PDA

View Full Version : Would you wear these colors?

stephenmarklay
02-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Of a world champion?

I ask this as it was a topic discussed on the trainer road podcast. I love the look of the rainbow jersey like this:

http://www.santinisms.it/en/uci-collection/long-sleeve-wool-uci-jersey-long-sleeve-jersey-137.html?gclid=CKDz4P_H-9ECFUSXfgodOs8D2g

Would people cover the eyes of their children if I did?

dgauthier
02-06-2017, 07:35 AM
If you race, it could conceivably be in poor taste. If you just ride for fun, sure why not.

Gummee
02-06-2017, 08:00 AM
All I'll say is: if you didn't win it, don't wear it

M

holliscx
02-06-2017, 08:20 AM
If your US Postal kit is dirty go for it.

rePhil
02-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Ironically I still wear my US Postal Jersey. And last weekend my wife scored me a like new radio shack jersey. Both are nice pieces of kit. Most likely abandoned because of the subject matter.

I would not personally wear Rainbow, but if someone else did it's no big deal to me.

If your US Postal kit is dirty go for it.

Black Dog
02-06-2017, 08:44 AM
So, what is wrong with this?

http://www.santinisms.it/2000-thickbox_default/long-sleeve-wool-uci-jersey-long-sleeve-jersey.jpg

Luwabra
02-06-2017, 09:52 AM
I uh just got a rainbow kit myself let's see if the attachment works...

Macadamia
02-06-2017, 09:58 AM

team kit is fine though

DfCas
02-06-2017, 10:01 AM
No

R3awak3n
02-06-2017, 10:06 AM
its just colors on a shirt guys....

Dead Man
02-06-2017, 10:06 AM

Hah... minus the unicorn, I'd totally sport a "rainbow jersey" with actual refractive rainbow colors. That's ironic, and we all know how in irony is. Especially if you have a beard. Especially in Portland.

But World Champ rainbow colors? No. Not till I am the world champ anyway

simonov
02-06-2017, 10:08 AM

That is rad.

Personally I never wear team uniforms unless I'm an actual member of the team, and I'll lump winner's jerseys into that. But short of wishing nobody ever wears white shorts in the rain I don't think it's worth the effort to care how other people dress.

stephenmarklay
02-06-2017, 10:11 AM

I know and that make this super interesting to me. I love the rainbow jersey. I think I am going to have to sport one this year :D

Luwabra
02-06-2017, 10:13 AM
lolol my 6 year old daughter loves this kit so wear it I will :)

Mzilliox
02-06-2017, 10:19 AM

id wear the **** out of the unicorn kit

Luwabra
02-06-2017, 10:21 AM
id wear the **** out of the unicorn kit

That's the plan! It's the farthest thing from rapha I could find. NOT that raphas bad just not for my non conformist style

bobswire
02-06-2017, 10:28 AM
If you don't win don't wear it. Sure if you are a Pro but we're schmucks so we can wear what we want. Sagan would approve.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2w4xiye.jpg

josephr
02-06-2017, 10:30 AM
A lot of bike manufacturers put the champion stripes on their high-end bikes...whats the difference between wearing this or riding a bike that has it? this jersey looks tastefully done...

like someone else said, if you're out having fun, go for it. no difference b/t this and the guy wearing the KOM polka dot jersey....

MattTuck
02-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Primal makes the prism jersey that you seek.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81mlnmEDf7L._SL1500_.jpg

velomateo
02-06-2017, 10:38 AM
I've never got anything but compliments on my Mapie World Champ C40. I don't believe anyone ever believed I was actually a World Champ. Go ahead and wear whatever.
I find you can score some nice jerseys when a National or World champ changes hands.

benb
02-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Personally I never wear team uniforms unless I'm an actual member of the team, and I'll lump winner's jerseys into that. But short of wishing nobody ever wears white shorts in the rain I don't think it's worth the effort to care how other people dress.

I'm pretty much the same but I disagree with respect to wearing the jersey of a defunct team. I occasionally still wear a USPS jersey. I didn't buy it till after the team was long gone, and I paid like $20 for it when the jersey probably cost $90 when the USPS team still existed. That's hard to beat value. Anyone with a clue knows you're not posing if you wear a pro jersey of a team that no longer exists.

Same thing with my Serotta owner's club jersey. I think it is more fun to wear it now that:
- Serotta is gone
- I don't own my Serotta any more.
- I often wear it on a really cheap run of the mill bike that the stereotypical Serotta dentist wouldn't be caught dead on, etc..

You can have fun with some of this stuff and be ironic and/or sarcastic about it.

That Santini WC jersey is pretty classy looking. Not sure I'd wear it though as the WC jersey is always contemporary.

Dr Luxurious
02-06-2017, 10:41 AM

M

yep. for l'arc en ciel, I agree.

Unless it's this

biker72
02-06-2017, 10:52 AM

+1 Exactly. Wear it.

makoti
02-06-2017, 11:14 AM
No, but only in this case because I don't like black jerseys

mjalder2
02-06-2017, 12:47 PM
yep. for l'arc en ciel, I agree.

Unless it's this

I definitely owned this Threadless shirt back in the day. I would totally wear this were it on a jersey, preferably a marigold color like the shirt was.

But definitely not a WC jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luwabra
02-06-2017, 01:02 PM
If anybody gets the clown puking a rainbow into the toilet kit made I'm in !

mjalder2
02-06-2017, 01:03 PM
It's title on Threadless was "Taste the rainbow", which should make it on to the kit imo.

velofinds
02-06-2017, 01:10 PM
If I were someone who wanted to wear those stripes - from a purely design and aesthetic perspective, I agree that they're great - but felt a little bashful about doing so, I'd hedge by only wearing them on obviously slow rides (think recovery laps in the park or on the bike path) astride a showstopping vintage bike. The more vintage finery - toe clips, DT shifters, and the like - the better. Even leave the helmet at home for a simple cotton casquette. The mesage you are telegraphing is that you are simply out to enjoy the ride and not to set any PRs. Otherwise, I think you set yourself up a bit as a target of silent scorn and ridicule from judgmental cyclists. If you're unfazed by that prospect, then more power to you!

