PDA

View Full Version : Fishy PM's to buy items in classifieds?

Cicli
02-02-2017, 05:19 AM
I got a PM about an item I have for sale. Member has zero posts and the message reads real fishy. Like a craigslist message that never goes through. I want to out the guy to protect other members but at the same time, it may be legit. Either way, I wont sell to someone that is not an established member. I sent a message to the mods.

What to do? Out the guy?
I hate to see someone get lulled into false comfort here.

ergott
02-02-2017, 05:22 AM
Forward the PM to the mods and see what they recommend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Clancy
02-02-2017, 07:56 AM
I appreciate you being vigilant. I've had nothing but great dealings with fellow members on this forum, buying and selling. I've always feel confident. There's much more of a feeling of community.

We don't need no stinkin' scammers

CampyorBust
02-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Hey if it reads fishy then it reads fishy, notify the mods.

As for selling zero post members, I have done so without any issues. I have also been sold to while I had zero posts. The only irksome transactions I have had was with well established members who should know better. So it’s a crap shoot. There is a lot of ugliness within this so called “community”, but more on that later.

Dave B
02-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Hey if it reads fishy then it reads fishy, notify the mods.

As for selling zero post members, I have done so without any issues. I have also been sold to while I had zero posts. The only irksome transactions I have had was with well established members who should know better. So it’s a crap shoot. There is a lot of ugliness within this so called “community”, but more on that later.

I would agree with this.

The most deplorable dealings I have had here were with long standing members. One in particular said that it should be my pleasure to do business with him. I should give him a deal because when he says positive things about our transaction people will like me.

He went on to tell me the deal I would be giving him...which was asinine. when I said the proverbial take a hike, he decided to explain what a mistake I made. I still see his username trying to sell his stuff and it just irks. Anyway

Yeah guess I suck.

If you have zero posts and want to buy from me, feel free. Your money works just like those with loads of posts. But that is me selling, which i have zero issues with how many posts you have.

Buying, yep different story.

huck*this
02-02-2017, 08:23 AM
I have noticed that the last 5 people that purchased items off of me had under 10 posts a couple with 0 posts. Great dealings with all and honestly don't want to let my guard down but nothing but postive vibes come from the Paceline members. Good peeps here. But thanks for the heads up.

AngryScientist
02-02-2017, 08:24 AM
i can't understand why people are so hesitant to use the classifieds "feedback" thread.

if you had a transaction here that sucked - why not spread the word with a fact based review of the deal?

Dave B
02-02-2017, 08:37 AM
i can't understand why people are so hesitant to use the classifieds "feedback" thread.

if you had a transaction here that sucked - why not spread the word with a fact based review of the deal?

Backlash is my guess.

bbeck66
02-02-2017, 08:50 AM
I got a PM about an item I have for sale. Member has zero posts and the message reads real fishy. Like a craigslist message that never goes through. I want to out the guy to protect other members but at the same time, it may be legit. Either way, I wont sell to someone that is not an established member. I sent a message to the mods.

What to do? Out the guy?

Wondering what you consider an "established member?" I have very low posts and have purchased 2 items from the classified section. Both were done via PM as I cannot post in that section. I'm glad that the 2 users sold me the items. One was a frame and the other a seat. I would recommend texting the buyer or calling them on the phone. If you don't feel safe with the person I wouldn't sell to them.

Cicli
02-02-2017, 09:01 AM
This was the PM.

"Hello,
I am writing in hopes that the monster cross frame is still available. I am ready for immediate purchase at the asking price if it is. I can do paypal or have my bank mail you a check, whichever works best for you.

Fingers crossed,"

Sorry to the guy that PM'd me. I sent you my contact info. If you get ahold of me. We may be able to work something out.

beeatnik
02-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Maybe, the cat is from Canada?

Macadamia
02-02-2017, 09:06 AM
that doesn't sound so bad

bad craigslist-ese is like "hello yes I am buy the item if still for sale"

Tony
02-02-2017, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is, sounds ok to me?

R3awak3n
02-02-2017, 09:14 AM
post is a bit robotic but doesn't sound too bad.

I don't mind selling stuff to members with low post count but I probably would not do say a frame or a wheelset but anything under say $300 I have no problem doing. Over I would be a bit more precautious

William
02-02-2017, 09:16 AM
3.) Any Forum members will not be allowed to post a message (new or responding to an existing one) in the Classified section until they have at least 30 postings in the other sections of the Forum and have been a member for at least 30 days. We have enabled the forum software from vBulletin to enforce this rule, and you will see a message stating that you do not have permission to access this page if you try to post in the section before you are allowed to do so.

And, as an addendum to this, after you have reached the 30 post mark, please continue to post in the General Topics sections of the Forum and not only in the Classifieds section. We ask this because we want to keep our Forum a thriving community and not just a place to sell bike parts for free.

