PDA

View Full Version : WAY OT: Dyson V8?

CDollarsign
02-08-2017, 09:20 AM
I am very conflicted about an upcoming purchase. It seems like everyone here has excellent taste bound not by just bicycles.

My vacuum died. I am considering the Dyson V8 because it seems very versatile. My house is all hardwood with the exceptions of some dhurrie rugs, so I don't think I need anything super crazy. I like the fact that its wireless and compact. I like that I could take it outside and vacuum my car.

The more I read, the more everyone points to Miele canister vacuums which would be in the same price range. They seem much more bulky, but perform better.

Any one have a V8? Love it or hate it? Other recs?

JAGI410
02-08-2017, 09:32 AM
We have a V6, and my wife and son love it. I hate it.

It's super light, convenient, powerful, Dyson quality, etc. My main beef is the capacity of the bin. When it's full the vacuum will stop working. With 2 dogs and a family of 4, it fills quick. So while it's cordless, you're tethered to a trash can to empty it all the time. We also have a full size Dyson and I can do the whole house without filling it to the point it stops. The V6 can't finish a room. We're in the process of replacing carpet with laminate wood and vinyl tile this week, and hopefully that will help.

cdn_bacon
02-08-2017, 09:36 AM
My Miele is quiet and has plenty of suction. I can literally vacuum my cat with it. PLUS, they are bagged. easy cleanup. We have the lowest end Miele and it does the job well. Have both Berber and tile floors

oh and as an addendum, I would SHOPVAC a car vs bringing out a vacuum

commonguy001
02-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Like JAG we have both a cordless and a full size Dyson.
Pretty sure our cordless is the V8 and I like it, super handy, really sucks (in a good way). I agree it's dirt capacity is limited but don't have an issue with that as I can use the full size. For wood floors the cordless is awesome.

We actually bought it for our RV as a full size was overkill. If I was doing it again I'd buy the same one as the portability and size are important.

I've never looked at Miele so I can't comment on the difference.

Dave B
02-08-2017, 09:42 AM
my wife and I suppose me too, just bought the V8 hand held dyson and you would have thought we had never vacuumed before. We have the dyson pet vacuum and always thought it was great. This hand held thing has surpassed it in spades. Fascinating how well it does for such a small thing.

I hated the price, but my wife borrowed her mother's (they are rich) and said we had to get one. :rolleyes:

so we did. Actually pleased we did.

p nut
02-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Great. Now I'm online shopping for a V8. Thanks again, Paceline. :rolleyes:

:D

hummus_aquinas
02-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Love the vacuum talk. Are there any other killer models out there? Either single function industrial style (I don't know, I remember seeing that old bald guy on tv) or multi? I figure yall have nice, expensive taste when it comes to things that suck.

djg21
02-08-2017, 10:04 AM
I am very conflicted about an upcoming purchase. It seems like everyone here has excellent taste bound not by just bicycles.

My vacuum died. I am considering the Dyson V8 because it seems very versatile. My house is all hardwood with the exceptions of some dhurrie rugs, so I don't think I need anything super crazy. I like the fact that its wireless and compact. I like that I could take it outside and vacuum my car.

The more I read, the more everyone points to Miele canister vacuums which would be in the same price range. They seem much more bulky, but perform better.

We bought a Miele Olympus about 7 years ago, and it is great. We have all hardwood and hard flooring too, and lots of animals that shed. The Miele is really durable, and very easy to handle. We bought a brush head for it when we got it, and it works really well. I also like the fact that where I am, Miele vacuums are not available in big-box stores, but only at a small, family-operated vacuum store.

stackie
02-08-2017, 10:13 AM
We have both high end Miele and two Dyson V6 cordless vacs. One upstairs by cat box to vacuum up everyday after cleaning. One downstairs for quick after dinner vacuum. Bought the stains at Costco on sale.

I love the Miele. But if vacuuming one room I prefer the Dyson. Just easier without the cord. I'd say it is 85% as effective as the full size corded Miele.

I use the Dyson on my car interior and it works pretty well. Often just toss in my car when taking kids to swim and going to be stuck waiting. Good time to Vac and detail inside.

I think you'd be happy with a V8 but might suggest waiting til can get at Costco. good price and lifetime guarantee..""

Jon

p nut
02-08-2017, 10:17 AM
We have both high end Miele and two Dyson V6 cordless vacs. One upstairs by cat box to vacuum up everyday after cleaning. One downstairs for quick after dinner vacuum. Bought the stains at Costco on sale.

