PDA

View Full Version : anyone else caught in the federal hiring freeze?

jimcav
02-03-2017, 07:41 PM
just curious. Gives me plenty of time to think about living in my van, but i am pretty bummed as i was really close to a job but HR couldn't get of their butts and move paperwork fast enough. More time to ride the trails once they dry out I guess.
jim

ultraman6970
02-03-2017, 07:44 PM
This includes counties or is just federal DC jobs the ones affected??

jimcav
02-03-2017, 07:53 PM
that was what i was told--no new federal hiring. This happened during sequestration too, and if memory serves with a few of the continuing resolution budgets too, but i think that was Agency specific (ie DoD hiring freeze). This one is all federal gov't:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/us/politics/federal-hiring-freeze.html?_r=0

Louis
02-03-2017, 08:17 PM
But Jim, I'm sure you're feeling great again...

sales guy
02-03-2017, 08:36 PM
to the OP, I am not caught in it. But I have a brother in law who is. He works for NASA and does critical work for the ISS at times. He is in the middle of something right now to fix a problem with power supply. He was told to stop what he was doing by the bosses due to a directive from someone in a big fancy house in DC. When he tried to tell the people in DC about it, they said that space is a stupid waste of money and no one cares!

But remember, we're making things great again!

jimcav
02-03-2017, 08:47 PM
But Jim, I'm sure you're feeling great again...

imagine me just laughing and laughing but then it gradually turns to tears :D
I really am trying to force myself to be positive--as I know so many have it worse. But I really hoped when i retired from the military I'd get to do what I want to do, but instead I am enabling my wife's desire (mostly inertia) to stay until the kids go to college. I ended up with a work from home job, which I hate, but at least on paper it allowed me the flexibility to get back into running and riding. Well the Achilles surgery wasn't as advertised, and now my wear and tear from years of navy grinder PT and various falls has caught up to me and I have a cervical nerve thing that is making my left arm ache/really hurt and loose grip strength. So I have the lovely weather here and what i love to do in it, run and ride, I'm doing very little of.
But today was the 4th time I've tried to run since November 2013, and I made it 3 miles shuffling along. Felt like a spike was being driven into my left trap, but it is progress.
Right now I want to recover and get to the point where I can be, as the line from the country song goes:
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was"

cmg
02-03-2017, 09:14 PM
the office was suppose to bring in new employees to reduce the workload but no, the crazy has decided to extend the agony. the weeks fly by :mad:

jlwdm
02-03-2017, 09:40 PM
to the OP, I am not caught in it. But I have a brother in law who is. He works for NASA and does critical work for the ISS at times. He is in the middle of something right now to fix a problem with power supply. He was told to stop what he was doing by the bosses due to a directive from someone in a big fancy house in DC. When he tried to tell the people in DC about it, they said that space is a stupid waste of money and no one cares!

But remember, we're making things great again!

Space has not been a priority for quite a while. But there are more private companies involved.

Jeff

jlwdm
02-03-2017, 09:44 PM
the office was suppose to bring in new employees to reduce the workload but no, the crazy has decided to extend the agony. the weeks fly by :mad:

It is good to have hiring freezes now and again. A time to set priorities and get more efficient. Unfortunately the weak employees are usually still around.

Jeff

Louis
02-03-2017, 09:50 PM
It is good to have hiring freezes now and again. A time to set priorities and get more efficient. Unfortunately the weak employees are usually still around.

You been reading Ayn Rand again? :(

shovelhd
02-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Please no politics

dave thompson
02-03-2017, 10:19 PM
My son was supposed to have a gig with either the State dept or the DIA this spring. Looks like not gonna happen.

sales guy
02-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Space has not been a priority for quite a while. But there are more private companies involved.

Jeff

I know there are more private companies involved. But the ISS is still Govt owned, run and funded. And there are astronauts up there. If I was up there I'd be pissed if someone was working on problems that come up while traveling at 17,000mph in a soda can, and people downstairs decided it's no big deal and to not work on fixing those problems. Just my opinion of course but it's massive BS.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2017, 05:37 AM

Jeff

Unless you are the one trying to get 'that job'..I had a job at the FAA after I retired..until the hiring freeze...

sjbraun
02-04-2017, 08:16 AM
I work for the VA. Despite what you read about the VA as a whole, at my facility we really work hard to provide access to care. One of the biggest issues impacting access is that we can't offer salaries that are competitive with the private sector. This means fewer providers and longer wait times.
When the freeze was announced, we were concerned that access to care would only worsen. While the freeze was thawed for health care workers shortly after it was implemented, it remains in effect for all the administrative employees who recruit, process and hire. So sure, we can hire nurses and docs, but we lack the staff to shepherd them through the hiring process. In the end, Veterans will still be left waiting for care.
And don't get started on the "send them to the private sector for care" solution. The Choice program isn't working because capacity in the private sector is often worse than the VA.

jlwdm
02-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Unless you are the one trying to get 'that job'..I had a job at the FAA after I retired..until the hiring freeze...

If the freeze got you into the bike business maybe it was really a good thing.

Jeff

ahumblecycler
02-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Jim - keep your head up. I have friends caught in the "void" like you - some are trying to break into the government and others are trying to move across agencies. I'll keep my ears open and will relay any real news as it comes across my desk.

A hiring freeze is never to the advantage to the federal government or the people for which it represents.

dsimon
02-04-2017, 11:58 AM
I have 5 Applications waiting on the Hiring Official. I have called a few HR reps and because the Job fall under a critical position I might get lucky 20 years Military service and now a freeze oh boy what to do.:help:

dave thompson
02-04-2017, 12:16 PM
I have 5 Applications waiting on the Hiring Official. I have called a few HR reps and because the Job fall under a critical position I might get lucky 20 years Military service and now a freeze oh boy what to do.:help:

You could re-enlist. :cool:

How ya doing Demitri?

dsimon
02-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Really 20 years is enough Im Old Fat and slow its not that easy pushing troops Like i used to. Im good Dave how are you and hows the quasi retirement going?