PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dog suggestion

buddybikes
02-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Friend of ours (tall, nice looking blonde woman) likes to hike and has taken her companion for 12 years now. His arthritis and other issues will limit him to walks around the yard. She is now looking for a dog breed that is mid to large size, that is just a "bit" protective looking, enough so when she is alone (she is paranoid), weird people won't approach her. Also one that doesn't mind hanging at home during some days. I suggested our dog, American Eskimo, but too yappy. Any dog ideas here? Yes she could search the rescues like her current dog...

superbowlpats
02-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Labrador Retriever. maybe not protective looking enough but no better breed IMHO. happy to run. happy to lay on the sofa all day. most happy when eating :hello:

William
02-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Boxer

Lots of energy, funny, protective, very loyal to family, and can be somewhat intimidating.

William

djg21
02-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Anyone who approaches her will be slobbered to death and confronted with a tennis ball.

Bentley
02-01-2017, 08:25 AM
I'm sure this won't go over well but a Pitbull is a loyal and very energetic dog that loves to do things outdoors and definitely will keep the weirdos away. Overall they get a bad rap, they are well behaved when trained and also do well just hanging out. Won't be hard to find a pup or young adult at a shelter.

Best

Ray

LeadoutTrain5
02-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Labs are great dogs. Very loyal.

christian
02-01-2017, 08:34 AM
I have some sort of pitbull, boxer, lab, something mix. She likes to hike. She's from a shelter obviously. I would, ergo, recommend a shelter dog.

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/IMG_4949.JPG

William
02-01-2017, 08:37 AM
I have some sort of pitbull, boxer, lab, something mix. She likes to hike. She's from a shelter obviously. I would, ergo, recommend a shelter dog.

...or rescue organization. The Boxers we have adopted have all come from a Boxer rescue. Our Basset from a Basset Hound rescue, and our retriever mix from a local animal rescue organization.

William

dancinkozmo
02-01-2017, 08:39 AM
+1 shelter dog

adampaiva
02-01-2017, 08:42 AM
no dog is the wrong dog.

but another vote for boxer. My fav breed.

JasonF
02-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Disclosure: my wife and I have (had?) a lot of preconceived and negative impressions of pit bulls.

But we know lots of people with pit bull & pit bull mixes.

My wife's personal trainer rescues them and has nothing but great experiences while training at this woman's home.

Our "go-to" sitter for our autistic son has a female pit bull mix and we have ZERO concerns while he is there.

That said, I realize there's a lot of controversy regarding the breed so I would second some of the recommendations to look into a Boxer. We also have experience with the breed and they are great dogs.

cmbicycles
02-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Leonberger, very good family dog and protective instincts. They are large so that alone is a deterrent for many people.

I worked at a shop where the owner had a Weimeraner that was about 90lbs, he was the shop dog. He was a great dog for outdoors and would frequently go mtn biking with shop groups... he would run up the trail til he was way ahead, then look back and dive off into the woods to chase squirrels or something. Then we would ride a bit past where he jumped off trail, and he would stick his head out of the woods back to the trail a little while later, run us down, pass us and repeat that pattern the entire ride. He needed daily exercise of a more intense variety to stay out of trouble, but was a great dog.

tuscanyswe
02-01-2017, 08:53 AM

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/IMG_4949.JPG

Oh i dident know you had a dog. She is beautiful!

mcteague
02-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Herding dogs are a good choice. I have a Belgian Sheepdog who loves to hike but hates the car! They are not a common breed but worth searching for. They come in 3 "flavors"; Groenendael/Belgian Sheepdog (http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/belgian-sheepdog/), Malinois (http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/belgian-malinois/) and Tervuren (http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/belgian-tervuren/).

Tim

Willy
02-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Labadoodle - great attitude, very smart and does not shed.

josephr
02-01-2017, 09:24 AM
adoption is best....shelter dogs have stronger immune systems and are less susceptible to the physical difficulties of pure-breds.

Veloo
02-01-2017, 09:25 AM
+2 for a shelter/ rescue.
Puppyhood is great but a big commitment. You can bypass this stage with a rescue.

Also decide if you want fur in the house or a monthly visit to a groomer.

Gummee
02-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Personally, if it was a hiking/running dog, I'd look for a Ridgeback mix, BC mix, or another of the herding/hunting dogs.

My Pyrenees mix loves to go running and hiking, but he's not in the same league as the BC I had in Sandy Eggo.

edited to add: one of the best dogs I've ever had the privilege of lving with was my roommate's BC/Pit Bull mix. Fantastic dog. Acted like a BC. Looked like a Pit

marsh
02-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Rescue a young, trainable mutt. This guy was a few days away from the gas chamber when we got him 10 years ago. Protective, loyal, and he could hike all day when he was younger.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/D_3eEGxTtyOjK8H5sRPNY9QHIS8JQ8r3jTgte_aLu4Bd-YkdOm1vHRpKzPQMi9XTICxfS_8zEdVxPPJ3TvVTARSTesK9WM3 q6uSKCEHjCDc3baNarh0cdevlel1pHZCFwVlB5kOznmzQmKeMD BHbERCCxvdOpi6PjEJNMPm60rPkdeivzp2piWPQujAXU-9X-U_ePnRJHwN3TDTClyVfEOF2pOvtKICdZ02m9kiZ5AkNDOW5y1U rs_gRIqhGB28qf8J5IaUTGeV9LYwXp5rAIj6j6erKVzirXse6d tAiVY0kiwiczL6S2b3-yTUFLJ4XXmEg1XRBKkzeNFQX0hqnOhrshXx5n6ja-s-8RbWluirSkU2nz7vj3xlZFjuqcsoHRok-8E210XD7-FKXtz_kJKuMtzoD-hve0uDJL5scNEW4BwDnbkH_0ZxEmcrP-kbpctU4xapDgKUUfZuQztHoebBay5pnhWL9VpiGcs0N9czvHAK mIQvY4MAM6jFu1auw7AoIMQ7FKHNRIB7c4dVXgAEb0ljQe-ydLESfBABuSaXs3HhCziMmhnE_uI3Xh3CWWUbXs6kphSh-qkgRg5Usc-riCNSU2anLxhKjwO_runAQ9qS55Fu8IRoY5Cm2j8d0cgqyitFA p50bbZ7-XDAC-XHx20SYYh1DKZoAHHRIAw=w966-h640-no

GScot
02-01-2017, 09:31 AM
I'll add Airedale and Standard Poodle. I have both in one dog :D

Plenty of experience with both breeds and different mainly in that Airedales are a bit more stubborn and game oriented compared to the Poodles that have the highest level of owner attention. Both are hunting breeds that developed working closely with humans but not typically in large packs so they seem to be happy in small families such as one or two owners and as the only dog or one of two dogs.

