PDA

View Full Version : Cables. Shimano or Jagwire

Cicli
02-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Any differences?
Looking to build another bike. I have always likes Jagwire Road Pro cable kits and had them work great. Are the new fancy schmancy Shimano cables worth the extra? I cant tell the difference so long as things are properly cut and smooth. Thoughts?

timnem70
02-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Haven't used the Shimano. Always used JW. If it functions and shifts smoothly, brakes well and looks good... why change or spend more $. On somthing like cable, it's probably negligible

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

shovelhd
02-05-2017, 12:44 PM
If you're talking about the 9000 polymer coated cables, I vote yes. I only use the brake cables.

rccardr
02-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Other than on the 11-speed Shimano groups, I use the 'spensive Shimano stainless cables for both brakes and shifters, even for (gulp) Campagnolo stuff. Keep in mind that my newest Campagnolo pieces were made in 1982. Paired with the latest Jagwire housing, they stay tuned and rust free for, well, pretty much forever as long as you don't mess with them. Seriously, have that setup on my Merckx Professional with DA 7700 9 speed STI, and they have required virtually no adjustment and still shift like new some six years and 9,000 miles later.

Have used the JW road kits as well, and they were nicely when new, just no long term experience with them. For all I know, they're every bit as good athe combo above.

kgreene10
02-05-2017, 02:09 PM
I have been riding DA 9000 for a while now and although the local mechanics who I trust swear that the polymer is worth it, I haven't noticed anything but excellent shifting and braking with the Jagwire cheapies.

Gummee
02-05-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm a fan of the SP-41 housing for everything, and then it depends on where the cables run as to what cables I'm using:

9sp cables/housing run outside the tape: normal housing, SRAM milled cables
10sp cables/housing run under the tape: either Shimano PTFE cables or Optislick depending on whether the owner is 'a cyclist' or not
11sp: Optislick or 9000 depening on what the gruppo is (105 and Ultegra: Optislick, D/A: D/A)

HTH

M

edited to add: SRAM get PTFE or Optislick 'cause that bend just outside the bars sucks and needs as slick a cable as you can get

Hilltopperny
02-05-2017, 02:20 PM
I just built up 2 bikes with new 11spd shimano groups with the PTFE coating and like how they work. Only have a few hundred miles on them, but no worries or issues so far and I'm riding them both in crappy northeast weather. I wouldn't say they are necessarily any better than the jagwire stuff though.