PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a bike on Air Canada

fiamme red
02-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Ouch! :help:

http://www.bicycling.com/culture/travel/cyclist-slapped-with-unbelievable-airline-bike-fee

Noah Simms flew to Europe on Air Canada with his cyclocross bikes for the world championships without incident, but upon returning home, the airline charged him with a $577 bike travel fee. To put this into perspective, in our list of Best and Worst Airlines for Cyclists, bike fees maxed out at $150. Air Canada, if it lived up to the promises on the website, would be among the best, with its promised $50 fee.http://www.bicycling.com/sites/bicycling.com/files/bike-bag-crazy-fee.jpg

cdn_bacon
02-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to bikeflights that?!?!

that's insane

carpediemracing
02-09-2017, 01:26 PM
I think that it's generally up to the ticket agent person. However the agent needs to answer to management, and if management doesn't frown on such moves then they'll keep happening.

For example after I asked for a receipt for my bike fee payment (which the agent didn't want to give me so I had ask a few times) the agent asked for my boarding pass back. She made a mark on it. At the TSA line we were pulled aside for extra checks (search/etc). The TSA people commented out loud that there were a lot of random checks for such a light crowd. I told them they should talk to the one agent that checked me in.

TEMPLE
02-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Air Canada made me quit flying. Well, Air Canada and concern for the environment. Mostly Air Canada, though.

Black Dog
02-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Wow, that should be challenged. The bike fee should include the oversize fee. When I fly with Air Canada with a bike I just say that the contents of the bike case are trade show display materials. This results in an oversize bag charge but no bike fee. The guys that scan the bike do not work for the airlines and don't care what was said to the ticket agent. Insure the bike separately for damage, but with a hard case it is really hard to damage a bike. AC fleeces folks for bikes, the same case with the same mass gets a different fee because the contents are different!! Really? I call BS. I am happy to pay for the size and mass, not a premium for the contents that AC will not cover if damaged anyways.

Pierre
02-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Wow, that should be challenged. The bike fee should include the oversize fee. When I fly with Air Canada with a bike I just say that the contents of the bike case are trade show display materials. This results in an oversize bag charge but no bike fee. The guys that scan the bike do not work for the airlines and don't care what was said to the ticket agent. Insure the bike separately for damage, but with a hard case it is really hard to damage a bike. AC fleeces folks for bikes, the same case with the same mass gets a different fee because the contents are different!! Really? I call BS. I am happy to pay for the size and mass, not a premium for the contents that AC will not cover if damaged anyways.

Love this! I was a long-time AC customer but recently was forced to take my bike on a WestJet...wow, what a breath of fresh air.
WestJet check-in person: is that an extra bag you have?
Me: yes.
WestJet check-in person: That will be $25. End of story.

cpamplin
02-09-2017, 03:35 PM
Definitely challenge that, I flew to San Francisco on WestJet in October and I think I was charged $35 for my bike. I find Twitter is an excellent way to expedite these kinds of customer service issues.

d_douglas
02-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Ive paid $50 for my bike twice.

I think he's a fool for agreeing to that. I know that time is of the essence at an airport when 20 people are waiting behind you, but that is $500 overpriced!

But anyways, bear in mind, its just little 'ol Canadian dollars ;) - its worth nothing!