50-65 pounds usually with male poodles often larger and some breeders offer really large airedales. I think 55-60 pounds is perfect for the job at hand both can hike or run all day once they grow up and that is big enough to not be ignored by a potential threatening individual.

Picture of Cody the Airedoodle with his Sheltie sister enjoying some snow.

Bentley
02-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Rescue a young, trainable mutt. This guy was a few days away from the gas chamber when we got him 10 years ago. Protective, loyal, and he could hike all day when he was younger.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/D_3eEGxTtyOjK8H5sRPNY9QHIS8JQ8r3jTgte_aLu4Bd-YkdOm1vHRpKzPQMi9XTICxfS_8zEdVxPPJ3TvVTARSTesK9WM3 q6uSKCEHjCDc3baNarh0cdevlel1pHZCFwVlB5kOznmzQmKeMD BHbERCCxvdOpi6PjEJNMPm60rPkdeivzp2piWPQujAXU-9X-U_ePnRJHwN3TDTClyVfEOF2pOvtKICdZ02m9kiZ5AkNDOW5y1U rs_gRIqhGB28qf8J5IaUTGeV9LYwXp5rAIj6j6erKVzirXse6d tAiVY0kiwiczL6S2b3-yTUFLJ4XXmEg1XRBKkzeNFQX0hqnOhrshXx5n6ja-s-8RbWluirSkU2nz7vj3xlZFjuqcsoHRok-8E210XD7-FKXtz_kJKuMtzoD-hve0uDJL5scNEW4BwDnbkH_0ZxEmcrP-kbpctU4xapDgKUUfZuQztHoebBay5pnhWL9VpiGcs0N9czvHAK mIQvY4MAM6jFu1auw7AoIMQ7FKHNRIB7c4dVXgAEb0ljQe-ydLESfBABuSaXs3HhCziMmhnE_uI3Xh3CWWUbXs6kphSh-qkgRg5Usc-riCNSU2anLxhKjwO_runAQ9qS55Fu8IRoY5Cm2j8d0cgqyitFA p50bbZ7-XDAC-XHx20SYYh1DKZoAHHRIAw=w966-h640-no

Great looking dog

mg2ride
02-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Lab-Sheppard mix
Lab-Pit mix
Lab-boxer mix

Basically anything mixed with a lab that you can find at the local shelter

sandyrs
02-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Definitely would go to a shelter/rescue first, but all personal opinions aside, if she's got her mind set on a puppy, she might look at a Giant Schnauzer or a Bouvier Des Flandres. Giant Schnauzers are really high energy (not sure quite how much hiking your friend likes, but it would need to be a lot). Either would be a good hiking companion. The Bouvier would probably be more down with hanging at home but each dog is different of course.

mkbk
02-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Any shelter/rescue dog that finds its home with your friend will deter 97+% of all predators. On the trail, at home, in the city, in the car, wherever. Any healthy dog can become an amazing athlete and devoted companion.

My family is on our fifth pit-mix. Training and socialization have been essential. We have had two who had behavioral issues that needed to be overcome. They are not for everyone in my opinion, (like whiskey,motorcycles and firearms) but they are the "all american" dog and we have become "those" kind of people who will probably never have any other kind of dog. We currently have two, Dan and Eddy. Three years ago Dan squared off with an apex predator on a hike. I caught a fleeting glimpse of the mountain lion and Dan got one small puncture wound at the base of his tail. Kitty's parting gift. The PB's trait of total, unstoppable and fearless commitment is what allowed him to succeed, the predator could not risk engagement.

The presence of almost any dog will make almost any predator move along.

RFC
02-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Herding dogs are a good choice. I have a Belgian Sheepdog who loves to hike but hates the car! They are not a common breed but worth searching for. They come in 3 "flavors"; Groenendael/Belgian Sheepdog (http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/belgian-sheepdog/), Malinois (http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/belgian-malinois/) and Tervuren (http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/belgian-tervuren/).

Tim

Herding dogs are my favorites. Smart, athletic, very loyal, as well as being efficiently mid sized. My best dog ever was my Canaan Dog (google that one) who wanted nothing more than to be with the pack -- the family.

Bentley
02-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Definitely would go to a shelter/rescue first, but all personal opinions aside, if she's got her mind set on a puppy, she might look at a Giant Schnauzer or a Bouvier Des Flandres. Giant Schnauzers are really high energy (not sure quite how much hiking your friend likes, but it would need to be a lot). Either would be a good hiking companion. The Bouvier would probably be more down with hanging at home but each dog is different of course.

I don't know what your experience is with Bouvier's is, but if you dont know they are the breed of choice for Belgian Police. They are pretty high energy and very protective. Also, not sure how big this woman is, but from my experience they can dominate "any situation", once they make their mind up they kind of do what they want to do.

Not saying its a bad breed/dog, there really are only poorly trained/socialized dogs, but a Bouvier needs a very strong hand.

Best

Ray

Lewis Moon
02-01-2017, 09:52 AM
I'm sure this won't go over well but a Pitbull is a loyal and very energetic dog that loves to do things outdoors and definitely will keep the weirdos away. Overall they get a bad rap, they are well behaved when trained and also do well just hanging out. Won't be hard to find a pup or young adult at a shelter.

Best

Ray

I'll second this. I have absolutely loved every pit I've known.

sandyrs
I don't know what your experience is with Bouvier's is, but if you dont know they are the breed of choice for Belgian Police. They are pretty high energy and very protective. Also, not sure how big this woman is, but from my experience they can dominate "any situation", once they make their mind up they kind of do what they want to do.

Not saying its a bad breed/dog, there really are only poorly trained/socialized dogs, but a Bouvier needs a very strong hand.

Best

Ray

Fair point, looking back at the OP I think I misread how much protection the person is looking for. They are certainly more than "protective looking." Same goes for a number of other breeds mentioned here that might be more than is required.

bart998
Another vote for a Malinois. Great dogs. I had the opportunity to work around them quite a bit as a police officer. They are smart, quick, have good energy and endurance, are highly trainable, and as threatening, when needed, as you could want.

Lewis Moon
02-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Herding dogs are my favorites. Smart, athletic, very loyal, as well as being efficiently mid sized. My best dog ever was my Canaan Dog (google that one) who wanted nothing more than to be with the pack -- the family.

I'm a border collie fan but I wouldn't suggest one to anyone other than someone who knows BCs. ACDs are great too.

Tony
02-01-2017, 09:56 AM
I'll second an Airedale, they tick all the boxes you mentioned.

