PDA

View Full Version : Bb shell width issues when swapping parts (Cannondale experts...)

TronnyJenkins
02-07-2017, 05:45 PM
I'm hoping to swap my Quarq Riken from my 2016 Cannondale with pf30 (73mm?) to my 2015 Felt F3 with bb30 (68mm?) The 6800 Ultegra cranks to the Cannondale. What problems am I facing and how simple are the solutions?

tuscanyswe
02-07-2017, 06:01 PM
I believe there are more than 1 type of riken cranks. Believe it comes with a 24mm axle as well as a 30mm axle and that info is required to tell you what you need in order to swap.

As for the ultegra crank in the pf30 its doable with adapters but again since we dont know what bb you have in their allrdy its hard to say.

Worst case scenario you need 2 new bbs but its certainly doable even worst case..

Both your frames will be 68mm (assuming road frame) its the width or the axle that is the issue. Its just a matter of matching your cranks axle diameter to the bearings inner diameters as well as matching the bearings outer dia (or cups outer dia for pf30) to the frame.

TronnyJenkins
02-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Sorry for not mentioning the BB situation and spindle diameters.

Both are 30mm spindles. 'Dale has a Ceramicspeed PF30 BB installed. Felt has standard 6806 bearings per BB30.

(ETA 24 to 30mm adapters on Shimano, see next post)

tuscanyswe
02-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Hmm you sure? Im a campy guy but i was under the impression shimano were stricly 24mm axles? (at least until recently??).

TronnyJenkins
02-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Hmm you sure? Im a campy guy but i was under the impression shimano were stricly 24mm axles? (at least until recently??).

Gah, I'm slow today. I already have 24mm to 30mm adapters from FSA that were in the Felt. You're 100% correct.

My main concern is the shell width. I didn't play around with it too long, but the 6800 crankset didn't seem to be wide enough in the Cannondale. I can totally buy alternate adapters for the 6800 to Cannondale install if needed, and obviously some spacers for the Felt if needed. Please advise. :-)

tuscanyswe
02-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Well like i said I'm a novice at this shimano stuff, others may know by heart and will shim in but..

It seems to me that ceramic speed only does pf30 for sram/gxp, shimano/24mm axle and campy.

at least according to this: http://www.ceramicspeed.com/sport/techlab/bb-compatibility-matrix/

But perhaps this is current version and you have an older not listed bottom bracket? If not then i guess you have the sram/gxp version as i know the riken crank comes with that option at least.

TronnyJenkins
02-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Methinks ive figured it out.
Something like this should do it.
http://wheelsmfg.com/bbright-adapter-for-shimano-cranks.html

velotrack
02-07-2017, 09:01 PM
your cannondale has pf30a which is 73mm asymmetric. the link you posted above should fix it.

TronnyJenkins
02-07-2017, 09:09 PM
your cannondale has pf30a which is 73mm asymmetric. the link you posted above should fix it.

And just add a 5mm spacer to the NDS on the 68mm Felt?

ETA
Just asking for confirmation at this point, but it seems the power meter comes with a ~5mm spacer behind the preload adjuster that the previous owner must have removed. If I find one of those I'm assuming it will fit my Felt.

https://www.quarq.com/media/literature/documents/Quarq_BB30A_Assembly_Instructions_Rev_A1.pdf

kramnnim
02-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Yes, you'll need an additional 5mm to use with the Felt.