PDA

View Full Version : Garmin HR issue - Help!

bianchi10
02-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Using a Garmin 520 paired with a brand new Garmin HRM3 premium heart rate monitor.

Having issues with my HR giving me a read out for the first 15 min. Was using an older model HR garmin strap and it was also not registering correctly. It seems as if after 15 min or so, it finally kicks in and starts to give me correct info. Within them at first 15 min it will show 75 (or whatever number) and then the field will go blank as if I disconnected it. If I pull the strap away from my chest and place it back, it will suddenly show a number as if it's reading but will not fluctuate in rate. Then 5 seconds or so it will fall off again. Move strap and it will show again and then fall off...etc.

I have gone through the settings and deleted the HR and then resented the device, only to come up with the same issues.

Anyone have a answer for this? Getting really frustrating.

classtimesailer
02-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Replace the battery in the strap AND scrub it with soap, water, and a toothbrush.

bianchi10
02-09-2017, 03:27 PM
Replace the battery in the strap AND scrub it with soap, water, and a toothbrush.

It's a brand new HR monitor and brand new battery that I put in it though.

MagicHour
02-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Do a search on Dcrainmaker.com about HR strap woes, he gives a bunch of tips, some particular to specific strap model quirks.

Not a garmin, but personally I have to rinse my strap after EVERY use, use HRM gel, and occasionally wipe down pads with alcohol.

heartattackride
02-09-2017, 03:55 PM
+1 for HRM gel or wetting your chest. I get no accurate reading unless I do either with my Garmin or Wahoo straps.

parallelfish
02-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Purchase the Polar strap and attach the Garmin transmitter to it. There is a grounding issue with the Garmin strap. A Garmin rep told me that there is a patent on Polar's grounding method so Garmin used a different method.

Every Garmin strap I have used had similar issues, as well as those of my riding partners. The Polar strap has resolved the issue for all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XCLU66/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SlowPokePete
02-09-2017, 05:26 PM
Glad I looked at this.

I just started having the problem the OP described, never had this issue before, and the battery is fresh.

My whole Garmin HRM is a year or two old so I guess its time was fast approaching.

Anyway, ordered the Polar strap couple minutes ago.

SPP

feta99
02-09-2017, 05:28 PM
My suggestion is to buy the Wahoo HR strap. It has been solid for years. I've gone thru several Garmin straps. Never again.

Macadamia
02-09-2017, 05:33 PM
did you try licking the back of it

dustyrider
02-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Call garmin. I had a brand new unit and hrm with all kinds of issues. They ended up sending me a new hrm at their cost and it turned out to be the unit not the hrm. Pretty comical, since I got to keep both hrms! Ended up donating the extra to a High School athlete.

rwerkudara
02-09-2017, 06:50 PM
My suggestion is to buy the Wahoo HR strap. It has been solid for years. I've gone thru several Garmin straps. Never again.

+1. Bluetooth is also a plus when I run/ride with only my phone.

Dana Kilalps
02-09-2017, 07:42 PM
I had the same issues as the OP and it was completely resolved after I washed the strap. I put it in a large bowl with dish washing liquid and swished it around a while and then rinsed it. I didn't expect it to work, so I was amazed and pleasantly surprised when it did.

I also tried a cheap, no name strap from somewhere on the internet and that worked fine.

bianchi10
02-09-2017, 09:22 PM
I had the same issues as the OP and it was completely resolved after I washed the strap. I put it in a large bowl with dish washing liquid and swished it around a while and then rinsed it. I didn't expect it to work, so I was amazed and pleasantly surprised when it did.

I also tried a cheap, no name strap from somewhere on the internet and that worked fine.

This has happened since it was brand new out of the box though. I've only used it 3 times and I wash it in a bowl just like you described. Nothing helped. I will be trying the water or spit on it first and then possibly a gel. if that doesn't work, I'll order a polar.

parallelfish
02-09-2017, 10:06 PM
This has happened since it was brand new out of the box though. I've only used it 3 times and I wash it in a bowl just like you described. Nothing helped. I will be trying the water or spit on it first and then possibly a gel. if that doesn't work, I'll order a polar.

Been through all of these. Some Garmin straps worked for awhile, others failed out of the box. I always use spit and also tried a gel - no difference. Washing sometimes worked for a bit, but resorted back to its bad behavior in a short time. Much frustration!

Some of my friends would not listen to me, and spent years exchanging faulty straps with Garmin. The last of them finally relented last year and purchased the Polar strap. No more issues.

kppolich
02-10-2017, 01:35 AM
Get an optical Rhythm + and forget about wearing that crap around your chest.

dem
02-10-2017, 07:58 AM
I had no luck with the Garmin soft straps either. Went back to the rigid one, no issues for many years (one of my new garmins came with the soft strap, so I thought I'd try it out)

bianchi10
02-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and direction. Worked fine today with a quick cleaning and water on the contacts.

Appreciate the help

adrien
02-12-2017, 12:58 PM
I had exactly this issue for a long time. Go the Polar system, which helped, but I personally also found it temperamental with my Garmin. I had a couple of spikes showing heart rate pushing 300!

I actually ended up getting Bontrager-branded strap as recommended by an LBS, and now have no issues at all. Picked up a second one. It's these:http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-computers-gps/bontrager-ant/ble-softstrap-heart-rate-belt/p/14602/