I love the Miele. But if vacuuming one room I prefer the Dyson. Just easier without the cord. I'd say it is 85% as effective as the full size corded Miele.

I use the Dyson on my car interior and it works pretty well. Often just toss in my car when taking kids to swim and going to be stuck waiting. Good time to Vac and detail inside.

I think you'd be happy with a V8 but might suggest waiting til can get at Costco. good price and lifetime guarantee..""

Jon

Funny, I am just about to order one from Costco:

https://www.costco.com/Dyson-V8-Animal-Cordless-Stick-Vacuum.product.100313061.html

Now, someone buy my Warbird so I can replenish funds.

Idris Icabod
02-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I've been a loyal Dyson user since I lived in England and they weren't available in the US. I visited my sister back in the UK and rented a car which wasn't very clean so I borrowed her Miele. That thing almost ripped out the carpets it was so powerful. When my Dyson dies I'm buying a Miele.

She has 2 Miele spares in a box because a couple of years ago the UK government implemented a rule where vacuums had to have about half the power so she bought the old powerful ones.

bart998
02-08-2017, 10:19 AM
After burning through several plastic "Wonder" vacuums over the course of about 10 years, I remembered the metal Sanitaire upright I used in the bike shop I worked at for a decade... using it everyday without problems. Bearings, cable ends, etc... it ate them all. I bought one over my wife's objections about 15 years ago.... still going strong and I can't pry it from her hands. Well, ok... but she does love it.

firemanj92
02-08-2017, 10:22 AM

I was in the market for a vacuum bc I wasn't completely satisfied with my Dyson. I chose the Miele. It's heavier but easier to maneuver-aluminum frame and got under stuff better-better build quality. I also did the vacuum test: vacuumed the house (with dogs) with the Dyson 1st then vacuumed with the Miele. The Miele's bag was full of stuff the Dyson missed. The kids don't mind vacuuming now-literally. For the cost of each plastic Dyson (had 3) I bought the Miele from a store that sold/repaired vacuums. Hope the info helps - J

Ken Robb
02-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Consumer Reports has tested MANY vacuums of all designs and brands. It's a good place to get some objective info on performance and pricing. We have had a Miele canister for 10 years and it works well on carpets and tile.

YesNdeed
02-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Good timing, I've been asking around about vacs myself. I found this little write up helpful. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5seq5t/i_ama_vacuum_repair_technician_and_its_spring/

I was strongly considering a Dyson, but today I'll be stopping by local Oreck and Kirby shops to see what they have, and have to say. Also, Rainbow vacs have been strongly recommended. They can be bought used and are high quality.

CDollarsign
02-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Consumer Reports has tested MANY vacuums of all designs and brands. It's a good place to get some objective info on performance and pricing. We have had a Miele canister for 10 years and it works well on carpets and tile.

I am starting to not trust consumer reports. They give the Dyson V8 the best score of any vacuum. The Miele I am considerings (Complete C3 Alize) is ranked kind of low - not going to spend $1500 for the top of the line Miele...

lhuerta
02-08-2017, 11:22 AM
My Dyson vacuum cleaner is the best investment in any appliance I have ever purchased. Sucks like a fiend and replacement parts easily available...

rnhood
02-08-2017, 11:26 AM
After owning "bagged" cleaners all my life, I got lured into buying a Dyson one year ago when my Sebo vacuum broke. It was a mistake. The Dyson is not even in the same league as the Sebo, or probably any of the better bagged cleaners (e.g., Miele or even Panasonic). The Dyson has very good suction, but the modern no-bag design is a pain to clean all the time. I'll never buy another bagless cleaner.

bthornt
02-08-2017, 11:30 AM
I owned one of the first dyson cordless vacuum cleaners, and it was very disappointing. So, I was wary about buying the dyson v6, but after owning it for about a year I have to say that I'm more than satisfied. The only issue, as noted previously, is the very small collection bin.

572cv
02-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Good comments. We have a Miele, bought from the LVS (local vacuum shop). They were very helpful in explaining the different models and their strengths, steering us towards a Lower Priced model, and then offered a ten percent price cut and an extra box of bags. I couldn't have gotten it cheaper on Amazon.

Check out your local vendor!

ojingoh
02-08-2017, 01:38 PM
I like the versatility of the canister vac. I'm going to stump for my kick-a$$ Filter Queen! I've got the Princess III and it's my favorite household appliance, that and my Kitchen Aid.

