PDA

View Full Version : Help me get away..

Nooch
01-31-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm looking to get away for a weekend come early spring. I work too much, and just need a little stress relief, so I'm thinking take the car, an air mattress, and a bike, and head to places unknown for a night or two, ride, eat, relax, be alone with my own thoughts.

Thinking somewhere in 'upstate' New York. Thinking camp ground. Thinking good sights and maybe not too many hills. 40-60 miles for the riding day(s). Nothing too crazy.

Saw the Canal trails -- those seem interesting?

So, I'm all for taking suggestions on locations/general areas, as well as camp grounds (showers might be nice?), sights, etc.. that could be enjoyed in a quick 36-48 hour trip. Just need to recharge the batteries.

(Also of note, I've never camped before, either in wilderness or campground, so my knowledge is extremely limited).

Thanks!

cnighbor1
01-31-2017, 12:04 PM
I would add a rack and bike to a motel 1st nite

than do an out an back to same area 2nd day stay there that nite
than go home 3rd day
Carry a change of clothes Rain gear and personal items
I have done a lot of three day trips that way
Reserve room in advance
call if getting past 5 pm to reconfirm room if running late

than maybe in future trying bike camping
also can take a train out say 2 or 3 days riding distance and stay that nite than ride home in one or two or three days with room reservations made in advance

johnmdesigner
01-31-2017, 12:04 PM
I lived between Morris and Gilbertsville New York for many years. Beautiful roads, no traffic (gravel if you desire). Still a campground at Gilbert Lake State Park at the end of the meanest climb in the area. Used to be several other campgrounds in the area. 15 miles from Oneonta and good grub. About 4 hrs from NYC.

CNY rider
01-31-2017, 12:16 PM
I lived between Morris and Gilbertsville New York for many years. Beautiful roads, no traffic (gravel if you desire). Still a campground at Gilbert Lake State Park at the end of the meanest climb in the area. Used to be several other campgrounds in the area. 15 miles from Oneonta and good grub. About 4 hrs from NYC.

Right on.
Except how early is "early" spring to the OP?
March can be quite a snowy month up here and April is onset of mud season.

And the canal trails bore me to tears. I wouldn't come up here for that.

Hilltopperny
01-31-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm just outside the southern Adirondacks and it's pretty similar to what cny rider is saying as far as weather goes. Plenty of campgrounds and lots of state land with all kinds of off road options as well as the mountains. The canalway trail is close by if you want to ride flat mixed terrain. There is also lots of rolling terrain through the hill towns.

Nooch
01-31-2017, 12:26 PM
Honestly, I'm flexible. I'd like to do April sometime, but between my daughter's birthday and my wedding anniversary, there's a good chance it gets pushed back almost to May. (Doesn't do much for my immediate sanity, but hey, plenty of time to plan something).

Also, having just bought an outback i feel compelled to go camping -- must be something they spray in the thing ;)

I like the train idea -- but 7 hours of travel to get somewhere worthwhile to depart from seems not to be a ton of fun..

Keep the ideas coming -- I'm stoked by the idea of this adventure (it's all that's getting me thru work today!)

sandyrs
01-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Can't give you much in the way of camping advice, but the riding around New Paltz NY is spectacular, it won't be too cold in May, and it's half the distance from NYC of the prior suggestion.

oldpotatoe
01-31-2017, 01:43 PM
I'm looking to get away for a weekend come early spring. I work too much, and just need a little stress relief, so I'm thinking take the car, an air mattress, and a bike, and head to places unknown for a night or two, ride, eat, relax, be alone with my own thoughts.

Thinking somewhere in 'upstate' New York. Thinking camp ground. Thinking good sights and maybe not too many hills. 40-60 miles for the riding day(s). Nothing too crazy.

Saw the Canal trails -- those seem interesting?

So, I'm all for taking suggestions on locations/general areas, as well as camp grounds (showers might be nice?), sights, etc.. that could be enjoyed in a quick 36-48 hour trip. Just need to recharge the batteries.

(Also of note, I've never camped before, either in wilderness or campground, so my knowledge is extremely limited).

Thanks!

I envy you. I'm sure than a few of us would like to get away, ALONE, for a few days. I'd find a nice little hotel/motel in a small little burg to base out of. Nice day rides, have a comfy place to shower, eat, drink, watch sunset....

