PDA

View Full Version : The Paceline Buddy System

jambee
01-31-2017, 06:46 AM
Here is an idea.

We could have a buddy system where folks who try to get off the terrible habit of buying loads of bikes and bike components, find a buddy on the forum who will spot them.

Spotting could be:
- If you are going to buy anything on the forum you have to explain to your buddy why you are buying it and if he/she says no, you are not buying it.

- Buddy monitoring your messages. If you register on a for sale thread your interest, buddy will block the purchase.

Who's in?

OtayBW
01-31-2017, 07:00 AM
I think this is not a Buddy System. It's a Twelve Step Program....and we are all co-dependent!!!!! :eek:

R3awak3n
01-31-2017, 07:05 AM
but would it work or would it be like going to an AA meeting where everyone currently still drinks?

jambee
01-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Call it what you want :-)

I need help!

R3awak3n
01-31-2017, 07:13 AM
Call it what you want :-)

I need help!

lol, I will be there for you but if the deal is too good I might be an enabler :bike:

teleguy57
01-31-2017, 07:33 AM
I thought our purpose was to rationalize and enable... at least that's what happens to me here!:beer:

Tickdoc
01-31-2017, 07:37 AM
can I have dibs on what my buddy is trying to buy but doesn't need;)

jambee
01-31-2017, 07:38 AM
@TickDoc

your buddy must decide that!

AngryScientist
01-31-2017, 07:51 AM
you're going about this all wrong.

a better approach would be to have a paceline buddy who lives close by and rides the same sized bike.

advantages:

-bike sharing
-ride buddy
-place to stash new purchases until the heat is off
-couch to sleep on in the event of getting thrown out of primary residence

pbarry
01-31-2017, 08:15 AM
The "I'll take it when you're done with it" PM works out nicely. :beer:

FlashUNC
01-31-2017, 08:49 AM
Just get married. Same effect.

kramnnim
01-31-2017, 09:31 AM
I'd prefer a buddy system where we each have a list of "wants" that we share with our buddies and we help each other shop for stuff. :hello:

CampyorBust
01-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Sounds like the reverberations of an overbearing surveillance nanny state are spilling over into the cyclosphere. No thanks! :D

daker13
01-31-2017, 09:35 AM

a better approach would be to have a paceline buddy who lives close by and rides the same sized bike.

advantages:

-bike sharing
-ride buddy

NOW you're talking... especially three and four.

If I had ANY sense, I'd be out one Mx Leader (sans fork). And any buddy who waved me off from it, is no buddy.

thegunner
01-31-2017, 09:41 AM

advantages:

-bike sharing
-ride buddy

so between me, you, and nooch, we got a few serottas (steel and carbon), a peg, a zank, a moots, a speedvagen, and a soon to be firefly.

i'm missing some right? i like this buddy system.

josephr
01-31-2017, 09:58 AM
I thought our purpose was to rationalize and enable... at least that's what happens to me here!:beer:

exactly...this is the way of *real* bike buddies! :beer:

SpokeValley
01-31-2017, 10:00 AM

advantages:

-bike sharing
-ride buddy

This is a great idea. Almost like Paceline local chapters. :beer:

Tickdoc
01-31-2017, 10:02 AM
This is a great idea. Almost like Paceline local chapters. :beer:

Then I would say we already have that, it is just not organized yet.

Wait, is that the point of this post?

Can we call it biketinder?

tiretrax
01-31-2017, 10:19 AM

My thoughts, too, except my wife doesn't approve of anything bike related. That's why separate accounts were invented. Ok, she is ok with bikes costing <$1,000, at least that what I tell her they cost. I hope she never goes into the lbs or websurfs for Moots.

thegunner
01-31-2017, 10:37 AM
My thoughts, too, except my wife doesn't approve of anything bike related. That's why separate accounts were invented. Ok, she is ok with bikes costing <$1,000, at least that what I tell her they cost. I hope she never goes into the lbs or websurfs for Moots.

my wife's an enabler. i usually second guess my own purchases and she asks me if i'm going to be sad if i don't have it :D

Nooch
01-31-2017, 10:38 AM
so between me, you, and nooch, we got a few serottas (steel and carbon), a peg, a zank, a moots, a speedvagen, and a soon to be firefly.

i'm missing some right? i like this buddy system.

and a 'zetti...

CNY rider
01-31-2017, 10:43 AM

advantages:

-bike sharing
-ride buddy

Under this model I would have to be paired with pal Hilltopper 'cause he's close by and there's some overlap in the size we ride.
But monitoring his bike acquisitions would be a full time position. I wouldn't have time to work!

Mzilliox
01-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Under this model I would have to be paired with pal Hilltopper 'cause he's close by and there's some overlap in the size we ride.
But monitoring his bike acquisitions would be a full time position. I wouldn't have time to work!

no kidding, being the same size him and I are often chatting about bikes and calling next dibs, too bad im so far away!

thwart
01-31-2017, 01:53 PM
my wife's an enabler. i usually second guess my own purchases and she asks me if i'm going to be sad if i don't have it :D

I'd wager this is a bit unusual.

Although for some of us, that approach would in all likelihood lead to fewer bikes around.

jambee
01-31-2017, 02:04 PM
My girlfriend (partner, SO, what have you) is an enabler as well.

She does not encourage me to get anything new, but when I torment myself about getting a new bike/component/wheels, she always sides with the "spend the money" camp.

Still...I am down to 4 bikes. One in means that one has to leave. The next one to enter is my Elephant NFE and my Van Diesel will have to find a new home.

And then what....sigh....:bike:

jambee
01-31-2017, 02:04 PM
BTW: Paceline Local Chapter is a great idea.

Anyone in Berlin, Germany?

MattTuck
01-31-2017, 02:18 PM
Soon, the forum sponsors will be financial advisors, divorce attorneys and bankruptcy firms. :beer::beer::beer::beer:

tuxbailey
01-31-2017, 02:56 PM

advantages:

-bike sharing
-ride buddy

"Heat?" Don't we ship stuff to our offices anyway? Or parents' home?

weisan
01-31-2017, 03:29 PM
Just go ahead and shoot me....

:D

unterhausen
01-31-2017, 03:30 PM
I have a standing offer that for $20 I will tell you if something is a good idea or not. No pay, no work

batman1425
01-31-2017, 03:31 PM
For unknown reasons, whenever I hear "buddy system" I think of that terrible 90's movie Heavyweights and the scene with the German camp counselor. "Don't worry, we're on the body system... BODDDYY!!!!"

BPMasterman
01-31-2017, 03:44 PM
This would save so many people, so much money! Hahaha!

OtayBW
01-31-2017, 04:51 PM
my wife's an enabler. i usually second guess my own purchases and she asks me if i'm going to be sad if i don't have it :DDoes she have any sisters? :banana:

2wheelwill
01-31-2017, 09:18 PM

+1. My wife is my buddy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kppolich
01-31-2017, 09:43 PM
I'd get behind this, Just ran the numbers on "PayPal" for 2016 and MAN! I was surprised. I knew it was a large #, but not that big. I just listed the rest of my extra parts and then will be deleting my PayPal and eBay accounts :crap: