PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Max top tube internal routing

fmradio516
01-31-2017, 12:29 PM
Hello,

I just bought a Max Marinoni the other day and as I was checking out the bike, we noticed it sounded like rust moving around the top tube when turning the frame back and forth. I took out the seat tube and there was a tiny breather hole that a few pieces of what could be rust came out of. My guess is water got in through the internal cable routing (housing isnt budging much when I try to pull on it). I dont see any bubbling on the top tube from rust but theres definitely a good amount of stuff in there. my question is, the internal routing on the TT, is that just holes in the top tube or is there a steel housing guide somehow added into the top tube. Since I dont see rust forming from the inside out, im wondering if it could be the housing guide, if there is one.

I was thinking of drilling the hole thats accessible from the seat tube a little larger and try to get everything out, then frame saver it, though im sure its too late :(

lhuerta
01-31-2017, 12:39 PM
Some internal routing includes a full sleeve others are just holes w/out sleeve. Easiest way to find out is to use a spoke and poke around. However, if there is already something lodged in there u will want to have a plan before poking around too much (either old housing or cable that has been fused to the sleeve or tube by rust). If is is a sleeve, then you will need to figure out how you can snag the debris and pull out or push all the way through to the other hole. If there is no sleeve , you might be able to dislodge and then work to the seat cluster or head tube junction and remove from there.
Good luck

fmradio516
01-31-2017, 03:34 PM
Thanks! I think if I drill out the TT breather hole a little bit from the seat tube area, I can get most of the debris out. But at least im hopeful now that it sounds like it _could_ be the internal routing and not the actual top tube that is rusting.... for now.

ultraman6970
01-31-2017, 04:31 PM
It depends, some come with a 7 mm tube inside to pass the whole casing from side to side, other ones come with a 4 mm tube to pass the cable only, some come with no tube inside just the openings at the front and the back, no idea what marinoni does with internal routing.

rrudoff
01-31-2017, 04:48 PM
For what it is worth, my Max Duell has the ~4 mm tube which passes the cable only thru, the exits at each end are cable stops. As Ultra points out, I think this can vary

paredown
01-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Sometimes you can get a little excess brazing material floating around in there as well.

I used a magnetic end scribe through a breather hole once to clean out some debris on a frame. Not that it was doing any harm, but I hated that you could hear it rattling around in there. Then I frame-savered the heck out of it...

ultraman6970
01-31-2017, 05:45 PM
If the sound is flux then IMO you have 2 options, burn that with a torch/heat so it melts (not an option) and the other option is maybe drop a couple of drops of paint inside so the flux gets trapped in the paint...glue could work aswell.

fmradio516
01-31-2017, 06:37 PM
thanks guys but this sounds like more than flux. its a whole lot of stuff in there. or at least it sounds like a whole lot. but you can tell its not just one piece of flux just moving around in there unfortunately.

8aaron8
01-31-2017, 10:53 PM
Flux stuck in tubes can be really noisy, it can become like a bunch of small pebbles rolling around.

GParkes
02-01-2017, 06:04 AM
If the debris is inside the tube, run some linseed oil in the tube and rotate it around to coat the tube and debris. Let it sit and coagulate for a day and the oil will essentially glue the debris to the wall of the tube - end of rattle. In addition, the oil will assist in rust prevention by protecting the interior tube wall. If you think it is in the cable guide, take an air hose and try blowing it out from one end to other. You could also try blowing out if in TT by taking fork off and shooting air from seat tube and out HT - bigger vent holes in HT would make it more likely to work that way.

fmradio516
02-01-2017, 06:23 AM
If the debris is inside the tube, run some linseed oil in the tube and rotate it around to coat the tube and debris. Let it sit and coagulate for a day and the oil will essentially glue the debris to the wall of the tube - end of rattle. In addition, the oil will assist in rust prevention by protecting the interior tube wall. If you think it is in the cable guide, take an air hose and try blowing it out from one end to other. You could also try blowing out if in TT by taking fork off and shooting air from seat tube and out HT - bigger vent holes in HT would make it more likely to work that way.

im glad i read this before i drilled out the back of the TT from the seat tube. Thanks! :)

GParkes
02-02-2017, 06:01 AM
im glad i read this before i drilled out the back of the TT from the seat tube. Thanks! :)

Drilling that original hole out could cause you an issue - bit grabs and you tear tube. Let us know how you make out.

fmradio516
02-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Drilling that original hole out could cause you an issue - bit grabs and you tear tube. Let us know how you make out.

Welp I pull the fork out and it looks like there are no breather holes for either top tube or down tube in the headtube. So I have the little hole in the back which is too small for the debris to get out.

There is a brake cable/housing going through the internal routing of the TT. It feels like it should be replaced but I dont really want to pull it out in case the internal routing is rotted out and makes it impossible to get new housing in.

GParkes
02-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Sacrifice a cable by cutting off the end with the stop. Run that through the housing, then pull the housing out/over leaving the cable only inside. Then you can take new housing and run it through the tube with the cable inside as its guide. Try the oil to get rid of the rattle.