Tandem Rider
02-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Great Dane here, on our 2nd. Very happy to hang inside at home (despite their size they are indoor dogs) also happy to go for a run or an all day hike. Unfortunately they are short lived. Pretty focused on the "pack", especially kids. Ours have only barked when it was appropriate (like someone pulled into the drive). We walk and run him on voice lead regularly. Training is hugely important, obviously, but once they hit about 2 years old, their big goal is to be a good dog.

christian
02-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Oh i dident know you had a dog. She is beautiful!We got her in November. She was 5 months old at the time and already housebroken. Now we have her in obedience class, which is proving to be quite fun. She is already a great running partner, but not quite ready to mountain bike with.

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/IMG_0033.JPG

Rescue a young, trainable mutt. This guy was a few days away from the gas chamber when we got him 10 years ago. Protective, loyal, and he could hike all day when he was younger.That's what we did with our Annie. She was 5 months when we picked her up, and she's been an absolute delight.

CampyorBust
02-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Get a Catella! :beer:

sc53
02-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Labrador Retriever. maybe not protective looking enough but no better breed IMHO. happy to run. happy to lay on the sofa all day. most happy when eating :hello:

My black Labs were the best dogs ever for hiking, running, and deterring people from approaching. :beer:

93legendti
02-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Our Bergamasco Sheepdog is loving, playful, happy with short (or long) walks and playing fetch and protective. He considers himself part of the family and insists upon being near us at all times. Even when he is in the yard playing he comes back to the door every 5-10 minutes or so to check on us. If he hears a knock on the front door or the door opening, he comes running to make sure everything is ok.

When I walk him, he stiffens up to size up people we don't know on the road. Always alert, never aggressive without reason. Tolerant of every dog we have encountered so far. He has played with a 130 lb Bernese Mtn Dog and 6 pound mutts. Very loyal.

He doesn't shed and he doesn't drool. He barks when someone is at the door and that's it.

He needed 1 hour with a trainer when he was a few months old. My 13 yr old daughter taught him to sit, lay and turn around in the first weeks we had him. He took up fetch naturally and when we walk instinctively listens to commands to stop, come and go.

He is about 60 lbs at 1 year old, very fast and agile.
We feel very comfortable leaving the kids at home with him in the house.

My Mom is a widow, a cat person who doesn't like dogs, but loves our dog. She asks about him very day and insists we bring him to her house whenever we visit. He jumps on the couch and cuddles with her. We let him on the couch because he doesn't drool, claw or chew furniture (or shoes).

I should add that he is very attached to me because I walk him and play with him the most. If I go take a shower, he waits outside the door. If I go to the dinner table, he sits on my foot underneath the table. If I go to the restroom, he waits outside the door. If I walk upstairs, he follows me. Even if he is napping, if I get up, he follows me. We never have to wonder "where is Bowie?".

If the kids start fighting, he rushes to them and pulls off the aggressor.

Not easy to find, but worth every penny and effort to bring one home. Oh, and the ladies love him. ;)

This is from last night's walk.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-01/0A0F4940-C831-4D91-B015-098D4B145B27_zpsaojhsrwt.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/adambaker29/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-01/0A0F4940-C831-4D91-B015-098D4B145B27_zpsaojhsrwt.jpg.html)

Cuddling with my daughter at my Mom's house:

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-11/B76EA275-1B1F-4948-BA56-048C74E50150_zpsuvgglgzb.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/adambaker29/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-11/B76EA275-1B1F-4948-BA56-048C74E50150_zpsuvgglgzb.jpg.html)

chiasticon
02-01-2017, 10:47 AM
rescue 100%. just look around your area at what's available. you can always find something that you'll fall in love with. puppy, adult or in-between. they have 'em all and they all need homes.

we just went through this and our only approach was, after we found out what's available and what we liked from it, research the breeds (yes plural; usually shelter dogs are mixed) and see if their traits match up with what you're looking for.

yngpunk
02-01-2017, 10:48 AM

Best

Ray

If your friend goes this route, she should be sure to check with her current homeowners/renters insurance carrier. Choice of dog breed may impact insure-ability or premiums.

cash05458
02-01-2017, 10:49 AM
perhaps an aussie shep...totally dedicated...velcro and loving...and fairly easy to handle if given exercise...wonderful dogs...not too big either...female around 40 pounds, male about 50...

cdn_bacon
02-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Look for a rescue Belgian Malinois.

93legendti
02-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Look for a rescue Belgian Malinois.

That's a great dog. The IDF uses them for search and rescue, attack and bomb sniffing dogs.

JAGI410
02-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Shelter dog. My adopted Chesapeake Bay Retreiver mix is a great outdoor companion.

booglebug
02-01-2017, 11:28 AM
I'm a border collie fan but I wouldn't suggest one to anyone other than someone who knows BCs. ACDs are great too.

Our border collie owned us for 17yrs before we lost her to a stroke, don't think I've ever cried that hard. Very smart breed but a little head strong at times. My son has two boxers, the goofy male is the funniest dog I've ever been around, so much personality .

doomridesout
02-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Shelter dog is the right dog.

We've got a pit bull/English bull terrier mix who would tick all your friend's boxes. Socialize them young and don't worry about the negative stereotypes. The "bully breeds" are great dogs.

genbar
02-01-2017, 11:38 AM
+ 10920194029402942 on shelter dog, they desperately need your love!

Growing up, we had a German Shepard/Rottie mix. She was a little bit on the small side, for that particular mix- definitely mid to mid/large but very sweet and very protective. She lived to be 15, we put her down because she could no longer walk (along with a string of other issues). I remember being a kid and laying down in the backyard and resting my head on her stomach while I read comic books.

...I want a time machine.

Chris
02-01-2017, 11:42 AM
We had a Doberman for 12 years. Had to put her down this past summer. We live in the country and my wife did a lot of long runs and trail runs. She would finish a 20 miler and the dog would be ready for more. There was never a sweeter dog, but intimidating as could be as well. Everyone who saw her was intimidated before they knew her. I had them when I was kid too. I think they are the perfect dog for a woman who wants a mid-size dog that isn't too big for her to control, is intimidating to strangers and a loving companion at all times.

Now we have a Komondor, which is likely way too much dog for most people and doesn't do well without a lot of space. The wife wanted a dog that doesn't shed and that would be comforting when she was alone in our home in the country. We looked at the Bergamasco and the Bouvier as well. She's 5 months old and 53 pounds when she's full grown if we don't have her adequately trained we are in for a struggle.