I also assume the issue scales commensurate to the population density of the area in which you live -- e.g., if you live and ride somewhere that's sparsely populated, then there's no need to even be having this conversation.

pdmtong
02-06-2017, 01:27 PM
It's just a shirt. No one would confuse me for the real thing...

But, around here one has to be careful.

A few years ago I saw up the road the stars and stripes jersey. I thought that's cool, wonder where she go it? The woman was doing some short interval work and it was all I could to finally catch up after a few miles. Turns out it was megan gaurnier the USA woman's road champion. She was leaving Tibco for Rabobank. Hmmm guess she got it by winning.

There is a guy in the neighborhood that won his master's age group at the CX world championships a few years ago. he actually has a rainbow jersey. a real rainbow jersey. I run the dog by his house every day.

Luwabra
02-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Amazing. I may spearhead this myself. We've had Mt Borah do some unconvential stuff for us before...

QUOTE=mjalder2;2121360]It's title on Threadless was "Taste the rainbow", which should make it on to the kit imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

tiretrax
02-06-2017, 01:30 PM
I have a Woolistic Masi trainer sweater. It has WC stripes on the cuffs. I don't own a Masi, and I've never entered a race, let alone been WC. I did complete Ride the Rockies last year.

BobO
02-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Of a world champion?

I ask this as it was a topic discussed on the trainer road podcast. I love the look of the rainbow jersey like this:

http://www.santinisms.it/en/uci-collection/long-sleeve-wool-uci-jersey-long-sleeve-jersey-137.html?gclid=CKDz4P_H-9ECFUSXfgodOs8D2g

Would people cover the eyes of their children if I did?

Why does it matter what anyone else thinks? Wear what you like.

That said, my personal thoughts (for me) are that I will only wear a meaningful jersey like that after I've earned it. Team kit is a different story, I'll happily show support for a pro team the same way I do in other sports.

Dead Man
02-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Given that we're who we are (cyclists, many of us competitive cyclists), this isn't "just colors on a shirt." Sure, it is literally... like "POLICE" is just words on a shirt, or any political statement or expression is just bla bla on a bla bla.. but images that mean stuff, mean stuff.

Yea, you can wear World Champ jersey... just don't be annoyed when dudes ride up to you and A) want to know what you're World Champ of and B) are annoyed when you tell them you are not.

Don't wear a sign that says "I won a world championship title!" when you didn't.

torquer
02-06-2017, 01:58 PM
"Why does it matter what anyone else thinks?"
I suspect there's some fear out there of sending the wrong message. Is that rainbow about posing as a WC wannabe, about LGBT pride, or a Pink Floyd reference? Hard to know how your audience will take it, so better just to STFU and stick to basic black?
I used to ride a USPS team (replica) Trek; if that makes me a LA fanboy in your eyes, so be it. I don't want to sit at your lunchroom table anyway.

And those stripes on a black ls jersey looks way better than on the all-white kits WCs (prior to Sagan) wore, especially in the rain. IMHO, of course, but what do you care.

martl
02-06-2017, 02:03 PM
wearing a trophy jersey feels a bit the same to me as buying military medals on Ebay and wearing them as if you did the deed.
Wearing a *vintage* or retro jersey is like wearing a WW2 Uniform at a historic military reinactment.

But that's just me :)

oldpotatoe
02-06-2017, 02:09 PM

M

Agree. Team jerseys are no different than a fan wearing a Yankees jersey but award jerseys? Think that's a no-no.

Jaybee
02-06-2017, 02:19 PM

Has your daughter seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17o1OlroNSE

Luwabra
02-06-2017, 02:41 PM

She will after school!! :)

Jaybee
02-06-2017, 02:54 PM
She will after school!! :)

My 4 and 2 year old ask for it every day. So I must know, where does one get a rainbow unicorn kit?

William
02-06-2017, 03:20 PM
wearing a trophy jersey feels a bit the same to me as buying military medals on Ebay and wearing them as if you did the deed.
Wearing a *vintage* or retro jersey is like wearing a WW2 Uniform at a historic military reinactment.

But that's just me :)

You don't want to end up starring in any "Stolen Palmarès" videos on youtube do you? :confused: :no: :)

As has been mentioned, there are a lot of current and former competitors out there who consider that something you just don't do unless you've earned it. I'm one who is also in that camp. That said, wear what you like, just know that you may or may not get ribbed for it. If you are fine with that...ride on.

William

kevinvc
02-06-2017, 03:27 PM
If I remember correctly, the Gentle Lovers racing team had a unicorn either barfing or farting a rainbow on their kits a few years ago. I'll have to look at some old image collections and see if I can find it.

Waldo
02-06-2017, 03:45 PM
That is rad.

I love tastefully (and sometimes tastelessly) designed jerseys of old, defunct teams. Since the teams don't exist, to me it's OK to wear their kit.

DRZRM
02-06-2017, 03:57 PM
I like it, and think you are good to go. I wouldn't race in it, but I avoid that embarrassment by not racing for the last 20 years.

MattTuck
02-06-2017, 04:01 PM
As has been mentioned, there are a lot of current and former competitors out there who consider that something you just don't do unless you've earned it. I'm one who is also in that camp. That said, wear what you like, just know that you may or may not get ribbed for it. If you are fine with that...ride on.