Noisy though. It's basically what you get if you mix a Kirby upright and a Miele canister. I do like the Miele back harness though, very thoughtful.

woodworker
02-08-2017, 01:46 PM
We have the Royal Commercial vacuum cleaner. We've had it for roughly 10 years. It truly is the one that most commercial janitorial services use. It's simple, made with quality parts that can be replaced, and just keeps working. Here's a link:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/janitorial-maintenance/floor-care/vacuums-upright/royal-commercial-14in-metal-upright-vacuum-with-zipper-bag?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CLawiaGhgdICFZGIswodW-4EIA

Ken Robb
02-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Our LVS in La Jolla sells used/refurbished Mieles with a 3 year guarantee just like their new ones. I dropped ours down a flight of stairs and broke the collar that attaches the hose to the canister. New part installed while I waited for very little $$. I broke off one of the prongs on the plug and they replaced it while I waited for no charge. They seem to stock every repair part for Mieles. They sell other brands too but Miele seems to be their favorite.

Thinking about Consumers Reports graph showing % of vacuums getting repairs Miele is good but not the very best. I wonder how much effect the easy availability of good inexpensive repairs has on the Miele figure relative to brands that are not easily repaired and thus disposable.

huck*this
02-08-2017, 01:48 PM
We have a quick cleanup stick vac made by Electrolux. Nothing crazy just made for convenience and a quick cleanup. We have 95% hardwood floors.

For an actual "vacuum cleaner" we have a Riccar Pristine. Fabulous vacuum that works well on hardwood and the area rugs we have due to the adjustable suction. Dyson beats up area rugs. If you have silk or wool rugs this is not a good thing. Also the Dyson feel of plastic just felt cheap and by no means is the vacuum cheap. Also helps that our in town vacuum shop carries Riccar so easy to get parts, bags, filters, etc.

Also the bags are Hepa bags so when you get a new bag it is essentially a new filter. It is paired with a horse hair brush and works great.

http://www.stuartshouseofvacuums.com/riccar-pristine-canister-vacuum/

paredown
02-08-2017, 02:41 PM
We bought a Miele while we were living in the UK--floor model demo (?Galaxy?) from Harrods where my wife worked at the time. It was a godsend--we had three cats in a small space and I did a lot of vacuuming with that thing. HEPA version. Some years later we gifted it to friends when we left Germany--it was still going strong.

Bought the 120v HEPA replacement when we got back to Brooklyn--it has been a little less durable (one hose/w wiring has failed) but we have used it pretty hard for almost 10 years, and it still does a good job. It is quiet as well.

You do need to replace the HEPA filter regularly and buy the OEM bags, which are not cheap, but they are remarkably good appliances.

staggerwing
02-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Cheapest source we have found for OEM Miele bags is Amazon. They actually come out of the UK. Tried a less expensive 3M labeled version that was cheaper, but a step down in quality.

As per the Reddit guy, I'm convinced a quality bag-type vacuum does a better overall job of catching fine particles and is easier to dispose of the caught material when the time comes.

OtayBW
02-08-2017, 04:15 PM
We have both high end Miele and two Dyson V6 cordless vacs. One upstairs by cat box to vacuum up everyday after cleaning. One downstairs for quick after dinner vacuum.This appears to me to be quite a lot of time devoted to cleaning. No disrespect, but 'daily vacuuming after dinner' - really? ;)

Tickdoc
02-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Ours is a crappy whole house unit. It sucks, just not very well;-) I do like the fact that you just drag a hose room to room, and then I just dump the can in the garage every month or two.

jchasse
02-08-2017, 07:31 PM
We're on our second Dyson, and I hated them both. Mediocre suction at best, and both were prone to consistently clogging in the same places which were nearly impossible to clear out (required tools etc.)

I finally gave up about 2 months ago, even though the current Dyson is basically like new, and got a Miele cannister. Finally we have a vacuum that really sucks :p, and i don't end up swearing every time i use it. And despite the Dysons being almost entirely plastic, the Miele is actually every bit as easy to maneuver.

Aaron O
02-09-2017, 08:24 AM
I know my wife, who owns a business that includes cleaning services, says Dyson is overpriced and mediocre.

I believe she's a fan of Miele.

stackie
02-09-2017, 08:40 AM
This appears to me to be quite a lot of time devoted to cleaning. No disrespect, but 'daily vacuuming after dinner' - really? ;)

We have a smallish house occupied by 2 adults, two kids, and three cats. We vacuum after cleaning the cat box because any litter left to grind into carpet ruins the carpets. I don't think I said that we vacuum daily after dinner, but at a minimum the tile floor needs to be swept or vacuumed. Might as well hit the LR rug as well I f you have the Vac out since it's right there.

