PDA

View Full Version : What an emotional day (non cycling)

Bruce H.
04-09-2004, 05:40 PM
As I watched Arnie (no other name is needed) walk the 18th hole at Augusta this evening I went through many emotions. He was beyond doubt my favorite athlete. He was human and approachable. I walked 18 holes in his gallery at Westchester as a teen and marvelled at his skills and the fact
that he talked with us . It is a shame what age does to the body of man and woman. you can see the desire is there but to quote Arnie, the body is not. At 74 he as fine a gentleman as ever. I will miss him playing golf at Augusta.
Sorry I am off topic, but I had to write something.
Bruce H.

Bill Bove
04-09-2004, 06:37 PM
A couple of years ago I cried watching Ted Williams at the All Star game at Fenway Park. And I never even saw the guy play!! I became a fan in '65 so his memory was still fresh and as a kid you read everything you can about a new passion. One of the great things about baseball and sports in general is they are a thread to our past. My Dad watched the Sox blow it in August and so do I, my Dad is still alive when I watch a game. My parents are buried in Brookline, Mass. my older sister visits their grave on opening day every year because it was my Dad's favorite day of the year. When the wind is blowing right you can hear the organ from Fenway. It is really something. Oh well, I'm getting over sentimental here.

Scott
04-09-2004, 09:56 PM
I went to the practice round on Wed with my dad and two sons. The best part about Wed is the par 3 tourney. You get soooo close to the players and they are at ease, often joking with the crowd. We got to see Arnie (and a host of other stars). He was a gentleman as always. But interestingly enough I enjoyed watching my dad enjoy the tourney more than the event itself (if that makes any sense). The joy he got from being there with me and his two grandsons, watching his hero, was incredible.

I used to love golf... now I love cycling. And although Augusta National is beautiful, I kept thinking cycling the whole time I was there. I kept secretly wishing my Dad could understand the joy that my sons and I get from riding for hours and watching races on OLN. On Sunday I'll be watching the Masters out of respect for my dad while wishing I could flip to OLN to watch Paris-Roubeaux.

Sorry for rambling...