PDA

View Full Version : '91 Colorado LT tubing--Colorado Concept or not?

Sightworks
08-04-2006, 07:12 PM
My LT was made with Tange Prestige tubing, as the decal states, and the tubing diameter increases as it approaches the bottom bracket. Is this the same as Colorado Concept or not? If not, was the fabrication a precursor for CC tubing? What does LT mean, if anything?

David Kirk
08-04-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't recall what "LT" means but yes the tubes are Colorado concept.

Dave

nobrakes
08-04-2006, 08:14 PM
I also own a Colorado II LT bought new, I thought the "LT" refered to a longer top tube (by 2cm). Also made w/Tange Prestige. Dam nice ride.

JeffreyG
08-04-2006, 09:06 PM
My Lt is 55 X 55, so long top tube is out. Does whoever guesses correctly what in the world Lt meant win a hat?

Even top tube is concept, super nice frame.

Sightworks
08-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. Keep riding that steel....sure wish that Serotta would make at least one lugged frameset, but a David Kirk frame would be nice, too!

Big Dan
08-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Colorado LT's are nice. Have fun..... :)

Ken Robb
08-07-2006, 02:20 PM
The stock Serottas I have measured had top tubes a bit shorter c-c than their seat tubes, ie: my 58cm has 57.5tt and my 60cm has a 58.5 tt so a bike with equal length top and seat tubes would be longer and maybe so-labeled.

David Kirk
08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
I can't recall what the "LT" actually meant but I can tell you it had nothing to do with the top tube length.

All LT's were made with Tange Prestige and I think that was the main difference.

Dave

Serotta PETE
08-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I can't recall what the "LT" actually meant but I can tell you it had nothing to do with the top tube length.

All LT's were made with Tange Prestige and I think that was the main difference.

Dave

Do not know what LT word was but the LT was prestige and I do not think it had a hidden cable in TT as CR and CRL (light) did. As to if it was lighter, I never saw figures to show it was lighter. The CR and CRL from same era were of Columbus. I have a catalog around here somewhere, if i find it I will do a cut and paste of descriptions.

Moon over Mars
01-11-2007, 12:59 AM
My Colorado lt has about 20.5" seat tube and the same dimension c-c on the top tube.

I remember the Columbus tubed set was about $200.00 more and had the two-color paint scheme. Never knew what the lt meant.
I really wanted one back then, but I got one now.
It is really nice.
I need a chain-stay decal, anyone?

lt=lugged tange?

93legendti
01-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Anyone have a geometry chart for a Colorado II?

Serotta PETE
01-11-2007, 10:05 AM
LT was a lighter tube set but was Colorado. LT was lighter but I can not tell you how much, for mine is a non LT. Top Tube was the same, I think I still have a catalog around here somewhere - although it will not list weight.

For a good bottle of ZIN, I can find it and will share the ZIN with you. PETE

I don't recall what "LT" means but yes the tubes are Colorado concept.

Dave

dave thompson
01-12-2007, 03:08 PM
My LT was made with Tang Prestige tubing, as the decal states, and the tubing diameter increases as it approaches the bottom bracket. Is this the same as Colorado Concept or not? If not, was the fabrication a precursor for CC tubing? What does LT mean, if anything?
I just got a 1992 20th Anniversary Serotta catalog. Apparently the LT was 2nd in the model hierarchy to the Colorado II. Here's what the catalog says about the LT: "Built from our proprietary design Colorado tubes of Tang Prestige steel, the LT outwardly appears identical to its sister, the Colorado II. The ride qualities of the tube set, however, make the LT likely to be the most comfortable pro bike you'll ever ride while at the same time it maintains more drive-train rigidity than you'll find in any conventional straight-tubed bike. External top-tube cable guides are standard."

In the geometry chart of the catalog it shows the LT could be had in
'Standard Road Geometry' and 'Extended Road Geometry'. The 'Extended Road Geometry' had longer top tubes.

dave thompson
01-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Anyone have a geometry chart for a Colorado II?
I do.

93legendti
01-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Dave, thanks for the info!

nobrakes
01-13-2007, 01:52 PM
I just got a 1992 20th Anniversary Serotta catalog. Apparently the LT was 2nd in the model hierarchy to the Colorado II. Here's what the catalog says about the LT: "Built from our proprietary design Colorado tubes of Tang Prestige steel, the LT outwardly appears identical to its sister, the Colorado II. The ride qualities of the tube set, however, make the LT likely to be the most comfortable pro bike you'll ever ride while at the same time it maintains more drive-train rigidity than you'll find in any conventional straight-tubed bike. External top-tube cable guides are standard."

In the geometry chart of the catalog it shows the LT could be had in
'Standard Road Geometry' and 'Extended Road Geometry'. The 'Extended Road Geometry' had longer top tubes.
Yes, this is as I recall the brochure and sales talk for the Tange tubes over the Columbus. As I recall in a conversation with Ben, or somebody in N.Y., they were very happy with the then-new bottom bracket shell that brazed on the outside of the flared downtube/seattube junctions. I'm not sure, but I think some of the first Colorado Concept bikes had an internal BB flange inside the seat tube flare. This method was unappealing to me, and I fell in love with the newer external-lug design. My frame has a 4 digit serial #, could be maybe one of the first to use this BB shell? Don't know, but the bike is still in use today, been resprayed twice, needs paint again, bur still has the magic ride. It is the bike I use to compare all others for great ride and handling. One thing about my frame I do notice compared to newer frames is that my bike's chainstays seem to be much more 'bent' than newer ones.