PDA

View Full Version : To spare or not to spare, that is the question (tubular talk)

floxy1
02-06-2017, 07:13 AM
I've been on tubulars in the past (Tufo Elite ride) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Never got stranded any more than other catastrophic bike issues but somehow reliability got me back on carbon clinchers. Just picked up a set of Reynolds tubies from rchman and debating the merits of proactive sealant with emergency dose with carrying a spare. Curious with some advancements in sealant if most are using this or still carrying spares?

El Chaba
02-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Other people have either more faith or better luck with sealant (or both) than I do. I carry a spare and can't imagine riding unsupported without one.

AngryScientist
02-06-2017, 07:28 AM
depends on the ride you're on, and just how inconvenienced you would be if you flatted and the leak wont seal. if i'm going to be within a 20 mile or so radius from home and my wife or buddies are probably around, i'll roll with just a bottle of stans in my pocket, any more than that and i carry the spare.

abr5
02-06-2017, 07:29 AM
When I used to ride tubulars regularly, I would always carry a bottle of sealant (Stan's), a valve remover, and a couple of co2 cartridges. I flatted halfway up Mt Mitchell a few years ago and was able to ride the 15 miles up and 30 back down the mountain with no issues.

merckx
02-06-2017, 07:36 AM
For god's sake, carry a spare tub. Somewhere in a dark closet you must also have a Binda strap, no?

martl
02-06-2017, 08:09 AM
i always carry a spare. How else should other riders know i'm a badass who's riding tubulars.

flydhest
02-06-2017, 08:16 AM
i always carry a spare. How else should other riders know i'm a badass who's riding tubulars.

+1

john903
02-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by martl "I always carry a spare. How else should other riders know i'm a badass who's riding tubulars."

+1

Vamoots58
02-06-2017, 09:13 AM
I have a pre-glued Tufo Jet 160. It folds down to not much bigger than a gravel tire inner tube. I carry it in my jersey pocket, and carry a vittoria pit stop. The Jet is a 'get me home in an emergency' tire, but its small size makes it a no-brainer to carry.

flydhest
02-06-2017, 09:23 AM
In all seriousness, I am curious about folks who do just sealant, no spare. I just started using sealant and it is too soon to tell what my luck is (5 rides or so) but would love to hear experiences.

terry
02-06-2017, 09:31 AM
I always carry a spare-never trusted sealant nor do I want to rely on or inconvenience anyone else.

floxy1
02-06-2017, 09:36 AM
When I was running road tubeless I had a lot of issues with holes too big for sealent to plug. i started putting glitter (purple) in the sealent and I think it helped.

Thanks for tip on the Tufo jet.

dan682
02-06-2017, 10:08 AM
In all seriousness, I am curious about folks who do just sealant, no spare. I just started using sealant and it is too soon to tell what my luck is (5 rides or so) but would love to hear experiences.

I will admit, I don't ride with a spare tubular. I carry a 4oz bottle of orange seal and it has worked the 2 times I've gotten flats. But if I'm out further than about 20 miles from home, I ride my clinchers.

FlashUNC
02-06-2017, 10:11 AM
No tire, just sealant. No real issues.

steamer
02-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Honest question: What's the downside of carrying a spare?

etu
02-06-2017, 10:12 AM
last flat I had, it was pretty messy with sealant spewing all over the place. no spare either.:(
walked five miles to a bus stop.
yes, I carry a spare now.

RobJ
02-06-2017, 10:14 AM

:beer:

I have a pre-glued Tufo Jet 160. It folds down to not much bigger than a gravel tire inner tube. I carry it in my jersey pocket, and carry a vittoria pit stop. The Jet is a 'get me home in an emergency' tire, but its small size makes it a no-brainer to carry.

First set of road tubulars coming so thanks for the tip on the Tufo

floxy1
02-06-2017, 11:28 AM

Well, knowing there are options for a lightweight tubular that folds down small , I don't think much.

lhuerta
02-06-2017, 11:45 AM
First off, don't return to habits of old....avoid Tufo tubulars (real ****e!)....euro mail order places have Vitt Corsa CX and Paves on blowout ....look around and u can get them for about $35

Second, carry a spare.

Third, carry a bottle of sealant. I have had amazing luck with Bontrager TLR....has sealed big holes and all u need is one ounce.

Fourth, do not pre-treat tubulars with sealant. Simply carry a valve core remover and CO2.

Fifth...shake, stir and enjoy

ultraman6970
02-06-2017, 12:07 PM
My 2 cents... like 30 years using tubbies and my only hiatus was when I came to the us and I was forced to go clinchers because coudlnt find tubulars nowhere, after a year having punctures virtually every weekend and after seeing the prices of the tires I moved to tubulars.

