PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Ultimate CF SL advice

Mustangski
01-31-2017, 07:52 AM
Good evening,
I have been thinking of replacing my 2007 Cannondale Six13 frame, I have been looking at the Canyon's for a while now. I am stationed in Japan and have the ability to purchase one here so I'm moving forward on an Ultimate frameset and will just swap all the components from my old bike since I scored a great deal on a SRAM Red group set two years back.

I have been attempting to compare the geometry's of the two bikes and the size medium and my size 54 Cannondale seem to be very close. The site recommends a size small and I have read numerous reviews regarding Canyon recommending bikes smaller than usual. I received a bike fit on the Cannondale and am fairly comfortable, my only concern is the difference in seat tube length is about 5 CM shorter on the Canyon size small. I was hoping for a slightly more relaxed geometry, but am comfortable on the Six13 so the medium seems like a better option.

Does anyone have a Canyon? Did you move to a smaller size frame based on the recommendations from the site? My rough measurements are below, thanks for the assistance.

Height 70"
Inseam 32.75"
Torso 24.8"
Arm 23.8"

tuscanyswe
01-31-2017, 08:09 AM
If you post detailed geometry of both frames you will get great wisdom from this place!

Without that info in the thread you are relying on ppl to do the homework and look it up for you or just geting info from ppl who have that specific frame (perhaps not a great number of ppl on here do).

Generally when talking about Canyons ppl seem to say that they size up in terms of that most buy a 60 canyon but perhaps previously had a size 58 trek or whatever. That info is ofc very vague but it has been the info that my subconscious have picked up over the years .)

kramnnim
01-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Stack and reach of the M seems to be closer to my 54cm Evo than the small. But I have no idea if your Cannondale has the same geo as my Evo.

S looks tiny.

JeffWarner
01-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Stack and reach of the M seems to be closer to my 54cm Evo than the small. But I have no idea if your Cannondale has the same geo as my Evo.

S looks tiny.

Deleted post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
01-31-2017, 11:18 AM
The size small will be much too small for you based on your measurements. I'm less than an inch taller and ride a Ultimate CF SLX size medium with a 120mm stem. As a visual, the bb-saddle is 73.75cm and saddle to bars is 57cm.

Mustangski
01-31-2017, 01:57 PM
If you post detailed geometry of both frames you will get great wisdom from this place!

Without that info in the thread you are relying on ppl to do the homework and look it up for you or just geting info from ppl who have that specific frame (perhaps not a great number of ppl on here do).

Generally when talking about Canyons ppl seem to say that they size up in terms of that most buy a 60 canyon but perhaps previously had a size 58 trek or whatever. That info is ofc very vague but it has been the info that my subconscious have picked up over the years .)

Very good point, not asking for someone to look up the geometry. I have the info and will post it tonight after work, more so looking to see if everyone else sized up from the recommended size for the frame. It seems odd they recommend a small for my measurements.

Thanks for the reply.

Mustangski
01-31-2017, 02:22 PM
I found the Six13 info in the BikeCad archives, the only difference is I use a 100 stem in my setup.

The Canyon info was pulled directly from the site, I am still leaning towards a medium. Does anyone have a bike comparison tool, something I can enter both geometry info into and see them side by side?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bykh8v1Og0CfSWNLT0RUNWVDbW8

kramnnim
01-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Just compare stack and reach.

chazzwazzer
01-31-2017, 02:25 PM
www.bikegeo.net

echappist
01-31-2017, 02:32 PM
Very good point, not asking for someone to look up the geometry. I have the info and will post it tonight after work, more so looking to see if everyone else sized up from the recommended size for the frame. It seems odd they recommend a small for my measurements.

Thanks for the reply.

glad to know that the bike has served you well the past few years. As former owner of that particular six13, I'd go with size S. The six13 had a 545 mm effective top tube and a 14.6 cm head tube; the Canyon has a 543 mm top tube and 13.0 cm head tube. The good thing about Canyon is that their headset spacers have a profile that more or less match that of the head tube, and so 1.5 cm of spacers underneath don't look particularly out of place.