Huge difference between a recreational rider wearing a piece of branded advertising, and a professional cyclist riding in the rainbow stripes at a gran fondo when he didn't earn it.

I'm fairly certain if Peter Sagan passed you on a ride, and you were wearing that jersey, he'd be supportive of your fashion choices and wouldn't give you the ole pump in the spokes to teach you a lesson.

martl
02-06-2017, 04:06 PM
You don't want to end up starring in any "Stolen Palmarès" videos on youtube do you? :confused: :no: :)

William

Once, when doing a cycling spring holiday on Mallorca, our bunch of merry recreational riders ran into a very merry and loud group of other riders on the road. We happened to ride almost at the same speed, so we had a good look. One of them wore a dutch champion shirt, another a belgium one. Several had the same stripes on their sleeves, one the rainbow ones. First we thought "what a bunch of jerks"- We didn't recognize their faces and we didn't recognize their jersey sponsor which, we assumed, as being avid observers of the pro scene, we should have. Turned out they were pretty strong jerks, and they all rode Empellas....

Web research at night in our Hotel told us that that was the Cyclocross pro team "Spaar-Select", which united about 6 of the 10 best XC riders of the world, and all those colours and stripes were earned, and the reason they allowed us to ride with them (and the reason they were so merry) was very possibly because this was their end-of-season trip and they all were very much half-drunk from celebrating the night before :D

Two of them were pretty big fellas, so wasn't even last on that one hill we did together, but still, man, i'd have felt like a complete dork had i worn a rainbow jersey that day (which i don't do, see above).

It even felt a bit strange, but not as much, when i wore my woolistic Molteni jersey at the Giro Dolomiti and Gianni Motta rode up next to me, felt the fabric and asked me if that thing was genuine or a replica...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/Gianni_Motta_1966.jpg/220px-Gianni_Motta_1966.jpg
http://www.girodolomiti.com/images/gallery/2016/Il_Generale_Bosin_con_Gianni_Motta.jpg
(not me on the left :D)

R3awak3n
02-06-2017, 04:15 PM
you guys are crazy, you really think cats are going to ride up to him and asking if he is WC? Are you serious? and they they are disappointed that he is not. I ride past dudes with pokadot jersers all the time and I don't think they have participated in the tour, let alone won the climbers jersey.

I get it, some people take cycling too serious (some of you here), but to me its all very silly that he has to be a WC before wearing those stripes.

I am going to paint the WC stripes around my bike room, now I am scared one of yall come to my house and I have to tell you that I did not win a World Championship and its going to be disapointing and we can't be friends anymore

:banana::eek:

Mzilliox
02-06-2017, 04:18 PM

so radical

Mzilliox
02-06-2017, 04:19 PM
My 4 and 2 year old ask for it every day. So I must know, where does one get a rainbow unicorn kit?

seriously, i even googled it. who cares about world champs? unicorns are way more awesome!

velofinds
02-06-2017, 04:24 PM
you guys are crazy, you really think cats are going to ride up to him and asking if he is WC?

No, but I think some will cast silent judgment, which is arguably worse ;)

stephenmarklay
02-06-2017, 05:49 PM
you guys are crazy, you really think cats are going to ride up to him and asking if he is WC? Are you serious? and they they are disappointed that he is not. I ride past dudes with pokadot jersers all the time and I don't think they have participated in the tour, let alone won the climbers jersey.

I get it, some people take cycling too serious (some of you here), but to me its all very silly that he has to be a WC before wearing those stripes.

I am going to paint the WC stripes around my bike room, now I am scared one of yall come to my house and I have to tell you that I did not win a World Championship and its going to be disapointing and we can't be friends anymore

Well I have kinda long hair and I am getting jacked on my new years resolution diet. I would absolutely sign some autographs :cool:

stephenmarklay
02-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Honestly, I find it so absurd that I now HAVE to order it. I love the looks and now I will even love the looks of disdain even more.

choke
02-06-2017, 05:54 PM
I get it, some people take cycling too serious (some of you here), but to me its all very silly that he has to be a WC before wearing those stripes.Everyone has their own level of what's acceptable or what isn't. I wouldn't wear a WC or National Champion jersey, though it doesn't bother me if someone else does. That person made their choice of what they deem 'proper'.

However, I can see how it bothers some people, in particular those who won said jersey. For example, when I see someone wearing a Marpat blouse or trousers I can't help but wonder if they bought them because they thought it looked cool or if they earned it at MCRD.

Luwabra
02-06-2017, 05:57 PM

You crazy. Paint?! That's too far man your OVER THE LINE.

FlashUNC
02-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Wearing the WC stripes is the same as showing up to the pick-up game in full Michael Jordan-era Bulls apparel. Don't do it. Not because its sacrosanct, but because you'll look even more like a dweeb than we usually do.

http://deadspin.com/man-plays-pick-up-game-in-full-michael-jordan-uniform-1783126734

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xxR8MzRt--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/dcws97hd9ujc0ydt9hcu.jpg

hummus_aquinas
02-06-2017, 06:06 PM
^^^this dude rules. anyone who gets bent out of shape about people wearing world champ stripes is not your friend.

Luwabra
02-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Honestly, I find it so absurd that I now HAVE to order it. I love the looks and now I will even love the looks of disdain even more.

Agree.

wc1934
02-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Why does it matter what anyone else thinks? Wear what you like.

That said, my personal thoughts (for me) are that I will only wear a meaningful jersey like that after I've earned it. Team kit is a different story, I'll happily show support for a pro team the same way I do in other sports.

Exactly. If I wear a B's tee shirt no one thinks I am really a Bruin. If I wear an old Mapei jersey I know I wont be mistaken for Andrea Tafi, but I have gotten sh%t for wearing it.

