PDA

View Full Version : Nashville routes near opryland?

Tickdoc
02-01-2017, 08:29 AM
I'll be there in may and thinking about Taking a bike with for the journey so I can do some rides when not in meetings.

Anyone have experience of routes from/around there?

I searched mapmyride and it looks like there is a trailhead that hugs th river all the way to downtown.

AngryScientist
02-01-2017, 08:33 AM
are you staying at the gaylord opryland by any chance?

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/00/cf/1e/gaylord-opryland-resort.jpg

brownhound
02-01-2017, 08:38 AM
I'll be at the Gaylord for a week soon. Can't really bring a bike but good routes may convince me to do something other than walking the grounds and haunting their gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
02-01-2017, 08:55 AM
I'll be at the Gaylord for a week soon. Can't really bring a bike but good routes may convince me to do something other than walking the grounds and haunting their gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was there for a weeklong conference last year and had just a ridiculously good time

Bentley
02-01-2017, 09:25 AM
I cannot say I know any routes, but the Nashville area is beautiful and I am sure that you could contact a local bike shop and get some info on bike routes in Nashville. I think taking the bike is a great idea....

Ray

Tickdoc
02-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Yes staying at the gaylord. I have a niece who lives near the airport, so will between those two areas for the week.

I'm driving with a colleague, but I've got room for my bike in the backseat.

sokyroadie
02-01-2017, 03:40 PM
F150 lives in Nashville, but has not posted recently - you might send a PM.

Jeff

pinkshogun
02-01-2017, 04:37 PM
The Natchez Trace Pwky begins in Nashville.

tourmalet
02-01-2017, 05:05 PM
The Natchez Trace Pwky begins in Nashville.

It's a little bit of a drive to get to the good part, but totally worth it. You can park at the Loveless Cafe in Pasquo as long as you promise you'll be back for some food--which is worth it!

Ralph
02-01-2017, 05:10 PM
I know I'm more scared of unfamiliar busy roads than some, and I'm also not wanting to get hurt when I'm away from home by myself.

So when I travel with my bike to an area that has a good rideable paved trail (not cut up with side roads, etc) I don't mind riding that at first. They are usually thru scenic areas. Sure it's slow....but you don't get hit usually....by a car or truck anyway.

Very soon I always meet some fairly serious cyclists that can coach me on where locals ride on roads, and where group rides are leaving from. And kinda go from there. So if they have a nice trail, and that's all you find to ride on....don't worry....soon you will hook up with some riders that can fill you in on local riding.

HenryA
02-01-2017, 05:40 PM
I live well on the other side of town, but we have some really great riding around here. The area where you are staying has experienced dramatic growth since the time I used to go out past there to ride with friends. Even then it was built up around Opryland. Look at the maps headed toward Lebanon.

Here is a map of the trail you mention:
https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Volunteer/mcbw%20map.pdf

The Shelby Bottoms Greenway is the part near you that goes into downtown.

The Natchez Trace is a wonderful place to ride, especially if you've not done it before. (I just got back from a ride - I live right on it). The area around there in very southern Williamson County and into Maury County has great riding and few cars. I can probably show you around down here if you don't mind riding with an old sorta slow guy.

Tickdoc
02-01-2017, 05:48 PM
I live well on the other side of town, but we have some really great riding around here. The area where you are staying has experienced dramatic growth since the time I used to go out past there to ride with friends. Even then it was built up around Opryland. Look at the maps headed toward Lebanon.

Here is a map of the trail you mention:
https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Volunteer/mcbw%20map.pdf

The Shelby Bottoms Greenway is the part near you that goes into downtown.

The Natchez Trace is a wonderful place to ride, especially if you've not done it before. (I just got back from a ride - I live right on it). The area around there in very southern Williamson County and into Maury County has great riding and few cars. I can probably show you around down here if you don't mind riding with an old sorta slow guy.

Great info and that sounds like fun! Thanks and I'll pm you when the time gets closer and I know for sure my bike is coming with me.