Johnnyg
02-01-2017, 11:53 AM
I am on my fifth Samoyed. Amazing breed, take them any where, intelligent, loyal, friendly, think for themselves, last one was a therapy dog, need lots of brushing, not allergic, 40 to 60lbs, live 13 to 15yes typically. Check them out. Good luck.

adamhell
02-01-2017, 12:18 PM
poodle! they don't shed and they're super smart & caring. my dad has one in colorado and every time i stay there she sleeps next to me. she can also tow me through a snowstorm on a fatbike. my girlfriend's mom has a mini poodle who is awesome, too. This being said, adopt don't shop!!!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/adamleibow/32F503CC-2FF0-4A1D-95DC-8D867CC273F5_zpsesin1lif.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/adamleibow/1E47118D-E08F-4C78-8278-0DB8BCDE00AA_zpsjcdwmfht.jpg

Aaron O
02-01-2017, 12:23 PM
My personal opinion isn't going with a breed at all, rather head down to your shelter and find a friendly pup with the physical characteristics that you want and who reacts well to you.

You can hike with any dog, almost all of them are naturally protective; IMO the mutts live longer, healthier and happier.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Cats/60E7CE5D-190A-4857-AD71-B1D143C5717A_zpsxee3jnfd.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/user/aolk67/media/Cats/60E7CE5D-190A-4857-AD71-B1D143C5717A_zpsxee3jnfd.jpg.html)

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Monty/6557885E-567E-4B0F-AA1D-E24E89EAA3C5_zpsmmuzlzdo.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/user/aolk67/media/Monty/6557885E-567E-4B0F-AA1D-E24E89EAA3C5_zpsmmuzlzdo.jpg.html)

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad205/aolk67/Monty/5982E805-19B6-4EC5-A5AE-D6B172C4F6F8_zpsrlcz2xyd.jpg (http://s936.photobucket.com/user/aolk67/media/Monty/5982E805-19B6-4EC5-A5AE-D6B172C4F6F8_zpsrlcz2xyd.jpg.html)

phoenix
02-01-2017, 12:28 PM
I kind of skimmed the last few pages and saw a few posts recommending your friend adopt. Please encourage her to adopt her new best friend. If there is a particular breed that she zeros in on, chances are, there is a rescue that caters to that breed. All of my pets as an adult have been adopted/rescued and they are all amazing! XOXO

We have a McNabb which is a herding breed from Northern CA. They look like a short haired Border Collie for the most part with all of the traits your friend seems to be looking for, protective, obedient, friendly, hard-working (well, sometimes, when he isn’t sleeping on the bed with the cats), well-mannered and very sociable.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8812/29151927511_07c09c7502_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8760/27843910473_f8560f89ea_z.jpg

Brian Cdn
02-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Best

Ray

+1, 2 & 3 on Bouviers... I've had three. Great athletes. Mine have run ultra trail marathons. Good babysitters, protectors and companions. Non shedders and hardy in pretty much any climate.

danielpack22@ma
02-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Shelter Dogs (https://www.flickr.com/photos/28425875@N03/albums)

AMERICAN BLACK & TAN COONHOUND RESCUE (http://www.coonhoundrescue.com/)

But I'm a bit biased.

maj
02-01-2017, 01:57 PM
My two cents.

The German Shepherd is probably one of the most trainable breeds and adaptable to just about living situation. Incredible athletes, loyal, and steady.

Here's my first GSD that I picked up at the Humane Society and trained for avalanche work back in my ski patrol days - he got to cut into the front of lift lines.
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/Sam_zpstubaju3u.jpg

Here's my second GSD and a very good SAR dog. Very courageous and loving.
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/benby1.jpg

He was a cute pup too.
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/ben2020mark1.jpg

Now we have a goofy English Setter. Couldn't resist him as a pup.
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/Rover1-1.jpg

and he grew into quite a handsome fella.
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/Rovercropped_zps33cf7287.jpg

Very athletic too, love to watch him run. Another good choice your friend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z604iwccRec

GregL
02-01-2017, 02:33 PM
I concur with the rescue/pound puppy suggestions. Find one who is healthy and has a personality to match the owner(s). My wife's aunt and uncle adopted a beagle-greyhound mix that is one of the most fun dogs I've ever met. Great, friendly personality, loves to hike, yet is docile and quiet indoors. She spends a great deal of time at our home when her family is out of town visiting grandkids. We've grown to love her as if she was our own.

On the flip side, my wife and daughter informed me a few years back that we were getting a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. I had no say in the decision... He turned out to be the perfect dog for our family. Mid-size (55 lbs, big for a Wheaten), loves to be outdoors, very friendly, yet also quiet indoors. Without a doubt the smartest dog I have ever spent time with. He knows more voice commands than any dog I've ever worked with. Bonus: no shedding!

Greg

RFC
02-01-2017, 04:09 PM
I concur with the rescue/pound puppy suggestions. Find one who is healthy and has a personality to match the owner(s). My wife's aunt and uncle adopted a beagle-greyhound mix that is one of the most fun dogs I've ever met. Great, friendly personality, loves to hike, yet is docile and quiet indoors. She spends a great deal of time at our home when her family is out of town visiting grandkids. We've grown to love her as if she was our own.

On the flip side, my wife and daughter informed me a few years back that we were getting a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. I had no say in the decision... He turned out to be the perfect dog for our family. Mid-size (55 lbs, big for a Wheaten), loves to be outdoors, very friendly, yet also quiet indoors. Without a doubt the smartest dog I have ever spent time with. He knows more voice commands than any dog I've ever worked with. Bonus: no shedding!

Greg

I'm kind of diggin' your "Racing Beagle." Surprised that no one has mentioned the Labradoodle and similar designer dogs. The ones I've known were very friendly and athletic.

93legendti
02-01-2017, 04:16 PM
We had a Doberman for 12 years. Had to put her down this past summer. We live in the country and my wife did a lot of long runs and trail runs. She would finish a 20 miler and the dog would be ready for more. There was never a sweeter dog, but intimidating as could be as well. Everyone who saw her was intimidated before they knew her. I had them when I was kid too. I think they are the perfect dog for a woman who wants a mid-size dog that isn't too big for her to control, is intimidating to strangers and a loving companion at all times.

Now we have a Komondor, which is likely way too much dog for most people and doesn't do well without a lot of space. The wife wanted a dog that doesn't shed and that would be comforting when she was alone in our home in the country. We looked at the Bergamasco and the Bouvier as well. She's 5 months old and 53 pounds when she's full grown if we don't have her adequately trained we are in for a struggle.
Let's see a pic of that puppy!

OtayBW
02-01-2017, 04:26 PM
+1 on the GSD. Incredibly loyal, smart, sweet creatures. I think a good call for what the OP was looking for. My buddy:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/Eko-1a-1.jpg[/URL]

buddybikes
02-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Note: Friend has a 12 year old pit/retriever now, she is well versed in dogs and will probably get a mix - just having fun searching for something different. She lives in an apartment, so massive size is out.