FlashUNC
02-06-2017, 07:07 PM

It's more an acknowledgment of the work and sacrifice that goes into winning something like that.

Ive known a couple guys lucky enough to win national titles in masters categories either on the road or track. But they also worked their asses off and sacrificed a lot to win that jersey. I think it the diminishes the accomplishment of someone who's actually won it to wear it around casually. It's cool precisely because you've got to be a badass to get it. And that's not be talking about WC stripes.

Folks can wear what they want, but I think it's poor form.

Hank Scorpio
02-06-2017, 07:19 PM
Halter's cycles New Jersey

Jad
02-06-2017, 08:08 PM
No, but I think some will cast silent judgment, which is arguably worse ;)

Oh man, there's always someone silently judging.

Right on!

cadence90
02-06-2017, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't wear WC stripes, but this has been my grail jersey since it was issued in 2005, and I waited too long, until it was completely out of stock forever. :crap:

William
02-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Everyone has their own level of what's acceptable or what isn't. I wouldn't wear a WC or National Champion jersey, though it doesn't bother me if someone else does. That person made their choice of what they deem 'proper'.

However, I can see how it bothers some people, in particular those who won said jersey. For example, when I see someone wearing a Marpat blouse or trousers I can't help but wonder if they bought them because they thought it looked cool or if they earned it at MCRD.

It's more an acknowledgment of the work and sacrifice that goes into winning something like that.

Ive known a couple guys lucky enough to win national titles in masters categories either on the road or track. But they also worked their asses off and sacrificed a lot to win that jersey. I think it the diminishes the accomplishment of someone who's actually won it to wear it around casually. It's cool precisely because you've got to be a badass to get it. And that's not be talking about WC stripes.

Folks can wear what they want, but I think it's poor form.

I fall into both of these points. I don't care if anyone wears a their favorite team kit/jersey, I do as well. I feel differently about World/National title, Tour leader, best climber, or sprinter jerseys. Again, I don't really care if anyone else wants to wear the replicas, I wouldn't bother commenting about it to them. I would consider it to be poor form though. Heck, I could also go and buy replica world title belt and show up at the gym to work the bags and spar wearing it. I wouldn't do it though because I know what it takes to get to that level, the constant hard work and sacrifice to earn it. I don't say that because I worship the people who get to that level, I say (and feel) it because I respect what it takes to get to that level.

Because I personally feel that way I'll pass on wearing them myself. As always though ymmv. That said, feel free to wear what you want.

William

Gummee
02-06-2017, 08:49 PM
It's just a shirt. No one would confuse me for the real thing...

But, around here one has to be careful.

A few years ago I saw up the road the stars and stripes jersey. I thought that's cool, wonder where she go it? The woman was doing some short interval work and it was all I could to finally catch up after a few miles. Turns out it was megan gaurnier the USA woman's road champion. She was leaving Tibco for Rabobank. Hmmm guess she got it by winning.

There is a guy in the neighborhood that won his master's age group at the CX world championships a few years ago. he actually has a rainbow jersey. a real rainbow jersey. I run the dog by his house every day.
I have a similar story...

Was riding up the coast in Sandy Eggo one fine afternoon (aren't they all?!) and saw a natl champ jersey up the road

WhoTF is that wearing a natl champ jersey ON THE COAST?! For those not from Sandy Eggo, the coast is where you ride to go get coffee. It typically isn't for riding fast.

Got a little closer and got to thinking WhyTF is that guy in the natl champ jersey riding slo slowly

Got a little closer and recognized it as a REAL natl champ jersey and got to thinking I wonder who sold that guy his old jersey?!

Got a little closer and yup. DEFINITELY a natl champ jersy. Now I'm really confused!

Caught up to the guy and slowed down to chat. Turns out he wass the Men's 80-85YO national champion in the road race.

If I'm in half the shape at 80+ as that guy, I'll be happy

M

jlwdm
02-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Given that we're who we are (cyclists, many of us competitive cyclists), this isn't "just colors on a shirt." Sure, it is literally... like "POLICE" is just words on a shirt, or any political statement or expression is just bla bla on a bla bla.. but images that mean stuff, mean stuff.

Yea, you can wear World Champ jersey... just don't be annoyed when dudes ride up to you and A) want to know what you're World Champ of and B) are annoyed when you tell them you are not.

Don't wear a sign that says "I won a world championship title!" when you didn't.

The number of cyclists in the US who know what a World Championship Jersey is has got to be very, very small.

In Europe you see riders in full team kits every where you look.

Jeff

adub
02-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Saying you shouldn't wear a world championship jersey unless your a world champion makes as much sense as saying you shouldn't wear Rapha kit unless you make more than $150k a year. Oh, wait..

rwsaunders
02-06-2017, 10:00 PM
If you sleep with Peter Sagan, I guess that you can wear the WC stripes.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/make-peter-sagan-awkward-moment-aussie-journalist-doesnt-realise-hes-interviewing-mrs-sagan-308354

Black Dog
02-06-2017, 10:03 PM
OK, so wearing the kit of a pro team or any championship jersey is a taboo because of all the hard work and sacrifice needed to become a pro or even a champ, and lets be honest that the difference in ability between an average pro and a champion is not huge at that level. It only looks large under the microscope that we view the sport with. By this metric, is it OK to go out and buy the same frame, wheels, and components that they ride? Does this steal their accomplishment? Sometimes we take ourselves, as riders, and our sport too seriously; one of these is probably not ok. If someone is a fan or just likes the look of a jersey then all the power to them, if they ride and smile while doing it while we judge them then who is doing it right and who is doing it wrong? Wearing pro kit is not my bag, but man, if someone can dance without feeling self conscious then I envy them. :banana:

BPMasterman
02-06-2017, 10:04 PM
i uh just got a rainbow kit myself let's see if the attachment works...

amazing!!!!

