PDA

View Full Version : cross carbon rim recs

gordosburritos
02-02-2017, 12:18 PM
A little help please. Just got in line for a Rock Lobster cross frame after my trusty Salsa La Cruz was stolen. I am going to use this bike for gravel riding, light single track and some cross racing around the CA Bay Area.

So... i want to put some carbon tubeless clinchers laced to onyx disk hubs on my new ride (recognizing this is definitely a need not a want given my skill level). Thoughts or recommendations? I wouldn't say price is no object but want something nice. Totally open to used if in good shape.

Currently thinking Derby cross rims. what other rims should I look at?

hollowgram5
02-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Derby and NOX both seem to have decent cross rims. WTB ci24 would be a good option as well. Whisky's new 29er rim doesn't look bad either, but it's hookless. I've got a set of the older whisky 30mm carbon rims and they have been pretty decent.

MaraudingWalrus
02-02-2017, 01:44 PM
I built a set of of Nextie rims up a few weeks ago, and was very impressed. I'm doing a larger order next week, I think.

I've also been very happy with all the Boyd carbon rims I've built up.

I've heard good things about Nox and Derby as well.

Gummee
02-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Personally, I'd stick w AL tubeless and build up a set of low-profile carbon (Nextie is my choice too) wheels for racing.

Tubular is mo better for racing. It can be mo better for JRA too, but it IS certainly a bigger PITA if/when something happens.

I've got a pair of Challenge Strada Bianche 30c tubulars on one wheelset and a pair of LASes on another for gravel rides. I've done the last 3 (?4?) Hilly Billy Roubaixes on tubulars. Hit my rear rim hard enough to dent it last time. No flat. Having said that, I was slightly under-tired for that ride last year with the 30c slicks. The LASes are going to be the tire for this year unless it's wet.

HTH

M

crankles
02-02-2017, 06:46 PM
I raced on a pair of these (https://www.lightbicycle.com/bead-hook-less-rims-carbon-29er-light-bike-rim-tubeless-compatible.html) all cross season. Held up so well that I got another set to rebuild the pacenti sl25s that um, didn't hold up so well...and saved 90gm per rim in the process.

gordosburritos
02-02-2017, 08:28 PM
I hear folks on the tubular situation but for me right now I really need one pair of wheels based on space.

I think I will likely go with something along the lines of the Nox/Derby rims but I am still not exactly sure what you are getting for the price difference. I like the idea of supporting Derby because of the development time they put in and its a local to me outfit. 830 for a pair of Derby rims vs. 320 for a pair of Nextie rims. ??
I get it with the Enve rims given their extensive R+D and made in US (At least for the rims).

sales guy
02-02-2017, 10:27 PM
For just bare rims? I just got a set of prototype WTB carbons for a NAHBS bike. I've built up the Frequency rims in alloy that these are based on. And those have been great for the guys i've done them for. Same idea but in carbon. Not cheap tho.

BPMasterman
02-02-2017, 11:29 PM
I really like my NOX Composites wheels. They have a few options that would probably suit your needs. www.noxcomposites.com (http://www.noxcomposites.com)