Personally I want a Samoyed, going to get one for my daughter someday when she buys a house so we can baby sit. Here are 2 of our eskie guys/gal, female on left was a breeder that lived in a crate, so she is happy living on our bed. On right, Niikko very dominent and active male. We also have a 15.5 year old eskie that has seen the rainbow bridge 5 times, but says he is not ready.

jordanr
02-01-2017, 04:38 PM
It's heartening to see all of the suggestions for shelter adoption. I concur with that. Dog companionship, for me, is about the combination of personality and lifestyle compatibility, and heart connection. Visiting your local rescue and spending time with some of the furries, is the way to go.

Hilltopperny
02-01-2017, 04:46 PM
I vote either American or Olde English bulldogge. Great dogs that are just happy to be around and can handle the hikes as long as properly bred. Definitely can look intimidating and lots of personality.

Louis
02-01-2017, 04:53 PM
no dog is the wrong dog.

I disagree with this.

There are some dogs that aren't right for certain situations. The typical examples are either a high-energy breed for an older person in an apartment, or a yappy dog in house where strangers are constantly coming and going.

ptourkin
02-01-2017, 05:18 PM
I vote either American or Olde English bulldogge. Great dogs that are just happy to be around and can handle the hikes as long as properly bred. Definitely can look intimidating and lots of personality.

The English Bulldog cannot be properly bred. They are all caesarean and have a very short lifespan. The creation and maintenance of this admittedly lovable breed have become animal cruelty. The continued maintenance of this breed should stop. Most of UGA dogs live about three years...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magazine/can-the-bulldog-be-saved.html?_r=0

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/07/weve-run-out-of-time-to-save-the-bulldogs.html

cadence90
02-01-2017, 05:46 PM
I disagree with this.

There are some dogs that aren't right for certain situations. The typical examples are either a high-energy breed for an older person in an apartment, or a yappy dog in house where strangers are constantly coming and going.
Completely agree.

Or, if "no dog is the wrong dog", there are certainly plenty of wrong owners.

And, adopt.

Matthew
02-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Absolutely get one from a shelter!! If all of these dogs get adopted the sad shelter commercials will not have to air anymore. And my wife will stop crying. Thanks.

mg2ride
02-01-2017, 06:20 PM
...there are certainly plenty of wrong owners...

With only the VERY rare exception, this is the case.

Hilltopperny
02-01-2017, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=ptourkin;2118625]The English Bulldog cannot be properly bred. They are all caesarean and have a very short lifespan. The creation and maintenance of this admittedly lovable breed have become animal cruelty. The continued maintenance of this breed should stop. Most of UGA dogs live about three years...

Agreed, but Olde English are a different breed which was started about 50 years ago. It is 1/2 english, 1/6 pitbull, 1/6 American bulldog and 1/6 mastiff and was bred to overcome the problems that arose from bad breeding. Unfortunately breeders started messing with them as well and there are f1,f2 and f3 Olde's that they breed back to English bulldogs that end up with the same issues. My male is generational and is a very capable and well bred dog. He is a clean breathing athletic beast with none of the issues of the English bulldog.:beer:

William
02-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Our latest add to the family...from a rescue league.

She can outrun anyone and any bike on the trail! :)

William

Tim Porter
02-01-2017, 06:38 PM
If not adopting, we've found our goldendoodles to be wonderful companions. I think they'd be great on the trail, and they are in the 55-65 lb range. Here are Stanley and Daisy:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/IMG_3760_zpsuzwjxnkj.jpg

ptourkin
02-01-2017, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=ptourkin;2118625]The English Bulldog cannot be properly bred. They are all caesarean and have a very short lifespan. The creation and maintenance of this admittedly lovable breed have become animal cruelty. The continued maintenance of this breed should stop. Most of UGA dogs live about three years...

Agreed, but Olde English are a different breed which was started about 50 years ago. It is 1/2 english, 1/6 pitbull, 1/6 American bulldog and 1/6 mastiff and was bred to overcome the problems that arose from bad breeding. Unfortunately breeders started messing with them as well and there are f1,f2 and f3 Olde's that they breed back to English bulldogs that end up with the same issues. My male is generational and is a very capable and well bred dog. He is a clean breathing athletic beast with none of the issues of the English bulldog.:beer:

Very cool. Love the bull breed personalities.

Bentley
02-01-2017, 06:59 PM
The English Bulldog cannot be properly bred. They are all caesarean and have a very short lifespan. The creation and maintenance of this admittedly lovable breed have become animal cruelty. The continued maintenance of this breed should stop. Most of UGA dogs live about three years...

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/07/weve-run-out-of-time-to-save-the-bulldogs.html

I would ask if you have ever owned an English Bulldog. I have been blessed to own a number of bulldogs. Basically every domestic dog has been bred to accentuate certain physical traits, a bulldog, bull mastiffs, boxers, boston terriers all share some of the same physical traits.

In general mine have had about 9/10 years of life. They are great companions, my kinds "abused" them riding them lime a pony, i have also personally delivered 12 puppies from my first bulldog.

They are the wrong dog for this thread, but they are an awesome member of the family.

best

Ray

93legendti
02-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Years ago when we were looking for a dog, I simply googled "protective hypo allergenic dog that is good with children" and came up with a Bergamasco and a 9 other dogs.

That's what I would do if I was your friend. Most people have great dogs, because they mesh with their personality...what works for me might not work for her...

gemship
02-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Friend of ours (tall, nice looking blonde woman) likes to hike and has taken her companion for 12 years now. His arthritis and other issues will limit him to walks around the yard. She is now looking for a dog breed that is mid to large size, that is just a "bit" protective looking, enough so when she is alone (she is paranoid), weird people won't approach her. Also one that doesn't mind hanging at home during some days. I suggested our dog, American Eskimo, but too yappy. Any dog ideas here? Yes she could search the rescues like her current dog...

Well I'm sorry I don't have much to offer except a bit of snark...but I had to laugh at your posting here. I mean your friend sounds weird to say the least. If you're being serious I do hope this friend finds just the right k9 companion. As he or she will protect the rest of the weirded public from a most obviously weird lady. But, but...perception when it comes to all things weird is everything.

gavingould
02-01-2017, 08:02 PM
shelter dog, or adopt a greyhound. they're not as high-energy as people think, i've had one for 7 years. they are couch potatoes that like 2-3 10 minute walks a day, if you have a fenced yard, they can run to heart's content.
they are generally not aggressive to people but can definitely be a weirdo deterrent (lots of pointy teeth and athletic looking)

buddybikes
02-01-2017, 08:33 PM
>>Well I'm sorry I don't have much to offer except a bit of snark...but I had to laugh at your posting here. I mean your friend sounds weird to say the least. If you're being serious I do hope this friend finds just the right k9 companion. As he or she will protect the rest of the weirded public from a most obviously weird lady. But, but...perception when it comes to all things weird is everything.