Then again, if you need additional spacers underneath, that may change things. Personally i think 2cm more on the top tube is a quite significant change.

Personally, I've been thinking of getting a Canyon Aeroad some time down the road, and would get the XS as that bike is quite stretched out (549 mm top tube and a 13.0 cm head tube)

Mustangski
02-01-2017, 05:25 AM
Just compare stack and reach.

I've been reading about this measurement, but I need to see it. Definitely more of a visual person.

I used the comparison tool, and both frames seem to be fairly close to my current setup. However the small seems like it would have a lot of seatpost showing above the clamp but the TT is better for what I am looking for. Still not fully sure, thanks again for everyone's assistance.

oldpotatoe
02-01-2017, 05:35 AM
Good evening,
I have been thinking of replacing my 2007 Cannondale Six13 frame, I have been looking at the Canyon's for a while now. I am stationed in Japan "

OT, I was too..what/where are ya doing there?

-Midway-Maru, 1980-1983..part of the USN Overseas Family Separation Program.

Haze gray and underway a lot.

Bentley
02-01-2017, 05:54 AM
I know this will take the convo off the original path but does anyone know when Canyon will be available in the US?

Ray

oldpotatoe
02-01-2017, 06:20 AM
I know this will take the convo off the original path but does anyone know when Canyon will be available in the US?

Ray

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2016/05/25/canyon-says-it-will-begin-consumer-direct-sales-us-next-spring#.WJHSf7YrIW0

'spring'....I think summer...

R3awak3n
02-01-2017, 06:20 AM

Ray

Ah the million dollar question. I have wanted one and thought about waiting but decided against. I know they were having issues delivering bikes, wonder if they got that sorted out

Mustangski
02-01-2017, 07:42 AM
OT, I was too..what/where are ya doing there?

-Midway-Maru, 1980-1983..part of the USN Overseas Family Separation Program.

Haze gray and underway a lot.

I'm a Motor Transport Maintenance Officer for the Marine Corps, and I am living the dream right now in the South Pacific! Just booked a trip to Bali, Indonesia and living the island life in warm weather!

I can't imagine having to do this without my family, although they still do two year overseas tours unaccompanied. That is very hard on everyone.

Mustangski
02-01-2017, 07:48 AM
The size small will be much too small for you based on your measurements. I'm less than an inch taller and ride a Ultimate CF SLX size medium with a 120mm stem. As a visual, the bb-saddle is 73.75cm and saddle to bars is 57cm.

Thank you, that is the most convincing post. I had to see it really, your bb-saddle is almost identical to my current Six13, is your saddle to bars correct at 57? I measure 63cm on my Six13 saddle to bars.

I'm going with a medium, thanks again for the pic. Bike looks amazing! Makes me even more excited to get ahold of the Canyon.

weisan
02-01-2017, 08:24 AM
mustang pal, not sure if this help but definitely no harm. I corresponded a while back with a forum pal who was selling his Canyon (not your size) AND also living in Japan...what are the odds, right? ;) Maybe you could contact Caballero pal...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=196283

fignon's barber
02-01-2017, 09:08 AM
is your saddle to bars correct at 57? I measure 63cm on my Six13 saddle to bars.

Taking a tape measure from the tip of the saddle to the intersection of the handlebar center and stem is 57.75cm.

Mustangski
02-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Quick follow up, I've read about the hassles of ordering a Canyon which I believed to be mainly due to figuring out shipping. Since I live in Japan I have the shipping address required to receive the bike, however I can't seem to pay for it. My credit card company instantly flagged it as fraudulent, and even with them on the phone when I hit the buy button it wouldn't go through. I use my CC all throughout Asia and have never had a problem, the CC company said Canyon is flagged in Visa's system to automatically flag for some reason. Anyway, that cancels the Canyon plan as the only other option is to do an international bank transfer with a Japanese bank. I'm not comfortable with that so I'm moving on.

I have been looking into the Litespeed M3, very good price right now and a good looking frame.

Time to try something different.