taken any banned substance, including testosterone." --- Landis

"I will simply restate what I have said many times: I have never taken performance enhancing drugs." --- Armstrong

"It's foolproof. This analysis tells the difference between endogenous and exogenous. No error is possible in isotopic readings." --- Pound

Which one do you believe?

Pound's not qualified to assess a test as foolproof - he's a lawyer, not a scientist, and if he's prepared to declare something foolproof, I wonder how good a lawyer he is.

george
08-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Pink Floyd?

hello...hello...hello...is there anybody OUT there? just knod if you can hear me... I don't want to be alone...