Totally confused with this comment. She is a nice women, cancer survivor living by herself. Very active, but has had issues, I believe in her past not to trust people. All I was asking if there was a dog breed that is generally passive but would give her comfort of hiking alone. We have had recent attack/killing to a runner. She has had dogs her whole life, we were just chatting and she asked if I had any ideas as she is preparing for her current friends end of life. All I can say your loss not to know her.

cadence90
02-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Well I'm sorry I don't have much to offer except a bit of snark...but I had to laugh at your posting here. I mean your friend sounds weird to say the least. If you're being serious I do hope this friend finds just the right k9 companion. As he or she will protect the rest of the weirded public from a most obviously weird lady. But, but...perception when it comes to all things weird is everything.

Frankly, yours is the weirdest comment in this entire thread, and most presumptuous on your part as well.

dustyrider
02-01-2017, 08:54 PM
What about just looking for an older, larger dog? Size is your biggest ally when it comes to visual security, and puppy level energy is completely avoided. My 13 year old doesn't mind the occasional 8 hour nap.
I'd hate to recommend a specific breed of dog without knowing more about environment, home life and what "likes to hike" actually means. Anyone who judges a dog based on behaviors they disapprove of should really be considering the source (owners) instead. All dogs can be yapppy!

tumbler
02-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Scrolling through all the dog pics in this thread put a huge smile on my face. The fact that this OT thread is already 6 pages long speaks to the quality of people (ie. dog people) on the Paceline. ;)

Based on the details you provided, I think a Labrador Retriever would be an excellent choice. Each individual dog is different, but Labs as a breed are, IMO, one of the best balances of positive traits. They like to do things when you are doing things, but also like to sleep when you aren't doing things. They can hike, swim, hunt, ski, etc. They are also very trainable and are usually friendly around strangers and other animals. That being said, the vast majority of dogs are friendly, loving animals and would probably suit your friend just fine. We spent WAY too much time trying to pick the right dog, only to meet dozens and dozens of people afterwards with pit bulls and pit-mixes that are by any objective measure "better" dogs than our little guy (we love you buddy!).

2StrokeRacer
02-01-2017, 09:17 PM
What about just looking for an older, larger dog? Size is your biggest ally when it comes to visual security, and puppy level energy is completely avoided. My 13 year old doesn't mind the occasional 8 hour nap.
I'd hate to recommend a specific breed of dog without knowing more about environment, home life and what "likes to hike" actually means. Anyone who judges a dog based on behaviors they disapprove of should really be considering the source (owners) instead. All dogs can be yapppy!

All dogs can be yapppy??? ...my dog hardly ever barks.

I don't think I saw mention of the American Bulldog, great temperament and very loyal. Of course every dog has their own personality and you could find the traits you are looking for in a variety of breeds. I freely admit I am very biased toward AB's and have to shamelessly show him off...

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/madvelo/IMAG0016.jpg

Bit of a cycling fan as well.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad347/madvelo/20160725_123251.jpg

Louis
02-01-2017, 09:17 PM
our little guy (we love you buddy!).

Like [x] :)

cadence90
02-01-2017, 10:53 PM
(we love you buddy!).
Fantastic photo!

clyde the point
02-02-2017, 04:55 AM
Funny this whole thread.
Dog people are nutz.
Me included.
www.leerburg.com for help, your puppy 8 weeks to 8 months is the best advice I can give.
Have two Ridgebacks and a Mountain Cur. The Cur is 28 lbs or so, if she was a big dog, with the heart she has, she would be an ISIS terrorist. I'm glad she is small. Can go 22 miles off road w/o a whimper. Recently about 8 weeks ago fractured ulna/radius in a freak accident here on the farm, is now the most expensive dog in Licking County. Could have bought 8 dogs for what that cost.
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/clyde-the-pointer/IMG_0727_zpsffnu8qln.jpg
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/clyde-the-pointer/IMG_0707_zpsakg5mnmb.jpg

93legendti
02-02-2017, 07:09 AM
Funny this whole thread.
Dog people are nutz.
Me included.
www.leerburg.com for help, your puppy 8 weeks to 8 months is the best advice I can give.
Have two Ridgebacks and a Mountain Cur. The Cur is 28 lbs or so, if she was a big dog, with the heart she has, she would be an ISIS terrorist. I'm glad she is small. Can go 22 miles off road w/o a whimper. Recently about 8 weeks ago fractured ulna/radius in a freak accident here on the farm, is now the most expensive dog in Licking County. Could have bought 8 dogs for what that cost.
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/clyde-the-pointer/IMG_0727_zpsffnu8qln.jpg
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu277/clyde-the-pointer/IMG_0707_zpsakg5mnmb.jpg

Dog insurance! $400/year.

stien
02-02-2017, 07:22 AM
I love pit mixes. So sweet and loyal. Not to mention people are still afraid of them for some reason. Here are our two girls by the wood stove. Brown one is the pit/lab, the other dog we think is a whippet/lab.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/536/32286243240_3eeaa0881d_c.jpg

William
02-02-2017, 07:29 AM
I love pit mixes. So sweet and loyal. Not to mention people are still afraid of them for some reason. Here are our two girls by the wood stove. Brown one is the pit/lab, the other dog we think is a whippet/lab.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/536/32286243240_3eeaa0881d_c.jpg

Very cute!
I've had a few folks comment that they think our recent adopted girl is a retriever/pit mix. We were told from the rescue that she is a retriever mix, but seeing similarities to your pup makes me think its possible.

She is a sweet girl but we've really had to work with her on understanding commands.

William

mvnsnd
02-02-2017, 07:30 AM
A Samoyed is a good choice, but they do shed and need lots of brushing. They also attract a lot of people to see and pet your dog. Very friendly though.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3308/3554284624_72f9c38b4b_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/6q5CZo)Kisa_Yard2 (https://flic.kr/p/6q5CZo) by mvnsnd (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mvnsnd/), on Flickr

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5302/5629501690_55e154d1c2_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/9zsEHY)Final snow (https://flic.kr/p/9zsEHY) by mvnsnd (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mvnsnd/), on Flickr

buddybikes
02-02-2017, 08:08 AM
Wife and I would so love a Sammy, but our Eskie's keeping us busy. maybe a Sammy rescue someday. Thx for advice, good coffee talk with friend here in the office. (Barring one reply on last page...)