With tubulars you have to be lucky aswell but IME you get less punctures. Carry a spare? hell yes... I dont carry a pump neither air cans :D If the tubular is good to retirement and you puncture like 2 miles away from home, just ride flat. Just be careful, riding flat is not hard just put the big chainring and seat really back of the saddle if the front is flat, if the rear is flat well the obvious, stand over the pedals with all the weight at the front wheel. If the tubular is old dont even worth your time to remove it if you are close to home. Obviously if you are far like 5 miles or more or half way you have to swap it or call a cab.

FlashUNC
02-06-2017, 12:15 PM

I find it needless duplication. Sealant's done enough to take care of any flat issues I've had, and the one time I had to call a car, a spare tire wouldn't have helped me any.

teleguy57
02-06-2017, 01:11 PM
For god's sake, carry a spare tub. Somewhere in a dark closet you must also have a Binda strap, no?

I have a Christophe, is that a good alternative?

Indeed. Although mine is in an Arendel Tubi bag (to keep it clean, plus I have a few small tools in it as well) so many people don't actually know I'm on tubs.

I do carry a bottle of Stan's and a valve core removal tool as well. That's my first course of action with the remove/replace drill as a fallback. Also allows me to anticipate potentially two punctures, which the guy who is on my solo rides with me has never experienced (avoiding hubris and the resulting consequences :D). Even been known to carry two spares while on long solo unsupported rides. Belt and suspenders (or more).

No CO2 for me; frame pump mounted on NDS seatstay old-school style. Has gotten much more use by other who flatted clinchers than for my own tires.

chiasticon
02-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Honest question: What's the downside of carrying a spare?annoyance of having it under the saddle? if you swap bikes a lot or just don't get on well with things under the saddle (due to aesthetics or your legs just hit them, or whatever) it would be preferable to move the tire somewhere else. only other options are bottle cage and jersey pocket. (or yes, wrapped around your shoulders.) and both of those present different annoyances/challenges. so I understand the question.

honestly, the need to carry a whole other tire plus sealant is part of the reason I've never gotten into road tubulars. and I don't want to decide whether/not to carry a spare just based on the ride, as sometimes my rides can go from short to super long, should I run into someone or have a change of mind, etc.

but maybe someday I will, when I'm retired and can just call the wife while I walk to the nearest bar to await pickup...

oldpotatoe
02-06-2017, 02:13 PM
I've been on tubulars in the past (Tufo Elite ride) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Never got stranded any more than other catastrophic bike issues but somehow reliability got me back on carbon clinchers. Just picked up a set of Reynolds tubies from rchman and debating the merits of proactive sealant with emergency dose with carrying a spare. Curious with some advancements in sealant if most are using this or still carrying spares?

I put goop in all my tubular(only ride tubulars, own no clinchers-Nancy) and I carry a spare, wrapped appropriately with a spare Campag toe strap, secured under my saddle.

Don't really want to send this off in another direction but I don't get people who carry a bunch of tools. Road riding. I have needed a 'tool' once in 30 years, loose cleat bolt. Spare tire, frame pump.

floxy1
02-06-2017, 07:35 PM
I put goop in all my tubular(only ride tubulars, own no clinchers-Nancy) and I carry a spare, wrapped appropriately with a spare Campag toe strap, secured under my saddle.

Don't really want to send this off in another direction but I don't get people who carry a bunch of tools. Road riding. I have needed a 'tool' once in 30 years, loose cleat bolt. Spare tire, frame pump.

Agree with tool comment. I only carry for first ride after major cockpit changes when I might need a minor tweak.

Ryun
02-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Always a spare. Pre glued track tubulars roll nice and small

fogrider
02-07-2017, 03:15 AM
I always carry a spare and a bottle of sealant. I also have a few tires stashed along my route.

martl
02-07-2017, 03:52 AM
Always a spare. Pre glued track tubulars roll nice and small

Thats what some of the oldtimers do- Conti Podium, for example.

There simply are flats where sealant is not enough. I rolled over small piece of angled sheet metal once, the bike weight made it flip up, so it cut the sidewall of the tire over 10 centimeters. Another time, i had my bike supported by a lamppost while pumping the tire. Bike started to roll, valveshaft broke in the pumps head...

oldpotatoe
02-07-2017, 05:18 AM
I always carry a spare and a bottle of sealant. I also have a few tires stashed along my route.

Stash a spare bike?:D:rolleyes:

RobJ
02-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Or you could run one of these for 19 bucks...

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

fogrider
02-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Nothing is worst than a crappy tubular! Especially if you need it to get you home.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

chiasticon
02-07-2017, 11:25 AM
I also have a few tires stashed along my route....mounted to wheels, with a guy on the side of the road, holding them up high, just in case... :D

fogrider
02-07-2017, 11:29 AM
...mounted to wheels, with a guy on the side of the road, holding them up high, just in case... :D
I wish! Coffee bag and under a few rocks by a sign.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Spdntrxi
02-07-2017, 11:51 AM
No spare.. don't carry selent either.. it's already in the tubs. I just say to the wife I hope I don't call have to call you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronsonic
02-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Or you could run one of these for 19 bucks...

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

I've gotten plenty of good miles out of those without flats. Keeping as the spares now.