Part of living smaller is keeping things neat and clean. Sure I'm probably a little OCD. But, doing what I do, people appreciate my OCD.

Jon

CDollarsign
02-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Miele people - does anyone have the Complete C3 Alize?

It looks like the nozzle head doesn't have a rotating brush - I don't understand how it could clean rugs well... I have 8x10 dhurrie rugs in most rooms of my house. Worried that this model really wont cut it.

OtayBW
02-09-2017, 10:23 AM
We have a smallish house occupied by 2 adults, two kids, and three cats. We vacuum after cleaning the cat box because any litter left to grind into carpet ruins the carpets. I don't think I said that we vacuum daily after dinner, but at a minimum the tile floor needs to be swept or vacuumed. Might as well hit the LR rug as well I f you have the Vac out since it's right there.

Part of living smaller is keeping things neat and clean. Sure I'm probably a little OCD. But, doing what I do, people appreciate my OCD.

Jon
OK - Cool. A little OCD is OK. Nothing to see here. Moving along....:beer:

Aaron O
02-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Jon

Sniper?

stackie
02-09-2017, 10:40 AM
Anesthesiologist.

Your life is in my hands. Vs sniper. Then your death is in my hands.

Jon

Aaron O
02-09-2017, 10:50 AM
Anesthesiologist.

Your life is in my hands. Vs sniper. Then your death is in my hands.

Jon

I would have to say that OCD in that profession is a desirable trait!

I have a friend in the same profession, and he described it as boring 99.9 of the time, and more excitement than you'll ever want the other .1%

I'm a tax nerd, so OCD is also a desirable trait.

mg2ride
02-09-2017, 11:36 AM
If you can ignore the fact that they are heavy. bulky and WAY over priced, Kirby very likely make the best vacuum. Will last forever and works great.

You can use it on hard surfaces as an upright or with in canister mode with the hose attachment.

There is ZERO chance that any of these cordless minis have the same suction capability as a high end canister or upright. ZERO!!! The laws of physics universally apply.

Kirby can be had on the used market at very fair prices. If you only have hard surfaces you can find a VERY old model without the transmission helped propel for damn near nothing and parts are still available. Hell, the parts are still damn near the same.

Ken Robb
02-09-2017, 12:46 PM
We re-carpeted a few months ago. The new carpet is much denser than the old and it has backing that seems to be waterproof and air-proof. The first time I used our Miele canister I could hardly push the sweeper head due to the tremendous suction. I thought I needed to get a new vacuum with adjustable height to prevent this vacuum seal. Happily I remembered the hose handle has a small rotating cover with several detents over a rectangular slot so a user can adjust/reduce the vacuum to an appropriate level for the surface to be cleaned. It works like a charm. :beer:

mcteague
02-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Our old Miele canister finally died so we got a Shark bagless that has gotten rave reviews. I find it works really well, especially with pet hair, but my spouse says it is hard on her back due to all the weight being on the device instead of pulling it behind you. I like uprights and she likes canisters. I do most of the vacuuming but guess who will win out?

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Rotator-Powered-Lift-Away-NV682/dp/B016ZK5N32/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1486666384&sr=1-10

http://vacuum-cleaner-advisor.com/Shark-Vacuums/shark-rotator-powered-lift-away-speed-nv682.html

http://www.vacuumsguide.com/shark-rotator-speed/

Tim

p nut
02-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Honest opinions:

Is this a good V-day gift? Or potential colonoscopy wrapped in a box? :butt:

cpamplin
02-09-2017, 03:43 PM
I bought the V8 from Dyson Canada on Boxing Day. I had very high expectations, and I am very happy with it, but it is still just a vacuum. My wife on the other hand says it is the best piece of home maintenance equipment we have ever bought. Going cordless is a game-changer for sure.

p nut
02-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Update: Dyson was a hit. She LOVES it. Thanks all!

CDollarsign
02-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Still haven't decided what to buy!!!

p nut
02-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Still haven't decided what to buy!!!

Costco has the V8 for $399 now.

After using it for a few min, I will say it's definitely not a replacement for a full size vac. If you're looking for something to do the whole house, cordless isn't the way to go. But for light vacuuming around the house--specifically the kitchen and living room, I think it'll do great.