93legendti
02-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Our neighbor has a Samoyed that our Bergamasco loves to wrestle with. A lovely, friendly dog. Protective it is not.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1dfascra.jpeg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/adambaker29/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1dfascra.jpeg.html)

stien
02-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Very cute!
I've had a few folks comment that they think our recent adopted girl is a retriever/pit mix. We were told from the rescue that she is a retriever mix, but seeing similarities to your pup makes me think its possible.

She is a sweet girl but we've really had to work with her on understanding commands.

William

I can see the resemblance! All in the head. Certainly give it time. Ours was the second dog and is less trained because she's so good natured and listens/wants to please. We adopted her when she was 1 or 2 (I think they lied when they said she was 1) so she already had some housebreaking training. I trust her to chase squirrels into the woods and come back when called.

Our first (black dog) was rescued at 5 months and was a terror. Attacked me daily. We went to an e-collar trainer and now she is my best friend (besides the wife). Other people would have put her down.

Yeah, we are the crazies who have dogs instead of kids. I trailer them to work with me.

djg21
02-02-2017, 10:06 AM
This is my puppy Fanny with Jack my dog. All my pets are named for characters from "The Weight."

Ken Robb
02-02-2017, 12:31 PM
He is 6-7 years old. We got him from the pound 3 years ago. Annie was a WILD stray. We adopted her in Sept. 2016 when she was about 1 year old. We love them like they were our kids. Annie is on the left and seems like a shih-tzu. Eric seems like a malti-poo but we are guessing.

vav
02-02-2017, 12:49 PM
A beagle maybe? ;)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/432/32629675986_6230a94e6c_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/RHnBSs)Bruno (https://flic.kr/p/RHnBSs) by VIAR VAPA (https://www.flickr.com/photos/63560619@N06/), on Flickr

gemship
02-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Frankly, yours is the weirdest comment in this entire thread, and most presumptuous on your part as well.

Well you sir need to reread the op's post. He said that his attractive lady friend is looking for a dog that would act as a deterrent toward "weird people who approach her. Presumably this could mean guys that are attracted to her? The irony is and as witnessed in this thread....PEOPLE LOVE DOGS! In fact most people on here recommend dog breeds that are anything but a turnoff. Hey if I was to hit on a lady walking down the street it would probably be instigated by the fact that her cute fluffy K9 companion was looking for a little pet and sniff, sniff vs. someone who simply ignored my greeting. You know if people really need to have dogs to create boundaries whilst in public then they really do have issues and you gotta feel for the dogs to that end. The older I get the more I see dog ownership as a inhibiting lifestyle. I kinda see how dogs can be an expensive utility. I personally were to go the route of getting a menacing dog I would probably be very proactive in going with the dog to a training facility where the dog and I would learn how to work with each other to form a relationship that would have that dog bite anybody to death on my command. Seriously I know a guy that did just that with a very large Rottweiller. No joke!

buddybikes
02-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Jeez, think people could understand what I wrote. Woman hiking alone needs a nice mutt that would protect her (or make her feel protected)

Simple question that has gone wild.

thx for the Mountain Cur - she fell in love with them...

gemship
02-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Jeez, think people could understand what I wrote. Woman hiking alone needs a nice mutt that would protect her (or make her feel protected)

I'm sorry it's just that you make your friend sound a bit conceited but since you put it that way I guess it changes things. It's funny getting dog advice for a friend on a cycling forum. Maybe one of a cyclist worst enemies is a dog? Well not till the point the dog gives chase...Yeah just recommend a nice mutt from the shelter simple as that. With really long unkempt hair, Ok I being snarky but people really don't want to pet those kinda dogs and will keep their distance. If she's alone on a hike maybe she should carry mace? I'm not sure a dog would even have the desired effect if she encounters a maniac. Are you sure this dog isn't for someone else? All kidding aside as they say trust but verify. Dogs are absolutely a polarizing topic regarding all things bicycle or even being out in public. I have a group of neighbors who are friendly and walk dogs by my house. The best dog of them all is the biggest, very friendly dog, a shelter dog. I have a neighbor who made a cage for a pure bred german sheppard who loves to give chase and bite cyclist. That neighbor never walks his dog.

Like I said Good luck, entertaining thread and I'm done with it.

OtayBW
02-02-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm sorry it's just that you make your friend sound a bit conceited but since you put it that way I guess it changes things. It's funny getting dog advice for a friend on a cycling forum. Maybe one of a cyclist worst enemies is a dog? Well not till the point the dog gives chase...Yeah just recommend a nice mutt from the shelter simple as that. With really long unkempt hair, Ok I being snarky but people really don't want to pet those kinda dogs and will keep their distance. If she's alone on a hike maybe she should carry mace? I'm not sure a dog would even have the desired effect if she encounters a maniac. Are you sure this dog isn't for someone else? All kidding aside as they say trust but verify. Dogs are absolutely a polarizing topic regarding all things bicycle or even being out in public. I have a group of neighbors who are friendly and walk dogs by my house. The best dog of them all is the biggest, very friendly dog, a shelter dog. I have a neighbor who made a cage for a pure bred german sheppard who loves to give chase and bite cyclist. That neighbor never walks his dog.

Like I said Good luck, entertaining thread and I'm done with it.
Doesn't seem to me to be any more unusual for someone to look for dog advice here than it is to look for tax, or jobs, or tuition advice - or whether Bill Bellichick really sucks as bad as everyone says? Maybe you read too much into the original post....

93legendti
02-02-2017, 06:25 PM
There are enough guard dogs in the world that the desire for one is well within the mainstream. I find it comforting to know that when we aren't home, our kids are with a dog that will do everything in its considerable power to protect them.

Frankly, I don't know why someone wouldn't want that additional quality in a dog, but I repect oeople that don't.

bikinchris
02-03-2017, 11:26 AM
If she wants a dog to deter people, a nice big black dog would do the trick. It seems to me that people who are up to no good are scared of black dogs. If her climate is cool, maybe a wolfhound?

gemship
02-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Doesn't seem to me to be any more unusual for someone to look for dog advice here than it is to look for tax, or jobs, or tuition advice - or whether Bill Bellichick really sucks as bad as everyone says? Maybe you read too much into the original post....

I don't think I read too much into anything. I did express an opinion which was admittedly challenging. I didn't just unabashedly post pics of cute mutts that look perfectly harmless and that's OK. Why you gotta problem with my post? You gotta problem with Bill Bellichick? He's the best coach in the NFL for the best team in the NFL. Your home team sucks, you don't like it then do something about it. Go by a Pats Jersey learn to feel like a winner! Rather than a Loser.

