PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Direct Mount brake advice

Kingfisher
02-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Help me before I go ape****!!!

Frame is Trek Madone 7, recently acquired with dura ace 9000 throughout.

Front direct mount brakes are fine, but I recently put my campy bora one clinchers in frame, front is fine, but I am having terrible time with the rear.

As pics will show, carbon pads are brand new and although I can use the little adjusting screw on calipers to move the non drive side caliper away from rim, the right side caliper stays put and is just way to close to rim..even with no tension on cable. Maybe these wide rims are just too much for this caliper???

I feel like taking the new pads off and shaving them down a bit in order to fit.

Any suggestions appreciated....pics below might help explain

PacNW2Ford
02-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Shimano makes a pre-shaved down pad for carbon rims. It has a "-1" suffix, I think. Might help.

Gummee
02-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Step 1: take out the washer between the pad and arms and see if that helps.

Step 2: shave down the pads you have

Step 3: new low-profile pads

I've had to do all 3 at one point or another. I really really dislike those under the chainstay brakes.

Oh, and be careful if you're planning on running a Stages or Pioneer power meter. They may/may not actually fit

M

nate2351
02-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Can confirm that a Stages pm, on a Madone 7, with a DA or Ultegra brake with NOT work.

+1 on swapping the washers, it looks like you have the room there if you moved them around.