PDA

View Full Version : Public Bikes

CDollarsign
02-09-2017, 07:23 AM
After arguing the merits of me building my wife a nice bike, I caved in and ordered her the Public step through that she wanted. We got a nice deal with 30% off everything - she got to order the rack, panniers, bell, and brooks saddle.

All in all, I am pretty impressed with the quality of the bike considering its cheap cost. Putting it together last night was easy and everything was provided down to touch up paint. The bike was thoroughly prepared for shipping as well (read padded and restrained).

I would recommend buying one - hell, I am even thinking about buying one for myself to ride on the bike paths with her!

oldpotatoe
02-09-2017, 07:30 AM
After arguing the merits of me building my wife a nice bike, I caved in and ordered her the Public step through that she wanted. We got a nice deal with 30% off everything - she got to order the rack, panniers, bell, and brooks saddle.

All in all, I am pretty impressed with the quality of the bike considering its cheap cost. Putting it together last night was easy and everything was provided down to touch up paint. The bike was thoroughly prepared for shipping as well (read padded and restrained).

I would recommend buying one - hell, I am even thinking about buying one for myself to ride on the bike paths with her!

Sold them until the company wished to sell in our territory and declined our retail place getting discounts being offered to direct customers BUT..Nice bikes, well thought out designs, good pricing. Just didn't want to compete with them.

Another good and very similar bike..Vecchio's still sells them.

Linusbikes.com

gemship
02-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Touch up paint comes with the bike? Now that just makes too much sense...how about just offering people paint codes...more bike makers, big mfg's should do this.

CDollarsign
02-09-2017, 08:06 AM
I thought it was a nice touch! I originally had thought it was grease to put on all the threads/stem/post for assembly, but alas it was touch up paint!

ColonelJLloyd
02-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Sold them until the company wished to sell in our territory and declined our retail place getting discounts being offered to direct customers BUT..Nice bikes, well thought out designs, good pricing. Just didn't want to compete with them.

If that was ever the case across the board I don't believe it is now. My LBS sells Public and I think the discounts are also taken at the wholesale level.

My daughter rides one. Now with purple/pink streamers.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/527/32761350246_6a875f8f68_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RV1u3j)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/RV1u3j) by ColonelJLloyd (https://www.flickr.com/photos/51002114@N03/), on Flickr

gemship
02-09-2017, 08:25 AM
I thought it was a nice touch! I originally had thought it was grease to put on all the threads/stem/post for assembly, but alas it was touch up paint!

Nice touch for sure. I tried taking my bike to a body shop once to see if I could get a paint match and they tried for like ten minutes and what they came up with wasn't even close. Even with modern tech it's hard to scan a color and replicate. Really not worth the hassle.

kevinvc
02-09-2017, 10:07 AM
My buddy has a Public for his around town cruiser. I've borrowed it and was impressed with it's performance. However, riding it was also the only time I've ever been hit directly by a car (it was pulling out of a driveway and barely touched me- the only damage was a bent fender that was easily fixed). I do not blame the bike. :)

jruhlen1980
02-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Nice touch for sure. I tried taking my bike to a body shop once to see if I could get a paint match and they tried for like ten minutes and what they came up with wasn't even close. Even with modern tech it's hard to scan a color and replicate. Really not worth the hassle.

I couldn't even get a body shop to return my call when I tried.

CDollarsign
04-17-2017, 09:30 AM
I know this isn't super exciting, but I picked up a brand new Public C7 from a nice guy who lives south of louisville BNIB for $130 this weekend. Had a ton of fun with my wife pulling the boy around.

Even though they aren't 'go fast' they sure are pretty fun!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FPYAjSh67xmqKliYWhO8oCWYYHKpWHZMOOSBX6VSWEFQOgpJSd YCdhwPbublkNvW7vljz4kvXUptiXWqtkb2Mvi49WllAEtk2W9O OAx3DkLESWPP-T8tIhBD3w8ofzqVRr11WV5_KwKKPPKPhMat-S5B-Dy-hVfCuTNZmTBfM9Y8o4U8LMvi-ejETyILNS4AWIgwHlD1QhgryKMzwn9u3G0z7wngxz3jmEziIuK 9CZDsFDXhKYpgs0UwvE9Xj0P1zwfOrlXQFUvL4-Wv3KilC7aVGt7SqIEIceMwcSOBGA0OLh09KYDLh9B6WqNdjzEk SAtMEDHSuGLUTocOsPOUHIIF3n5P2oA61fVcfdN_5GSzF-SbwTYdR4amsVOQ-J3s999YRURVRRcXuf_aK3QWXk-h1Bs6BZaL-2NWTx2RRdW9iYB5zr75XjEP3Wc9Zonbp6K8_4QBhWzo-mMF4dA_GCXRlaY7AXNeHsFtnLcsYjjjQY5AxC6PSfoE5-XD_8P1Jr6mcTYf6R5v8D_LV97pZJXZvvHeYqo1WSC_JYG1Fxel-Ig4QjqAbeYBXA3NuY3_bFUrQFMOBgh7p8rzZg2zYF5Jw0JbXjB QgCmKmhhobn4d51Xe70OosA9fUzjSBYw15RhcCejNnDoZ6eoyK bngBT5iJoolJR8igR8370MiIA=w672-h504-no

CMiller
04-17-2017, 02:26 PM
They are great and thoughtful bikes for the price. I recommend them to friends all the time.

The only thing is they sure are pretty, which makes them theft magnets, and a lot of that consumer market don't spring for a u-lock at first.