OtayBW
02-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Whatever. Dude.......:banana:

gemship
02-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Whatever. Dude.......:banana:

You're welcome...I didn't add a smiley but I thought it was funny and glad you do too. All kidding aside I live in Ma. and so so not a football person much less a Pats fan but I have to say there is a simple reality. Bellichik, Brady are both class acts and they win, a lot. That's why people hate them simple as that. I see you don't live in Ma. so I'll presume you are not a fan.

OtayBW
02-03-2017, 03:32 PM
You're welcome...I didn't add a smiley but I thought it was funny and glad you do too. All kidding aside I live in Ma. and so so not a football person much less a Pats fan but I have to say there is a simple reality. Bellichik, Brady are both class acts and they win, a lot. That's why people hate them simple as that. I see you don't live in Ma. so I'll presume you are not a fan.
I lived in MA for 10 years. I really like the Pats, Tom Brady, and (to some extent) Bill Bellichik. But I'm not sure that the Pats are really what we're talking about here.....:rolleyes:

gemship
02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
I lived in MA for 10 years. I really like the Pats, Tom Brady, and (to some extent) Bill Bellichik. But I'm not sure that the Pats are really what we're talking about here.....:rolleyes:

Since we don't know each other I wonder if your telling the truth or pulling my leg.

OtayBW
02-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Since we don't know each other I wonder if your telling the truth or pulling my leg.
It's the truth, but it doesn't much matter...EOM.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gemship
02-03-2017, 04:08 PM
It's the truth, but it doesn't much matter...EOM.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Right on not much matters. I think this thread is kinda funny in a only on the Paceline world kinda way. Here we are on a bike forum where at least a few times a year there is a thread about unleashed dogs chasing cyclist. So this thread is about an attractive women that would prefer to have a dog by her side for at the very least some kind of weirdo deterrent to ward off strangers when she is alone in the woods. If that kinda of statement doesn't invite some kind of peanut gallery comment like mine then I don't know I must be from Mars. No what it invited was a massive outpouring of suggestions and pics of cute cuddly dogs that make the greatest companions. I stated what I stated but it really doesn't matter, glad to agree with all that. Like I said just think it's funny in a ironic kinda way and yeah the OP invited all of us to weigh in on the subject. I am totally rooting for her to get a shelter/rescue dog. They need homes.

mkbk
02-03-2017, 04:46 PM
This is a very, very good forum. For me the OT threads are often the best, I love that people who only have an interest in cycling in common will share knowledge, experience and wisdom together on so many topics. I also love dogs and having any dog with you will make you safer anywhere you are. My boys do not chase bikes, aren't you lucky?

oldguy00
02-22-2017, 07:26 AM
How did I miss this thread?!
Greyhound! Cheap to adopt, mostly house trained, love to sleep!

Did I mention they love to sleep??

http://i64.tinypic.com/11siko0.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mqktx1.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/34rsoi1.jpg

93legendti
02-22-2017, 07:40 AM
This is a very, very good forum. For me the OT threads are often the best, I love that people who only have an interest in cycling in common will share knowledge, experience and wisdom together on so many topics. I also love dogs and having any dog with you will make you safer anywhere you are. My boys do not chase bikes, aren't you lucky?

When I was selling out boat lift on Craigslist I got all sorts of odd calls, I always brought Bowie with me down to the lake... If he likes you, you are ok...

colker
02-22-2017, 07:45 AM

German Shepperd.

oldguy00
02-22-2017, 07:46 AM
German Shepperd.

Whoops, I should have read the first post in the thread more carefully....lol...

OK, for protection, I highly do -not- recommend a greyhound!!! :)
Plus they won't do well on a hike, they get tired.

onsight512
02-22-2017, 07:57 AM
another vote for getting a rescue.
and another vote for getting a pit.

here's 'Blue' (American Staffordshire Terrier):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2664/32236793443_5253e39d27_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/R7DZzv)

and another pic, taken about eight years ago.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2509/32896286362_7ee31b4739_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/S7W4R5)

Such a great dog/being.

Luwabra
02-22-2017, 08:31 AM
We had to say goodbye to our 13 year old best friend last month. Black lab female. Smartest animal I've encountered. We just went through the rescue process and lo and behold a 2.5 year old yellow lab male finds his way to us. He is amazingly smart, calm,and best of all he adores the kids. I am in awe that someone surrendered this sweet boy. we are both very fortunate to have found ea other. Lots of good dogs looking for a new start at shelters/rescue organizations

thirdgenbird
02-22-2017, 08:57 AM
How did I miss this thread?!
Greyhound! Cheap to adopt, mostly house trained, love to sleep!

Did I mention they love to sleep??

We love our greyhound and I've got nothing bad to say about them but they really don't check the "protective" box unless the attacker is allergic to love, sweetness, and/or curiosity.

wpod
02-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Hoss is my third.Chesapeake Bay Retriever (http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/chesapeake-bay-retriever). I am lucky to have him. Everyone he encounters feels his jolly, soulful vibe. Breed is very protective and adapts to a family well. Smart as a whip but calm as can be. My first 2 Chessies where used, rescue dogs and both where terrific, with Samson living 'til +\- 15 yo. Hoss came to me as a 8wk old puppy, so I am his human of record. He has come to love my gal as well and is great with kids. However it has been said Chessies need a strong, Alpha owner as they tend to be strong willed. Never an issue with Hoss.

Sure your friend would thank you should she go that direction.

Kirk007
02-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Since this has turned into a blatant opportunity to post dog photos I nominate, if not a rescue/mutt, then an English Springer Spaniel. Ridiculously loving of most people, 45-55 lbs, love to run and hike, very smart, they are also very protective if they sense their owner is alert/ill at ease with someone or something. My son's dog, the golden pictured here, while a great, great dog would, as someone else mentioned, simply approach an intruder and show off the multiple balls, socks whatever it could fit in its mouth at the time so probably fails on the protective/intimidation aspect.

coylifut
02-22-2017, 11:17 PM
since it hasn't been brought up yet, consider a shelter dog. :)

I put two pure bred dogs down in the last year and was shocked at how expensive dogs have gotten since the last one I paid for 15 years ago.

I have a pit/pointer rescue now. I picked her because she's super sweet. I took the $2k saved on bred dog and spent it on training for her, me and the one daughter left at home. I've had some good dogs in the past, but this one is beyond a good citizen. It was a lot of hard work, but well worth it.

This is the day I adopted her.

Louis
02-22-2017, 11:43 PM
since it hasn't been brought up yet, consider a shelter dog. :)
:
:
This is the day I adopted her.

Very neat.

+ 1111111

coylifut
02-22-2017, 11:46 PM
somehow I didn't give the wife any credit. she works with her every day.