Technically, this is an end run around the forum rules. There is a reason that activity in the Classifieds section is closed to new members until they build up some activity on the forum....participate in the community. The classifieds section is a sideline to the forum community, not the focus of the forum.

Just a reminder:
Since this loophole exists at the moment, doing business with non-established members (like any transaction in the classifieds) is at your own risk.

Also, the feedback thread is there for a purpose, good or bad, add feedback.

William

ORMojo
02-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Have to agree, doesn't seem bad, and as long as you receive confirmed payment before shipping, should be fine.

I've had several very similar inquiries from people with zero posts, same wording. I usually figure they have googled for a particular item for sale anywhere on the Internet, and have turned up my classified here on the Paceline. I've always followed up, made several sales this way, and never been burned.

josephr
02-02-2017, 09:23 AM

honestly, its because it is a thread and you have to search through it by username and you may/may not find feedback....many times when you sell something, you don't even get a PM saying it arrived in good shape and they're happy (sigh).....its a cold, cold world.

Tony
02-02-2017, 09:30 AM
The feedback thread is great, however 99% of it is all "great this and awesome that, which it should be. I go to the feedback thread only to check if there is any BAD reports on a seller/buyer and its almost impossible to find that info. I don't know if there is a search function that I should be using in order to get this info. If not maybe it would not be a bad idea to have a separate feedback thread for unhappy transactions.

CampyorBust
02-02-2017, 09:30 AM
I don’t like to give negative feedback, as I feel disgusting doing it, as I think do most people. Hence he we have "should I out them" threads like this. Unfortunately sometimes it must be done if the transgression is bad enough. Which often times it is not as people here are clever enough to make a nasty situation seem like just another coincidence or series of them. It is revolting. I am not perfect either but the one time I sold an item that was not as described, it was dirt cheep and pics were available, still I stepped up and made sure the buyer was satisfied. If we are to believe the kubaya "community" fairytale we keep hearing about, everybody has to be as best as can be. Just my 2c.

As for the PM I think its fine.

William
02-02-2017, 09:38 AM
The feedback thread is great, however 99% of it is all "great this and awesome that, which it should be. I go to the feedback thread only to check if there is any BAD reports on a seller/buyer and its almost impossible to find that info. I don't know if there is a search function that I should be using in order to get this info. If not maybe it would not be a bad idea to have a separate feedback thread for unhappy transactions.

The best you can do to search the thread is open it, and then use the "Search this thread" function. Put in the username of the person you are considering buying from or selling to see if they have feedback.

William

ergott
02-02-2017, 11:02 AM
This was the PM.

"Hello,
I am writing in hopes that the monster cross frame is still available. I am ready for immediate purchase at the asking price if it is. I can do paypal or have my bank mail you a check, whichever works best for you.

Fingers crossed,"

Sorry to the guy that PM'd me. I sent you my contact info. If you get ahold of me. We may be able to work something out.

Looks fine to me.

Gsinill
02-02-2017, 11:11 AM
And what's the risk for you if he agrees to pay with PayPal goods and services upfront?

Bentley
02-02-2017, 11:14 AM
The PM was not me, but to me a fishy request is I will send a check for X (more than the price) and you send me the difference, or the item is in bonded storage awaiting shipment to my next posting, just PayPal me and I will get it to you when I arrive at my duty station. Something much more odd than what that PM was.

Again, I am a newbie, I have a good Ebay record but I am new here so I can understand some folks being wary

Best

Ray

miguel
02-02-2017, 11:15 AM
I don’t like to give negative feedback, as I feel disgusting doing it, as I think do most people.

no, give negative feedback for negative experiences. this is how we protect ourselves and the community.

i, for one, have had some bad experiences with the classifieds here. like, i sent the money and then the seller decided they didnt want to sell the item - and i outed them in the feedback thread because that is proper bull5hit.

edit: this happened at least twice

weisan
02-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Looks fine to me.... too.

rePhil
02-02-2017, 12:00 PM
I just had the same question regarding an outboard motor. The person claimed to be a US soldier currently serving in another country, and was going to have an agent pick it up after payment (of course) A quick search of paypal scams revealed that not every countries paypal addresses can be confirmed.
I told the potential buyer it was no problem and asked him to call me and we would discuss it. That was the end of that.

And what's the risk for you if he agrees to pay with PayPal goods and services upfront?

jbreebs
02-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Cicli,
I told my friend about the bike in question, and he's the one that sent you the message that apparently came off the wrong way. I know that I'm relatively new to the forum too, but I've bought a few items on here via private message (since I don't have enough posts to actually reply in the classifieds). Anyways, He's a stand up guy, and absolutely isn't here to rip you off. Feel free to PM me if you want more info proving that he's the real deal.

gbruguier
02-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Hello all. I am the guy who PM'd the seller about the Monster Cross frame. I assure you that I am not a robot, or on here to scam the guy. I was (and still am) legitimately interested in purchasing the frame.