19wisconsin64
02-07-2017, 06:16 AM
The percentage of people in the world who care has got to be one out of a hundred thousand to one in a million. And of those few people even fewer will actually see you cycling or in public wearing that jersey. But you need to know that if you go in public and wear that you will be judged by a few riders. Most cyclists really don't care though, and I don't....we are just highly a highly inquisitive bunch who are used to looking at small details.

My 2 cents-if it brings you joy, do it. Just have a good reason prepared to tell people if they ask like "I liked it, so I bought it to wear."

William
02-07-2017, 06:43 AM
Team kits are about advertising for the sponsors. Just like NASCAR the whole point is to get it out there.

World/National Championship jerseys are basically trophies for an individuals accomplishment. Traditionally it has been considered bad form to wear it if you didn't earn it. I personally wouldn't buy a replica championship belt and wear it, or a replica Olympic medal and wear it around either. I get that people want to wear what they want to wear, I'm just saying that was the tradition. I wouldn't, but that's just me.

William

Black Dog
02-07-2017, 06:56 AM
Team kits are about advertising for the sponsors. Just like NASCAR the whole point is to get it out there.

World/National Championship jerseys are basically trophies for an individuals accomplishment. Traditionally it has been considered bad form to wear it if you didn't earn it. I personally wouldn't buy a replica championship belt and wear it, or a replica Olympic medal and wear it around either. I get that people want to wear what they want to wear, I'm just saying that was the tradition. I wouldn't, but that's just me.

William

Championship Jerseys are advertising for sponsors. Everyone rider gets a real medal/trophy on the podium when they win a championship. It is the teams that wanted the jerseys to show the fans that the champion is on their team. Think of the most recent championship jersey; the world TT champion as an example. What other sport(s) has past or current champions wearing some sort of markings indicating such while they compete?

William
02-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Championship Jerseys are advertising for sponsors. Everyone rider gets a real medal/trophy on the podium when they win a championship. It is the teams that wanted the jerseys to show the fans that the champion is on their team. Think of the most recent championship jersey; the world TT champion as an example. What other sport(s) has past or current champions wearing some sort of markings indicating such while they compete?

True, but do you see anyone else on the team wearing that jersey(yellow/green/ /white/polka dot/rainbow/stars and stripes)? It doesn't matter whether it is the individuals accomplishment, or an individual's accomplishment with team help, it still marks that they are above and beyond at that moment in time. A sponsor may still want to put their mark on it, but that doesn't change what it is.

Amaze your friends!! Git yer Olympic replica medals heeeyar!!! :D
https://www.amazon.com/2016-Rio-Olympic-Souvenir-Medals/dp/B01ISBL8N0

William

bobswire
02-07-2017, 07:51 AM
OK, so wearing the kit of a pro team or any championship jersey is a taboo because of all the hard work and sacrifice needed to become a pro or even a champ, and lets be honest that the difference in ability between an average pro and a champion is not huge at that level. It only looks large under the microscope that we view the sport with. By this metric, is it OK to go out and buy the same frame, wheels, and components that they ride? Does this steal their accomplishment? Sometimes we take ourselves, as riders, and our sport too seriously; one of these is probably not ok. If someone is a fan or just likes the look of a jersey then all the power to them, if they ride and smile while doing it while we judge them then who is doing it right and who is doing it wrong? Wearing pro kit is not my bag, but man, if someone can dance without feeling self conscious then I envy them. :banana:

THIS! I'm Viet Vet but I would not deride anyone who wanted to wear camo because they didn't "earn" it. :)

William
02-07-2017, 07:57 AM
First off, thank you for your service to this country!

THIS! I'm Viet Vet but I would not deride anyone who wanted to wear camo because they didn't "earn" it. :)

I get that, but you might have an issue with someone walking around wearing a Purple Heart or any other medal on that camo if they didn't actually serve. Maybe you wouldn't, but I probably would.

Again, I'm just saying what the tradition has been, whether anyone else wants to adhere to that is your choice. I won't loose sleep over it.

William

Black Dog
02-07-2017, 08:11 AM
True, but do you see anyone else on the team wearing that jersey(yellow/green/ /white/polka dot/rainbow/stars and stripes)? It doesn't matter whether it is the individuals accomplishment, or an individual's accomplishment with team help, it still marks that they are above and beyond at that moment in time. A sponsor may still want to put their mark on it, but that doesn't change what it is.

Amaze your friends!! Git yer Olympic replica medals heeeyar!!! :D
https://www.amazon.com/2016-Rio-Olympic-Souvenir-Medals/dp/B01ISBL8N0

William

I agree 100% that the accomplishment is real. I just think that cycling is too vain about it with these jerseys. Remember when riders were trying to wear jerseys that showed the wearer had won the gold medal at the olympics? The IOC had to step in and put a halt to it. Does Usain Bolt wear gold shorts and top when he is running at some random event? I agree that there is a tradition in cycling of doing this, but it is not to honour the accomplishments of the individual, it is to exploit the accomplishment for the benefit of the sponsors.

bpiecuch
02-07-2017, 08:12 AM
I wear a pair of "world champion" socks, because they're comfortable and the colors compliment most of my other kits. (The neon yellow socks just don't match much else...)

I've never had anyone ask me what championship I won. I highly doubt anyone cares or even notices, nor do I.

For those of you who own/ride "Team Replica" bikes, do you get harassed because of it? Should you not own/ride that bike? Seriously, we're all trying to emulate the Pro's and their gear. Same with running attire, basketball shoes, team jerseys, hats, etc...

