PDA

View Full Version : lemond is a ok.

obtuse
08-04-2006, 12:43 AM
greg sat and signed autographs for over five hours tonight in newton prior to his ride in the pmc tomorrow; then the two of us went out for a few to many beers. he gave everyone as much time as the needed. he is one of the good guys and gets it. he was a hero to me and now he's even more of a hero for standing up for what is right and for his faith in cycling and what it can be.

support this guy. send an email to trek, to velonews, to lance to whomever will listen. he's one of the good guys. american cycling needs this guy now more than ever.

obtuse

swoop
08-04-2006, 12:57 AM
amen.

mike p
08-04-2006, 01:33 AM
I know at least 6 people who have met Greg and they all think he's a great guy.

Mike

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Avispa
08-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Amen + 1 ;)

Kahuna
08-04-2006, 03:55 AM
It amazes me why anyone would need a reminder.

lucky bastard! :)

greg sat and signed autographs for over five hours tonight in newton prior to his ride in the pmc tomorrow; then the two of us went out for a few to many beers. he gave everyone as much time as the needed. he is one of the good guys and gets it. he was a hero to me and now he's even more of a hero for standing up for what is right and for his faith in cycling and what it can be.

support this guy. send an email to trek, to velonews, to lance to whomever will listen. he's one of the good guys. american cycling needs this guy now more than ever.

obtuse

kestrel
08-04-2006, 05:15 AM
........ and we all know LeMond didn't dope......

Climb01742
08-04-2006, 05:17 AM

obtuse

it's been said on this forum that having or wanting heroes is somehow a weakness. it isn't. we all need to believe in something, to be inspired by something...or at times, someone. i wish i'd remembered he was gonna be there, senor. would have been nice to meet him. hey, what bike is he riding the PMC on?

amg
08-04-2006, 06:57 AM
hey, what bike is he riding the PMC on?

Rumor has it that he's riding a Lemond badged Pegoretti. By the way, that reminds me.......... :p

Antonio

Kevin
08-04-2006, 07:11 AM
I rode a century with Greg a few years ago. We spent several hours talking and laughing. He is a great guy.

Kevin

BarryG
08-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Before his accident, he was THE greatest.

quattro
08-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Obtuse, do you know if Greg is riding both days of the PMC, will he be accessible at the Mass Maritime Academy on Saturday for those of us that did not have the oportunity to see him in Newton? thanks.

quattro

Big Dan
08-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Greg is a great guy. He is taking way too much heat lately.....

After all those beers , he dropping some people today.........Any Jack shots?

:D

alancw3
08-04-2006, 08:48 AM
i've said it before on the forum! the two greatest statesmen for modern cycling are greg lemond and eddie merckz period. these two guys are the ones to look up to with respect. both are simply put "class acts".

Fixed
08-04-2006, 09:14 AM
bro i bet he thinks the same thing about you .
cheers

Elefantino
08-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Greg is a nice guy. Back in 1990, when my son was young and Greg trained in NorCal, I introduced them. He was exceedingly nice, made over my son something fierce, gave him schwag, etc.

I wish I could figure our his animus for Armstrong.

Who, as we know, never doped.

Zard
08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
I have said this before: It is so refreshing to learn that your sports hero really is the kind of person you'd hope that he would be. Yeah, Lemond is #1.

jeffg
08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Didn't you write once that people should just leave pro cyclists alone and let them take what they want? Seems not a very Lemond-esque sentiment, or am I missing something?

Greg is one of the fathers of the sport in the US and without him it's hard to imagine we would have one American TdF champion, much less three (at least for now).

Like Elephantino I wish he and Lance could keep their pissing matches out of the public. It just detracts from what each of them has contributed to cycling IMHO.

Maybe Greg and Lance can have a few beers, make up and found a testing lab together ... Wait, then WADA would spring into action with an out of competition doping test at the bar, nail both of them for elevated testosterone levels, strip them of their collective 10 TdF titles and award them to Fignon and Virenque.

obtuse
08-04-2006, 11:01 AM
lemond and i don't agree on everything. procycling is not a healthy occupation and the riders do what they do....i don't have a problem with this per se and enjoy the entertainment.

i do have a problem with a bunch of rich people screwing up the american federation; drugging kids and sending them to slaughter in europe with the hopes of finding the next lance. i also have a problem with the dishonesty and the lies....when these guys get popped they should come clean and expose those around them; take a ban and get back to racing. instead; their hunted down and threatened by lance in a race (simeoni) or outside of competition (andreu, lemond etc.)

the french federation cleaned things up after festina, weisel and lance and his cabal made it dirtier, slicker and more calculated and overdetermined. is it any surprise that tyler, floyd etc. are graduates of the lance/postal program?

it's sick and wrong;

obtuse

72gmc
08-04-2006, 11:43 AM
at the risk of quoting myself, american cycling stands on the shoulders of lemond--and stage 17 was the best american ride since lemond.

all the rest of this stuff is just jealousy cloaked by the suggestion of morality...

Avispa
08-04-2006, 11:45 AM
I am curious... Can you disclose [some of] what Lemond says after a few beers, in private? Is it the same thing we hear in the newspapers?

I have seen/heard a few public public figures talk in private and specially after a few beers, and man I am amazed!!!!

As I said, just curious.... ;)

atmo
08-04-2006, 11:49 AM
lemond and i don't agree on everything. procycling is not a healthy occupation and the riders do what they do....i don't have a problem with this per se and enjoy the entertainment.

i do have a problem with a bunch of rich people screwing up the american federation; drugging kids and sending them to slaughter in europe with the hopes of finding the next lance. i also have a problem with the dishonesty and the lies....when these guys get popped they should come clean and expose those around them; take a ban and get back to racing. instead; their hunted down and threatened by lance in a race (simeoni) or outside of competition (andreu, lemond etc.)

the french federation cleaned things up after festina, weisel and lance and his cabal made it dirtier, slicker and more calculated and overdetermined. is it any surprise that tyler, floyd etc. are graduates of the lance/postal program?

it's sick and wrong;

obtuse

yeah i gotta give a 1+ (or is it a +1?) to this and
i hope pooch leaves the bar soon and also chimes
in. obtuse shows here that he know the sport and
the history on the u.s. side going back past the
recent coupla' eras. i'm puttin' my hand on his
virtual dashboard and addin' an atmo amen.

jeffg
08-04-2006, 12:01 PM

it's sick and wrong;

obtuse

Fair enough.

What is also sick and wrong is the ASO ...

Big Dan
08-04-2006, 07:07 PM
"We had another American test positive, and he's still in denial," LeMond said of Olympic gold medalist Tyler Hamilton, who's serving a two-year suspension for blood doping. "To admit that you did cheat takes some real courage."

LeMond, the first American to win the Tour, has quarreled with seven-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong, but he said Armstrong should not be lumped in with those who have been caught cheating.

"I'm not making any judgment on Lance. He hasn't been found positive," LeMond said. "I don't get along with him just because I don't get along with him."

shinomaster
08-05-2006, 02:13 AM
When I met Lemond here in Portland it was at a local bike shop. He was telling stories about racing in Europe. It was great. Then Lance crashed the party because he was in town for Nike. That was great too. They were "friends" back then. Lance said nice things about Greg, and vica versa. I was so pleased. Greg signed a poster for me, and was sincere and funny, and gave me a moment of attention I will never forget. I have always been a fan of his, and always will be.