PDA

View Full Version : Serotta frames: weight of frames...

catulle
08-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Would someone please provide me with an idea of the weight difference between: MeiVici, Ottrott, Legend ST frames..? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Climb01742
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
since there are many tubing options within each frame, i'm not sure_a_frame weight is possible. each custom frame would weigh something slightly different. FWIW, my second ottrott built up into a sub-16 pound bike without anything stupid light.

catulle
08-04-2006, 01:24 PM
since there are many tubing options within each frame, i'm not sure_a_frame weight is possible. each custom frame would weigh something slightly different. FWIW, my second ottrott built up into a sub-16 pound bike without anything stupid light.

Thank you for your kind response. Would it be fair to assume that all other things being equal a Legend frame would be slightly heavier (0.5lbs?) than an Ottrott, and an Ottrott slightly heavier than a MeiVici?

cpg
08-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes, I'd say that's a fair assumption.

Curt

catulle
08-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes, I'd say that's a fair assumption.

Curt

Thank you.

abqhudson
08-04-2006, 02:48 PM
For the original question - maybe assume, standard geonetry and size 57 cm. Then, what are the weight differences. Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks for any information.

Jim

mike p
08-04-2006, 02:57 PM
"Does it matter if Einstein couldn't spell, or if Kant couldn't rhyme, or if Freud smoked cigars...? Old Zimmerman is way above and beyond singing, atmo."

Whats it matter? atmo.

Mike

ergott
08-04-2006, 03:49 PM
My Ottrott ST is 1365g.

It's a 2004 53cm with the #8 (I think) level tubets. Geo is horizontal TT with Colnago geo. (I figured you'd like that).

Ozz
08-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Would someone please provide me with an idea of the weight difference between: MeiVici, Ottrott, Legend ST frames..? Thank you in advance for your responses.
"3mm" - atmo

;)

BoulderGeek
08-04-2006, 05:22 PM
FWIW, my former road bike, now my tri bike, was an Easton Scandium 7000 frame. Same tubing set as the Merckx Team SC. It was one of the absolutely lightest raw frames I have ever felt (but speaking of Felt, i think the F15 is slightly lighter yet).

My scandium rig was built with Dura Ace 9, and came out to precisely 18lbs, with not-so-weight weenie stem, bars, post and saddle.

My Nove, sloping 58 geometry, outfitted almost identically but with carbon Chorus, undercuts that bike by 1/4 pound.

My rough guess is that the Nove frame is ~2.4lbs. My Scandium set is just over 1kg. But, the Nove's Ksyriums may undercut the FSA wheels on bike #1. And the Serotta's carbon crank may drop a few ounces over the aluminum DA. Other than that, they are the same saddle, seatpost, bars, stems, tires, tubes, etc. A Record cassette probably saves an ounce over the steel Ultegra cluster on the old bike.

i don't thing this is very relevant, come to think of it. But, I've typed all of this, so I'm submitting anyway.

catulle
08-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm asking because I'd rather have a titanium Serotta frame than a carbon-fiber Serotta frame, but I wonder what would be the weight penalty. Thank you.

fiamme red
08-04-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm asking because I'd rather have a titanium Serotta frame than a carbon-fiber Serotta frame, but I wonder what would be the weight penalty. Thank you.3 lbs., give or take. ;)

Blastinbob
08-04-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm asking because I'd rather have a titanium Serotta frame than a carbon-fiber Serotta frame, but I wonder what would be the weight penalty. Thank you.
I own 2 of the 3 in question but have ridden the Meivici. If I had to guess I would say the carbon frame is going to be about a half pound lighter give or take. My Ottrott ST and my Legend non-st are virtually the same weight, within a couple of ounces.

Brian Smith
08-04-2006, 09:57 PM

At the risk of saying something that you've "heard all about before," do you want the frame that gets you from A to B in such-n-such amount of time with the least amount of effort, or STRICTLY the lightest Serotta frame?

It's possible, in my estimation, to create a heavier Ottrot than Legend ST in the same "size," but that particular Legend ST build scenario may not be best one recommended to a given rider.

They don't fit into neat "weight" categories, since nearly each custom model is, as you know, really a range of discrete possibilities approximating a continuum, and is so for multiple criteria.

catulle
08-04-2006, 10:21 PM
At the risk of saying something that you've "heard all about before," do you want the frame that gets you from A to B in such-n-such amount of time with the least amount of effort, or STRICTLY the lightest Serotta frame?

It's possible, in my estimation, to create a heavier Ottrot than Legend ST in the same "size," but that particular Legend ST build scenario may not be best one recommended to a given rider.

They don't fit into neat "weight" categories, since nearly each custom model is, as you know, really a range of discrete possibilities approximating a continuum, and is so for multiple criteria.

Thank you for your response, Brian. Excuse me for insisting, but if we had two frames with basically the same construction objectives and 53cm seat-tubes, a MeiVici and a Legend ST, what would be the approximate weight difference?

Climb01742
08-05-2006, 05:00 AM
since i can't answer you specific question, i'll just add this: if a legend is what you really want, and a very light bike is what you want, then save weight with the build. if it won't be your daily most ridden, most abused rig, then going intelligently "stupid" light could be a fun build to put together. maybe i can add one thing to the frame discussion: i've heard that the ST actually adds weight, with all ti seatstays being a shade lighter. so an all ti legend might save some grams.

Brian Smith
08-05-2006, 09:04 AM
maybe i can add one thing to the frame discussion: i've heard that the ST actually adds weight, with all ti seatstays being a shade lighter. so an all ti legend might save some grams.

No, that info is wrong. The ST lug and stay and bearings and bolts are still lighter than even the lightest ti seatstays.

