PDA

View Full Version : Another grave bike build question

wc1934
02-06-2017, 04:21 PM
I am still attempting to work out the details of the campy build with non disc brakes. I was hoping to use a seven fork which has tons of clearance for bigger tires (but I will probably just stick with 28's).

My question is what type of brake could I consider? I can use a mid reach (47-57mm) but my options seem limited to velo orange grand cruz, TRP, or Tektro's. I don’t like the looks of any of them - seem to clunky.
Are there any other options/suggestions? The campy skeleton is only 51mm – any chance it could work?
As always – Thank You!!!!

weisan
02-06-2017, 04:29 PM
wc pal, if this is truly a gravel bike, then it's probably gonna get muddy and dusty, the aesthetic appearance of the brakes won't matter as much as the function, tire clearance and stopping performance. Just a thought.

jbreebs
02-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Does that fork have canti studs? If so, maybe canti's? Seems like a waste to get a fork with large clearance and not use it. Otherwise, maybe look at some centerpull brakes?

JasonF
02-06-2017, 05:01 PM
I just went through this exercise.

The standard reach Seven 5E fork can accommodate most, if not all, 28mm tires out there. In fact, tires that measure out to 30mm in actual width will likely fit.

Attached is a picture of my 5E fork, using a Spec Roubaix 28mm tire and Hed C2 rim. Actual width is 29.5mm and the brake pads are near the bottom of the slot. In other words, Campy calipers actually do have decent clearance if the fork cooperates.

Opting for the "long reach" version of the 5E fork will likely throw off your bike's geometry quite a bit after accounting for the axle-to-crown height. Of course, if you're working with a builder I would follow his advice. If you're upgrading an existing frame, take into account the current fork span, rake, etc...

Finally, I have owned both the VO caliper as well as the TRP. The VO is "chunkier" and the TRP's are waiting for an incoming frame. Both get good reviews. These calipers probably won't work on the standard reach Seven fork as the arms are too long and you won't be able to get the brake pads high enough on the slot.

wc1934
02-06-2017, 06:27 PM
I just went through this exercise.

The standard reach Seven 5E fork can accommodate most, if not all, 28mm tires out there. In fact, tires that measure out to 30mm in actual width will likely fit.

Attached is a picture of my 5E fork, using a Spec Roubaix 28mm tire and Hed C2 rim. Actual width is 29.5mm and the brake pads are near the bottom of the slot. In other words, Campy calipers actually do have decent clearance if the fork cooperates.

Opting for the "long reach" version of the 5E fork will likely throw off your bike's geometry quite a bit after accounting for the axle-to-crown height. Of course, if you're working with a builder I would follow his advice. If you're upgrading an existing frame, take into account the current fork span, rake, etc...

Finally, I have owned both the VO caliper as well as the TRP. The VO is "chunkier" and the TRP's are waiting for an incoming frame. Both get good reviews. These calipers probably won't work on the standard reach Seven fork as the arms are too long and you won't be able to get the brake pads high enough on the slot.

Thanks Jason - i searched the forum threads and saw your post from the past (wasnt sure how old it was) so I sent to you an pm - you answered my question here - thanks

sandyrs
02-06-2017, 06:32 PM
wc pal, if this is truly a gravel bike, then it's probably gonna get muddy and dusty, the aesthetic appearance of the brakes won't matter as much as the function, tire clearance and stopping performance. Just a thought.

This, 100%.