PDA

View Full Version : Riding Alpenrose Velodrome

KevinK
08-04-2006, 05:52 PM
In July, I ventured north to the Alpenrose Velodrome for some of the weekly series track racing. For those who have not seen or riden Alpenrose, it is a steeply banked 268.48 meter track just south of Portland, OR. The banking is listed at 42 degrees but seems almost vertical when riding on it for the first time. This picture gives you a sense of the steepness of the turns. In this picture the racers are taking a neutral lap at about 18mph. Riders must maintain a speed of at least 12mph around the turn or they will slide off. Things happen much faster than on the road, and just trying to ride a straight line at speed can be a challenge. If you've not tried racing on a track, find the closest one and give it a shot. If you don't gain anything else from the experience, it will at least give you an excuse to buy a track bike!

bironi
08-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Nice pic. I like to watch.

shinomaster
08-04-2006, 09:16 PM
I rode on the track once and had a good time. When you hit the corners at about 25mph you can really feel the g-forces...mess with your head.

William
08-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I've ridden Alpenrose a number of times. It's hairy but soooo much fun. Somewhere there is a picture taken from the top of the corner looking down on the riders. It looks like they are on a vertical wall. Pretty cool. :cool:

William

Too Tall
08-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Check the "sprinter" about to drop to the sprinters line and block traffic :rolleyes: I hate that.

Cool track pic. I'd LOVE to race there.

Ginger
08-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Hmmm, that looks like the velodrome in Rochester...