It's pretty clear that none of us are Pro's or World Champions, the jersey design isn't going to change that fact.

purpurite
02-07-2017, 08:40 AM

I was going to write this almost exactly, but YES, totally. Cyclists are such dopes that someone wearing a rainbow jersey bothers them. I find it funny that no one has a problem with a National or World Champ wearing one around the neighborhood or on a training ride, as if somehow being a pompous braggart is better than being a poseur.

We're all morons.

bobswire
02-07-2017, 08:41 AM
I wear a pair of "world champion" socks, because they're comfortable and the colors compliment most of my other kits. (The neon yellow socks just don't match much else...)

I've never had anyone ask me what championship I won. I highly doubt anyone cares or even notices, nor do I.

For those of you who own/ride "Team Replica" bikes, do you get harassed because of it? Should you not own/ride that bike? Seriously, we're all trying to emulate the Pro's and their gear. Same with running attire, basketball shoes, team jerseys, hats, etc...

It's pretty clear that none of us are Pro's or World Champions, the jersey design isn't going to change that fact.

Even those who have won a jersey are questioned if they deserve it or not.
1956 Tour Winner Walkowiak who recently passed away was ridiculed. Quote:
Although Walkowiak was applauded at the finish in the Parc des Princes, the reaction to his victory elsewhere was muted, with many highlighting the divisions in the French national team and Bauvin’s crash in the Pyrenees as explanations for the upset triumph. The journalist Albert Baker d’Isy complained that “it’s clear that a winner of the Tour who didn’t win a single stage lacks a bit of panache,” though Tour director Jacques Goddet was vocal in his praise of the unexpected winner.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/1956-tour-de-france-winner-roger-walkowiak-dies-aged-89/

Moral of the story you can't please everyone, c'est la vie.

Gummee
02-07-2017, 08:44 AM
I wear my Dad's VN era uniform blouse to work. I'll get at least a comment/week asking 'is that yours?'

Then I have to explain that this is my Dad's and MY BDUs don't make such a good work shirt

The uniform blouse I'm wearing is de-mil-ed, but I still have one with the patches on it. Wore that for Halloween. First time it's been worn in 5ish decades and it's still starched.

M

Seramount
02-07-2017, 09:36 AM
just curious, has any professional rider ever stated publicly that they have an issue with someone wearing the WC colors...?

'cause if they don't care, not sure why anyone else should.

William
02-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Sox? Well if we're going to break it down that far what about Rainbow headbands or stars and stripes jockey shorts? :D As far as I remember no one was talking team kits or replica team bikes either.

Obviously it bothers people to think that someone else might think they shouldn't wear a specific Championship/National Champ jersey. In the racing circles I came up in (and other's as been stated) it's just one of those things you don't do. You can say "eff that" if you want to, as I said earlier, I won't loose sleep over it or get my undies in a bunch if I pass you on the road.

William

bobswire
02-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Sox? Well if we're going to break it down that far what about Rainbow headbands or stars and stripes jockey shorts? :D As far as I remember no one was talking team kits or replica team bikes either.

Obviously it bothers people to think that someone else might think they shouldn't wear a specific Championship/National Champ jersey. In the racing circles I came up in (and other's as been stated) it's just one of those things you don't do. You can say "eff that" if you want to, as I said earlier, I won't loose sleep over it or get my undies in a bunch
If I pass you on the road.

William

That'll be the day. :D

William
02-07-2017, 11:03 AM
That'll be the day. :D

I love a good shallange!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPsULW-wYc

William

Dead Man
02-07-2017, 11:03 AM
just curious, has any professional rider ever stated publicly that they have an issue with someone wearing the WC colors...?

You'd need to ask the ... 3? that are allowed to wear the colors. Professional cyclists opinion would be no better than anyone else's, barring the handful that have earned the honor of sporting the piping. If you include retired, that ups it tolike... what, maybe 50 people, in a given discipline?

Those are the mofos you'd need to ask... and they'll probably be way too humble to actually SAY they'd rather not see pot-bellied bald guys on clinchers rolling around wearing THE badge of honor that distinguishes a world champ from everyone else.

Dead Man
02-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Obviously it bothers people to think that someone else might think they shouldn't wear a specific Championship/National Champ jersey. In the racing circles I came up in (and other's as been stated) it's just one of those things you don't do. You can say "eff that" if you want to, as I said earlier, I won't loose sleep over it or get my undies in a bunch if I pass you on the road.

UCI rules are that worlds colors are worn around the midriff, collar, and sleeve cuffs. Anywhere else, it's just annadornment like any other.

Around the middle it's a worlds jersey, worn for the year the champ currently holds the title, and then for life around the cuffs and collar. If you wear worlds colors in one of these manners, you are making the claim that you're either current title holder or have won the title at some point... it's the whole purpose for the colors. exactly like wearing medals on a military uniform, "this is my accomplishment, my qualification."

FlashUNC
02-07-2017, 11:22 AM
I was going to write this almost exactly, but YES, totally. Cyclists are such dopes that someone wearing a rainbow jersey bothers them. I find it funny that no one has a problem with a National or World Champ wearing one around the neighborhood or on a training ride, as if somehow being a pompous braggart is better than being a poseur.

We're all morons.

Apologies to Will Rogers: It ain't bragging if it's true.

For the poser, it ain't.

bobswire
02-07-2017, 11:26 AM
I love a good shallange!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPsULW-wYc

William

Thanks for dat,got to get me some original pink panther to watch.

purpurite
02-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Apologies to Will Rogers: It ain't bragging if it's true.

Sorry to Will, but that's actually the dictionary definition of bragging (excessively proud and boastful talk about one's achievements or possessions).

