PDA

View Full Version : Help: Eddy Merckx Professional fork, how much to ask?

Gsinill
02-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Someone on another forum is looking for an EM chrome flat crown fork.
I got one that is in almost new condition and I have no idea how much I should ask.
Not in it to make big bucks since I got it as a spare for a very reasonable price when I bought my EM Professional frame here on the forum.
On the other side, I don't want to give it away either.

https://s29.postimg.org/qmxgod2ef/EM_fork.png

What would be a fair price?

Thanks,
GS

velofinds
02-07-2017, 09:20 AM
Did you try looking at eBay completed listings for similar items? That would be your best bet by far in terms of establishing a baseline. Then go + or - as you see fit.

Gsinill
02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Did you try looking at eBay completed listings for similar items? That would be your best bet by far in terms of establishing a baseline. Then go + or - as you see fit.

I did, but no flat crowns show up in current or completed auctions.

christian
02-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Not less than $200 I would think. Imagine the delta between a frame only and a f/f/hs listing on ebay. It's a lot.

nesteel
02-07-2017, 09:37 AM
I looked for one when I still had my '80 Professional. I didn't need the chrome one, as the bike had one. It was just a want. I quickly gave up due to the scarcity, and resulting price level.

weisan
02-07-2017, 09:39 AM
Since you don't want to give it away...

Whatever you paid + 20% finder's fee.

OperaLover
02-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Years ago I wanted a Prescia fork for a Colnago frame. Someone on this forum sold me one for a great price. At the time everyone was ditching the steel fork for carbon. Anyway I was thankful and grateful to the person who sold it to me for a song and I promised I would not simply flip the fork or frameset.

I agree you should not give it away. At the the same time, you may make someone very happy and thankful like I am to find that last piece on a nice build. Go with your gut, but I encourage you to pay it forward if it feels right. Sell if for what you paid or a little more and good things will come to you.

bobswire
02-07-2017, 09:42 AM
I sold one of those here for less than $100 but the chrome was starting flaking on the flat crown.

Hindmost
02-07-2017, 10:42 AM
That's a DeRosa crown, right?

paredown
02-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Not less than $200 I would think. Imagine the delta between a frame only and a f/f/hs listing on ebay. It's a lot.

This--or a range from $175-$200. There were a bunch of NOS Precisas on eBay--and the price climbed steadily as the rarity increased...

Unless you want to keep it for a bit, and help out a deserving forum member..

Gsinill
02-07-2017, 12:13 PM
That's a DeRosa crown, right?

No idea, it came with a EM Signature frame as a spare.
The original fork looks the same without the chrome.
What makes you think this was for a DeRosa?

Hindmost
02-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Story is that Derosa helped initially set up Eddy with designs and materials. I am thinking the fork has considerable value.

(Probably should have said early Eddy stuff in good condition has considerable value. It does for me.)

wallymann
02-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Story is that Derosa helped initially set up Eddy with designs and materials. I am thinking the fork has considerable value.

there's some truth to this, derosa did mentor eddy when he started up frambuilding.

however, to call this a "derosa crown" as if derosa made it is misleading. it's a merckx flat crown fork that mimics derosa's design. merckx flat crown forks continued to be offered, abeit in smaller numbers, alongside sloping crown forks in the 90s and 00s.

and they are very sweet indeed. fwiw...the value lay in it's almost pristine condition.

http://tenspeedhero.com/wp-content/uploads/MG_1800-294x235.jpg