I know that I am not yet an established member, but I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue to buy something in the classified section. I apologize for any inconvenience.

drewellison
02-02-2017, 03:07 PM
I think one reason that many buyers have low post counts is because they're like me ... they come for the classifieds, then they stay for the general discussions (well, or at least most of the general discussions) where they build up their post count.

ColonelJLloyd
02-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Maybe, the cat is from Canada?

Hello all. I am the guy who PM'd the seller about the Monster Cross frame. I assure you that I am not a robot, or on here to scam the guy. I was (and still am) legitimately interested in purchasing the frame.

I know that I am not yet an established member, but I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue to buy something in the classified section. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Ok, but are you Canadian?

jeffcon0
02-02-2017, 03:24 PM
I've also been a long time lurker to this site and I finally joined to PM someone about an item in the classifieds. I think Drewellison is right: Come for the classifieds, stay for the discourse. After all, it takes a bit to work up the gumption to start posting in any forum with so many long established members.

My own experience is that *generally* speaking very few people are hanging around specialty forums to rip people off. I've bought from and sold to people with low or no post counts on certain synthesizer forums (another expensive hobby). I'm usually more worried as a buyer since once the seller has your money its out of your hands. Can't see a reason not to sell to someone with low post count if they PayPal you first.

dave thompson
02-02-2017, 03:41 PM
I've also been a long time lurker to this site and I finally joined to PM someone about an item in the classifieds. I think Drewellison is right: Come for the classifieds, stay for the discourse. After all, it takes a bit to work up the gumption to start posting in any forum with so many long established members.

My own experience is that *generally* speaking very few people are hanging around specialty forums to rip people off. I've bought from and sold to people with low or no post counts on certain synthesizer forums (another expensive hobby). I'm usually more worried as a buyer since once the seller has your money its out of your hands. Can't see a reason not to sell to someone with low post count if they PayPal you (NOT by 'friends and family') first.

My bold.

beeemmjay
02-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Ok, but are you Canadian?

I'm so curious, what reads as 'Canadian' about the PM that started this thread (eh)?

By the way, up here in da great white north, we sign cheques (but we don't all always wear toques) ;)

beeatnik
02-02-2017, 03:52 PM
no, give negative feedback for negative experiences. this is how we protect ourselves and the community.

i, for one, have had some bad experiences with the classifieds here. like, i sent the money and then the seller decided they didnt want to sell the item - and i outed them in the feedback thread because that is proper bull5hit.

edit: this happened at least twice

they refunded your FRNs, no?

i changed my mind once. can't remember the reason, can't remember the item. it was under $50 for sure. it's all electronic funds and I'm sure no one starved because I held their FRNs for a few minutes/hours.

ColonelJLloyd
02-02-2017, 04:00 PM
I'm so curious, what reads as 'Canadian' about the PM that started this thread (eh)?

By the way, up here in da great white north, we sign cheques (but we don't all always wear toques) ;)

The succinct and polite tone, I suppose. Good qualities; no offense meant (not that I think you're offended).

beeemmjay
02-02-2017, 04:03 PM
The succinct and polite tone, I suppose. Good qualities; no offense meant (not that I think you're offended).

Definitely not offended, genuinely curious!
Compliment taken:)

bobswire
02-02-2017, 08:01 PM

What to do? Out the guy?

Looks and sounds legit and you get your asking price. BTW my Soma Stanyan is still available. ;)

Louis
02-02-2017, 08:06 PM
So, someone seems polite and decent, and for at least one member here the first assumption is that s/he must be Canadian.

Hmmm, we do live in strange times... Sad. ;)

beeatnik
02-02-2017, 08:24 PM
^I was basing my speculation on the prospective buyer's syntax not their worldview or value system. :beer:

Clancy
02-02-2017, 08:59 PM
1+ on what William said.

But with that said, just finished selling a frame to a French Canadian whose emails sounded odd to my American ear, transaction was great.

I only accept PayPal, don't see how a scammer could work that.

steveoz
02-03-2017, 12:00 AM
I sell artwork and one of the online scams was a buyer who really loved the work, was ready to pay full price and needed it shipped quick - they would gladly pay whatever the shipping was plus extra to "make sure" and you're supposed to refund the difference - of course they pay with a bad card that doesn't show up in time (cause they were in a hurry to get the art) and the amount of the "just to be sure" shipping refund (which is your good money) and the item disappear into the abyss...seller beware...