Idris Icabod
02-07-2017, 11:52 AM

I met Matt White at the Tour of Britain several years ago when he was DS of Garmin. There was a guy in full Garmin kit with an old team issue bike ride up. Matt White was absolutely ecstatic to have such a loyal fan, went over and thanked him for the support and talked about the history of the bike.

shovelhd
02-07-2017, 11:56 AM
I have a classic 70's LS acrylic jersey with WC cuffs that I'll wear on cold off-season rides. Doesn't bother me or anyone else. Now if you show up to the line with stripes you didn't earn, then we will have a conversation. Because, rules.

mjalder2
02-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Also,

Rule number 16 (http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#16)

Forgive me if someone already posted and I missed it.

FlashUNC
02-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Sorry to Will, but that's actually the dictionary definition of bragging (excessively proud and boastful talk about one's achievements or possessions).

And if you win the darn thing, you can rock it till the cows come home. But the MAMIL weekend warrior wearing it because he thinks its "cool"? No way.

I don't get the reasoning that says the winner of the darn thing wearing it is bragging, but the MAMIL wearing it is entitled to do whatever he wants.

William
02-07-2017, 02:36 PM
I met Matt White at the Tour of Britain several years ago when he was DS of Garmin. There was a guy in full Garmin kit with an old team issue bike ride up. Matt White was absolutely ecstatic to have such a loyal fan, went over and thanked him for the support and talked about the history of the bike.

Apples and oranges to what I'm talking about...already explained that.

William

purpurite
02-08-2017, 08:00 AM
I don't get the reasoning that says the winner of the darn thing wearing it is bragging, but the MAMIL wearing it is entitled to do whatever he wants.

And I don't get why some of you give a crap about what someone else is wearing when they ride their bike.

BobC
02-08-2017, 08:16 AM
I have mixed feelings on the issue. Seems to be a lot of rules & exceptions to the rules & rules to the exceptions.

Personally I'd only ride my team kit. But OTOH I would get a huge kick if I saw some young kid out riding while sporting a World Champs jersey (ala a Barca or United jersey). To me it would show that kid is into riding & that is awesome (and we should support that).

Final random thought: If the company is selling a World Champ kit, doesn't that mean it is OK for us mere mortals to wear it?

William
02-08-2017, 08:20 AM
I have mixed feelings on the issue. Seems to be a lot of rules & exceptions to the rules & rules to the exceptions.

Personally I'd only ride my team kit. But OTOH I would get a huge kick if I saw some young kid out riding while sporting a World Champs jersey (ala a Barca or United jersey). To me it would show that kid is into riding & that is awesome (and we should support that).

Final random thought: If the company is selling a World Champ kit, doesn't that mean it is OK for us mere mortals to wear it?

It means they can make some money. :)

William

William
02-08-2017, 08:26 AM
And I don't get why some of you give a crap about what someone else is wearing when they ride their bike.

Wear what you want. All we are saying is that these particular jersey’s are trophies for an individuals accomplishments. They earned them.

I wouldn’t ride around wearing a replica Olympic Road race medal, or walk around wearing a world title boxing/Muay Thai belt, or put replica trophies on my mantle I didn’t earn myself just because I think they look cool.

Again, do what you want, but folks here seem to be getting upset that some people respect the tradition. If you think it looks cool and makes you feel good then hey...eff the tradition. :)

Back in my collegiate racing days we had State and National champs on the team. No, they didn't wear their Jerseys all the time, but they definitely earned them. As much as I think they were cool looking jerseys, I wouldn't show up to a ride wearing a replica. if you would...more power to you.

William

Seramount
02-08-2017, 08:33 AM

kinda what I figured...

the guys that put in the work to be a pro know that a fan wearing the colors is just showing admiration.

can't imagine they'd be offended by the gesture.

Gummee
02-08-2017, 08:37 AM
kinda what I figured...

the guys that put in the work to be a pro know that a fan wearing the colors is just showing admiration.

can't imagine they'd be offended by the gesture.

I'll posit that there's a difference between an old geezer like me wearing the team kit and a young kid wearing it.

I don't tend to wear team kits period, but if I did, it'd be something vintage. Old Mapei stuff or old Z stuff or maybe even old Coors Light stuff. ...but that's me. Wear what makes YOU happy

M

bobswire
02-08-2017, 08:37 AM

You mean like one of these that the UCI hopes and prays that fans will buy the licensed gear to help support the sport?

http://i.imgur.com/xrm6e91m.png

William
02-08-2017, 08:43 AM
You mean like one of these that the UCI hopes and prays that fans will buy the licensed gear to help support the sport?

http://i.imgur.com/xrm6e91m.png

Yup, to make money because they know there are people who will wear them. Have at it.

William

William
02-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Again, team kits aren't what I'm talking about.

I know a number of folks who have bought those Tour classification jerseys...they spend a lot of time in the closet. :)

William

jischr
02-08-2017, 10:20 AM
What's BFD in cycling? Hockey, baseball, American football, worldwide football, everyone wears team clothes often with names and numbers and no one thinks oooh there goes super bowl QB Kurt Warner, there goes Tom Petty. Is this a US mindset for the most part? Not wearing a local teams kit if your of age to be in the team I can understand. Your actions could reflect poorly on the team. But for a pro team or world champ? I don't see it.

mjalder2
02-08-2017, 10:27 AM
What's BFD in cycling? Hockey, baseball, American football, worldwide football, everyone wears team clothes often with names and numbers and no one thinks oooh there goes super bowl QB Kurt Warner, there goes Tom Petty. Is this a US mindset for the most part? Not wearing a local teams kit if your of age to be in the team I can understand. Your actions could reflect poorly on the team. But for a pro team or world champ? I don't see it.