Brian Smith
08-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Thank you for your response, Brian. Excuse me for insisting, but if we had two frames with basically the same construction objectives and 53cm seat-tubes, a MeiVici and a Legend ST, what would be the approximate weight difference?

It would depend on the specific construction objectives, but even given those, I personally wouldn't be able to give an accurate answer. What I WILL wager to say is that at a similarly built 53cm size, the weight difference between a MeiVici and a Legend ST would be smaller than, say a similarly aimed pair of 63cm frames.
Let's reverse engineer it: How much weight are you willing to "take on" with the Legend ST over the MeiVici? The MeiVici is not "stupid light." It's weight is right for the performance and durability that it is intended to have, with no cost spared in the effort to make it also light. Or at least that's what I think, I only watched the development, I wasn't directly involved nor responsible for anything. Of course the Legend ST is not "stupid light" either, I only meant to say that the MeiVici was not meant to be "light at any expense," so as to explain why there is not an ocean of difference in weight amongst them. THen again, I'm not terribly obsessed with frame nor bike wieghts, so to me even 200 grams is not an "ocean" of difference. Blindfold me, and alternatively hand me your 53cm Legend ST and MeiVici frames by an inserted seatpost, and I'd be able to identify which is which.

Fixed
08-05-2006, 10:40 AM
it'll feel light with good wheels,bro
cheers

Fat Robert
08-05-2006, 10:43 AM
all serotta frames, with fork, are heavier than a swallow (african or european) with a coconut.

c'mon catulle

weight is only important for dudes who want to come up with an excuse for why they can't climb

(my excuse: I blame my parents -- works on any bike, yo)

catulle
08-05-2006, 11:47 AM
all serotta frames, with fork, are heavier than a swallow (african or european) with a coconut.

c'mon catulle

weight is only important for dudes who want to come up with an excuse for why they can't climb

(my excuse: I blame my parents -- works on any bike, yo)

Hell, I can't neither make it up nor down. Although I just came back from a pretty good ride, I felt great anyways. I was out there ducking it out with the cars. Up from the saddle at the slightest excuse. I even swallowed a bug that flew right into my open mouth. Must be all the talk about PED.

Climb01742
08-05-2006, 03:33 PM
No, that info is wrong. The ST lug and stay and bearings and bolts are still lighter than even the lightest ti seatstays.

brian, thanks for correcting my misinformation. i coulda sworn i read that somewhere...on some forum maybe...geez, who can you trust? :p

Brian Smith
08-05-2006, 10:40 PM
brian, thanks for correcting my misinformation. i coulda sworn i read that somewhere...on some forum maybe...geez, who can you trust? :p

misinformation abounds. this statement and the one before it are false.
;)

brenick
08-06-2006, 03:17 PM
I was talking to another builder about having a multi-material bike built. He said that a drawback is the amount of overlap required when gluing the two different materials. Because the materials are dissimilar, the overlap required is considerable.

Serotta PETE
08-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Brian, thanks for taking the time to add valuable input.

As to the extra wight for overlaps - I would leave this to Jason and the team to add aditional info, But in my opinion, we are "splitting hairs" when we get to this level - in terms of perfomance, feel, etc... I leave this to SEROTTA who are the experts. They realize that "less weight" sells and while that is a priority, it is only one of the inputs to a great product. Few if anyone here buys a bike for one season or one race. ALso, if weight is the upmost important a suggestion is to leave it unpainted and go for thos $3000 wheels.

They SEROTTA have not disppointed me in 20 plus year - nor any of the folks I have recommend the products to.

My faith in them and their expertise has been earned over many years and many bikes.............

victoryfactory
08-06-2006, 06:03 PM
When I was waiting for my Legend, I swore I'd weigh it before I built it
up so I'd know once and for all how much a Serotta frame weighs.

When it came, I got so excited, I forgot to put it on a scale.

The mystery continues....

Maybe I'll never know, really...

It's a Zen thing

VF

palincss
08-06-2006, 06:36 PM

Since "penalty" means:
# punishment
# the disadvantage or painful consequences of an action or condition

I would think there would be no "penalty". There might be an insignificant weight difference, however.

PsyDoc
08-06-2006, 06:42 PM
There are a few Serotta listings over at weightweenies.starbike.com:

Serotta Fierté Ti 2003 56 cm 1390 g (3.06 pounds)

Serotta Fierte 2002 54 cm 1727 g (3.81 pounds)

Serotta Ottrott ST 2003 56 cm 1458 g (3.21 pounds)

Serotta Ottrott ST 2003 58 cm (ca.) 1637 g (3.61 pounds)

Serotta Ottrott ST 2005 53 cm 1365 g (3.00 pounds)

93legendti
08-06-2006, 06:58 PM
There are a few Serotta listings over at weightweenies.starbike.com:

Serotta Fierté Ti 2003 56 cm 1390 g (3.06 pounds)

Serotta Fierte 2002 54 cm 1727 g (3.81 pounds)

Serotta Ottrott ST 2003 56 cm 1458 g (3.21 pounds)

Serotta Ottrott ST 2003 58 cm (ca.) 1637 g (3.61 pounds)

Serotta Ottrott ST 2005 53 cm 1365 g (3.00 pounds)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=231698&postcount=15

davids
08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
If you'd rather have the titanium bike than the carbon fiber bike, get the titanium bike. Seriously.

The only time I notice the (not insignificant) weight difference between my Steel Axiom and my Nove is when I'm picking them up. When I pick up the Nove, I always think, "Whoa! This is light!"

They ride quite differently, but I attribute next-to-none of the differences to the weights of the frames. Geometry and materials (and wheels and rubber) make a significantly bigger difference, atmo.