Nooch
01-31-2017, 01:49 PM
I envy you. I'm sure than a few of us would like to get away, ALONE, for a few days. I'd find a nice little hotel/motel in a small little burg to base out of. Nice day rides, have a comfy place to shower, eat, drink, watch sunset....

I didn't think it'd be possible either. But the wife has taken notice that the batteries are running very low lately, and she herself has finally started to understand what taking care of yourself can do before you can take care of everyone else. "You've gotta put the mask on yourself first before you help the person sitting next to you..." she tells me last night.

oldpotatoe
01-31-2017, 01:54 PM
I didn't think it'd be possible either. But the wife has taken notice that the batteries are running very low lately, and she herself has finally started to understand what taking care of yourself can do before you can take care of everyone else. "You've gotta put the mask on yourself first before you help the person sitting next to you..." she tells me last night.

Good for you. If I mentioned doing this, the resulting pain, 'what's wrong' would be a pita.

AngryScientist
01-31-2017, 01:57 PM
careful, you may just get hooked!

i've been camping all over the state of NY, and in many hotels and motels as well. there are a ton of great corners to the state, and a lot of unique stuff to see and do.

if it's just for a weekend, you'll want to limit your driving time, to not cut too far into the time you get to spend relaxing.

if you've really never been camping before, and you are serious about wanting to recharge and relax, you may want to consider finding a campground with rustic cabins to rent. in order to be comfortable camping completely outdoors you need some basic gear and will be a held hostage by the weather.

i recently stayed in a great little campground up by member cny's house with log cabins that was pretty dirt cheap. the cabin was basic but perfect for my needs, fire pit, picnic table, etc.

at a minimum, you'll want to find a spot with a heated restrooms with hot water showers. if you're going to ride, showering afterwards is pretty much mandatory.

one more tip - depending on where you wind up in NY, if you've not been super active in the off season, dont plan 60 mile rides. the hills upstate are not to be underestimated and you dont want to be on the death march as the sun is going down at mile 55 when you're trying to recharge for the weekend.

Hilltopperny
01-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Check out pine lake or caroga lake campgrounds. Reasonably cheap with the necessary accommodations for a new camper. Nice scenery and lots of good riding depending on what you'd like to do for the day. It's probably a 3 to 3.5 hr drive from the city depending on where you live.

Ken Robb
01-31-2017, 05:06 PM
Leslie and I had a wonderful time in Cannandaigua at The Oliver Phelps Inn. Lots of neat roads, lovely little town, pretty lake, short drive to Erie canal Tow Path which we thought was scenic and fun if not a challenging ride. The potential added benefit is you might get to meet our own DBRK. :-)

Frankwurst
01-31-2017, 05:58 PM
Good for you. If I mentioned doing this, the resulting pain, 'what's wrong' would be a pita.

Sure hope for your sake Mrs. Spud doesn't come to the paceline or you'll really be in the pita catagorey.:beer:

Louis
01-31-2017, 06:32 PM

I must be getting soft as I get old(er), but a quiet, out-of-the-way B&B with a nice warm shower and comfy bed sounds a lot better to me than sleeping in the back of the van or out with the bugs. Yes, listening to the owls hooting as you drift off to sleep in a tent is nice, but I can already do that from the comfort of my bedroom.

johnmdesigner
01-31-2017, 07:00 PM
Can't give you much in the way of camping advice, but the riding around New Paltz NY is spectacular, it won't be too cold in May, and it's half the distance from NYC of the prior suggestion.

I have an older guide book "Bicycling in the Mid Hudson Valley" (or something like that) that has rides around the New Paltz area.
There were campgrounds and little motels around the Accord area. I had a "to myself" weekend a few years back. Accord, Stone Ridge, Rosendale, the Reservoir and Peekamoose if you're strong enough. Take the back roads. Plenty to eat in New Paltz. I stayed in a little motel in High Falls. I think you really appreciate a hot shower and a comfortable bed after a long day of riding.

ptourkin
01-31-2017, 07:31 PM
Re: CNY

I lived in Ithaca for three years of school. One of my roommates' birthday was April 23. There was snow on the ground for her birthday all three years.

Nooch
02-02-2017, 12:19 PM
just bumping this up for some more ideas :)