PDA

View Full Version : some people are different

Fixed
08-04-2006, 09:38 AM
bro , so i show up on the wed . lil. hill ride on my merckx corsa , I had no trouble riding in the front group .it lacks a little snap on the big ring hills we have in central fl. but makes up for it on turns and downhills . well anyway the bros feel sorry for me riding such an old school bike. bro would you feel sorry for a cat riding a merckx corsa ? i don't mind diggin a little deeper on some parts of a ride cos on other parts of a ride the bike lets you rest . any of you cats get what i'm sayin?
I guess I'm not much in fashion . I know most riders today have never even been on a steel bike yet they think " why would anyone ride such a thing "
that's why i say some prople are different . it's all for fun

67-59
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm with you fixed. I ride on my beautiful, comfortable Kirk Terraplane, but every now and then I get some wierd comment from some guy riding a Giant or something about how someday I should "move up" to carbon. Yeah, right....

saab2000
08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
No doubt. Many people today don't know that there was cycling in the pre-Lance era.

Still, I have been riding my lugged steel Croll here in Grand Rapids this week and nobody said anything strange. In fact, I got a couple of compliments on it. Some people get it and some don't.

Your Merckx is probably a better bike than some of the abominations that show up on some group rides. You should mention that you feel sorry for them with their stems on backwards on top of an inch or more of spacers and that the handling is probably barely rideable.

You don't need to excuse anything if you are riding a Merckx. They are top rides.

Fixed
08-04-2006, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=saab2000]

Your Merckx is probably a better bike than some of the abominations that show up on some group rides. You should mention that you feel sorry for them with their stems on backwards on top of an inch or more of spacers and that the handling is probably barely rideable.

bro there guys like that where you ride too? that 's some funny and cool stuff that made my day thanks

shoe
08-04-2006, 09:57 AM
yeah i just bring it up right from the get go. i make fun of them before they make fun of me. i''ll be like oh hey do you guys allow steel bikes on your ride... i mean i have carbon fenders...it's like a 200 dollar joke..and then they will just go into a carbon trance and stare at the fenders...dave

sspielman
08-04-2006, 10:01 AM
My second cousin and his pal are big into triathlon.....and have discovered bike racing. They were at my house overnight for a nearby triathlon a few weeks ago. In my basement, they remarked at how I pretty much had 32 spoke wheels with tubulars... I could tell that it was "old school" to them. One of them was taken out by a goofball in the triathlon and had his wheels wrecked...so he had to borrow some for a ride the next day.....So, a couple of days ago I got an email about getting a set of 32 spoke tubular wheels...

Smiley
08-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Just put my Afgan buddy David on a new C-III with Ouzo pro fork. He jumped off a Legend Ti with Ouzo pro , his bike is Nobium steel with the longer trail and lower BB. Guess what he LOVES it , it weighs in with Chorus and not many stupid light parts at just a tad over 18 lbs and its according to him much nicer then his older legend Ti frame. Steel is real and don't let anybody tell you differently .

If you see David be scared... very scared cause he is faster :)

Big Dan
08-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Fixed, not long ago I was riding a lugged LeMond Excell GLX with friction shifters.
I was riding in the front half of the group when a fat guy riding a Merlin Cielo told me to "get a real bike".......amazing....
He was mad too.... :D

stevep
08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
fixed, remember the 11th commandment:

speaketh with thine legs, not thine mouth and remember that thine bike speaketh not at all.

pucci cycling bible

Kevan
08-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm riding up one of the countless hills here on ol' pink, returning home from work, not a care in the world. I'm not hammering, just riding, lost in thought, when this "racer-dude" blows past me towards the top of the climb, not so much as a nod, with his hot-shi_ 'tude, and settles back into his seat and relaxes his tempo. I'm taking this all in and decide to grab the guy's wheel and play. He ramps it up, I stick. Ramps it up some more, I stick. Finally, we reach this little town called Millwood and the traffic and lights force us to slow down, I pull alongside and wish the guy a good evening, he grunts and stares at this wild looking bike he can't seem to shake. He mentions, almost in passing he's having problem with his shifters (news to me, everything looked and sounded fine) and a bit later turns off.

pdxmech13
08-04-2006, 10:24 AM
that shot is kinda pin-up esque
:beer:

Fixed
08-04-2006, 10:26 AM
fixed, remember the 11th commandment:

speaketh with thine legs, not thine mouth and remember that thine bike speaketh not at all.

pucci cycling bible
I think i've learned that this year... but I slip evey once in a while .
good advise . thanks
cheers

Climb01742
08-04-2006, 10:28 AM
i think the stereotyping goes both ways, though. steel being slow and old-school is just as wrong as carbon being cheap plastic junk. judge each bike on its own merits, not its materials.

rsl
08-04-2006, 10:50 AM
i think the stereotyping goes both ways, though. steel being slow and old-school is just as wrong as carbon being cheap plastic junk. judge each bike on its own merits, not its materials.

That's a good word Climb!

Fixed - your Merckx definitely has soul! Some get it, some don't! :beer:

OldDog
08-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Gita just brought in a run of Corsa's in 7-11 tribute colors, threadless forks though. Sweet bikes. Show your bros.

bcm119
08-04-2006, 12:20 PM
On any group ride, even a racing club, the discrepencies in fitness between riders is much larger than any speed discrepency caused by a bike.

mike p
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
bro , so i show up on the wed . lil. hill ride on my merckx corsa , I had no trouble riding in the front group .it lacks a little snap on the big ring hills we have in central fl. but makes up for it on turns and downhills . well anyway the bros feel sorry for me riding such an old school bike. bro would you feel sorry for a cat riding a merckx corsa ? i don't mind diggin a little deeper on some parts of a ride cos on other parts of a ride the bike lets you rest . any of you cats get what i'm sayin?
I guess I'm not much in fashion . I know most riders today have never even been on a steel bike yet they think " why would anyone ride such a thing "
that's why i say some prople are different . it's all for fun

Fixed,
Who you trying to kid you got no hills in FL.

Mike

Fixed
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
bro we have some lil rollers that run in the middle of the state we have to drive to get to them though . you cats would call it flat . big ring stuff kinda like going over a bridge .. farm area citus trees country road stuff.
cheers

OldDog
08-04-2006, 03:18 PM
for years we would vacation on the eastern shore of md, ocean city area. after a week i would need to lie in the road and stare up at the curb i missed the mountians so much.

Fixed
08-04-2006, 03:25 PM
you guys are lucky that have long climbs my dream is live in the moutains .one good thing about fl. ....you can ride year round .
cheers

time to ride home on the fixed gear mt. bike have a nice weekend bros be safe
cheers

steelrider
08-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. A few years ago my one ride was a late 80's Bottecchia with first-generation, down-tube, index Campy shifters. Needless to say I dusted quite a few new school, space-age material bikes that wore disposable component groups.

stevep
08-04-2006, 05:47 PM
bro we have some lil rollers that run in the middle of the state we have to drive to get to them though . you cats would call it flat . big ring stuff kinda like going over a bridge .. farm area citus trees country road stuff.
cheers

i heard that fixed was looking online for a compact crank.
plus a 12-27 cassette.
for the big overpass in tampa.

palincss
08-04-2006, 06:38 PM
for years we would vacation on the eastern shore of md, ocean city area. after a week i would need to lie in the road and stare up at the curb i missed the mountians so much.

Ever ride the Viewtrail 100? There may not be any hills, but that stretch from Public Landing parallel to Assateague Island always gets some pretty fierce headwinds, might as well be a 30 mile long hill.