Again, the argument is about championship jerseys, not so much team kit, but I would say the difference is less like me walking around town in my favorite player's Jersey, and more like me rolling up to a game of pick-up soccer in a Thierry Henry jersey. Could I do it, yes. Should I, only if I can play like Henry. ( Which I most definitely can't. Unless he's broken both of his legs in retirement.)

William
02-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Again, the argument is about championship jerseys, not so much team kit, but I would say the difference is less like me walking around town in my favorite player's Jersey, and more like me rolling up to a game of pick-up soccer in a Thierry Henry jersey. Could I do it, yes. Should I, only if I can play like Henry. ( Which I most definitely can't. Unless he's broken both of his legs in retirement.)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/538637e02e94abee3ce36796129b78e0/tumblr_n599rfk8Oo1qz4sowo1_500.gif

:D:D:D

William

seanile
02-08-2017, 11:23 AM
who here has one of these on their dresser?
http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/9cz/p56/9czp56kcE.jpeg

BobO
02-08-2017, 12:13 PM
As much as I think they were cool looking jerseys, I wouldn't show up to a ride wearing a replica. if you would...more power to you.
William

I think there may be a subtle but important distinction to be made on this point. Is it different showing up for a ride versus just noodling around on your own?

dancinkozmo
02-08-2017, 12:47 PM
...i would NEVER wear the WC jersey ....dont like to draw attention to myself.
i DO show up to group rides in this:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KpNHnruv7y4/WJICjU5HzaI/AAAAAAAAZW8/WKpalwr8PZMeyBoSS4zSW-3J9qWl0YK0wCLcB/s1600/campy.jpg

dancinkozmo
02-08-2017, 12:50 PM
who here has one of these on their dresser?
http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/9cz/p56/9czp56kcE.jpeg

did you know those are filled with chocolate ?

KJMUNC
02-08-2017, 01:25 PM
WC/leaders jerseys are out for me.....personal preference and respect.

That said, all my current bikes are former team bikes (Quick Step, Mapei, Z Team and Liquigas) but I don't go full fred and match my kit to the bike.

I do ride in Dimension Data kit on occasion as I'm part of the ownership of one of the sponsoring firms and the kit was offered to us. I also have several Woolistic team jerseys and don't see an issue with that, even though one has Belgian champion stripes on the sleeve.

So basically, ride what you want but know what some people won't like it....but that's life. Just have a beer and don't sweat the small stuff. :beer:

Black Dog
02-08-2017, 01:56 PM
I think the problem in cycling is that the championship jerseys have become de facto trophies in the eyes of the fans (some fans). There are real trophies/medals giving to the champions. The jerseys were never intended to be trophies, they were created for marketing purposes for the team sponsors. That does not change how some folks now perceive them. I see both sides here and I think where you stand depends on your perception of the jersey's purpose(s). For the record, I don't wear pro team kit or championship kit. Mostly because I am not on those teams nor did I win the race, nor do I want to be billboard. I do not think that there is a problem wearing them however. If there was a real issue in the pro ranks then the teams etc would not be selling the kit and champion jerseys. They are sold and endorsed by the teams, they are not illegal knock offs that teams, UCI, etc are trying to stop. I would suspect that the those that have won the right to wear the jersey do not care if Randy Rider is wearing one on his club ride.

Dead Man
02-08-2017, 02:20 PM
I think the problem in cycling is that the championship jerseys have become de facto trophies in the eyes of the fans (some fans). There are real trophies/medals giving to the champions. The jerseys were never intended to be trophies, they were created for marketing purposes for the team sponsors. That does not change how some folks now perceive them. I see both sides here and I think where you stand depends on your perception of the jersey's purpose(s). For the record, I don't wear pro team kit or championship kit. Mostly because I am not on those teams nor did I win the race, nor do I want to be billboard. I do not think that there is a problem wearing them however. If there was a real issue in the pro ranks then the teams etc would not be selling the kit and champion jerseys. They are sold and endorsed by the teams, they are not illegal knock offs that teams, UCI, etc are trying to stop. I would suspect that the those that have won the right to wear the jersey do not care if Randy Rider is wearing one on his club ride.

I know I've already made the same point like 3 times now, but I'm gonna do it again....

The piping is different than a jersey. The piping is worn on ANY jersey, not A jersey, for the champion's entire career/life. It's a huge honor to be able to sports those colors on your collar or sleeve cuffs. Whether you ride for Sky or Astana or EQ or whoever, you'll always have those colors around your collar and sleeves. Whether you wear a yellow jersey for part or all of a race, those colors will be on THAT jersey also. And you take that jersey off, when that race is over - but when you put your normal team kit back on, you still wear those World Champ colors.

Worlds colors are a totally different topic than any other kind of thing a person can wear. You can't support any brand or team or rider by wearing them. You're not paying homage to anything by wearing them. They're a unique topic.

cdn_bacon
02-08-2017, 03:00 PM

want!

from where did you get such magnificence

Mzilliox
02-08-2017, 03:25 PM
yup... still winter:butt:

Seramount
02-08-2017, 03:49 PM
rut roh...

my Serotta-made Ti Paramount has the WC colors in 3 places.

one at each end of the DT panel and another that goes thru the 'P' decal on the ST.

guess I should probably get to sanding those off, wouldn't want to pizz anyone off...

BobO
02-08-2017, 04:42 PM
They're a unique topic.

Well, worlds and nationals.

William
02-08-2017, 05:35 PM
rut roh...

my Serotta-made Ti Paramount has the WC colors in 3 places.

one at each end of the DT panel and another that goes thru the 'P' decal on the ST.

guess I should probably get to sanding those off, wouldn't want to pizz anyone off...

Torch your stars and bars jockey shorts while you're at it too! :D

https://kim880712.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/bananawithfire.gif?w=495

William