PDA

View Full Version : How are those new years resolutions holding up?

stephenmarklay
01-29-2017, 09:43 AM
I posted a new years resolution topic and mine was to lose weight for cycling. Pretty standard stuff set to fail I suppose.

I mentally took this a step further and said my new set-point would not be 185 since when I was not paying attention the inevitable creep would put me in the lower 190’s and that was where I sat on new years day. I decided that day that I would change my mindset so when I get to 160+- that will be my new normal.

This is me in the green swim trunks doing the polar bear plunge. I was about as fat I get and I decided to end it.

Good news on that front. I weighed myself today for the first time. In weighed 181.5. I have lost more than 10 pounds this month. That is exactly what I wanted to do. I don’t care enough to do a body fat measurement but I am likely somewhere in the 10% range now. Well what people call 10% but in reality if I were to do a DEXA scan I bet it would be greater than 15%. So if I go to 160 I would likely be somewhere around 5%. There are tons of variables and again I don’t won’t to get hung up on the details.

I am aware that you have to be very careful getting so low in BF as the body does not like to be super low. I am not obsessed with a particular BF. That is not the goal.

I plan to lose some upper body muscle and gain some leg mass during this process. I am now starting to really tailor my nutrition for workouts where the first month was pretty standard.

I have no plan on looking like Froome, with ribs poking out and arms the size of twigs. I do other things that muscle mass helps. So I want to be lean AND muscular.

I am changing my mindset so when I get to 160+- that will be my new normal.

Anyone else on this path?

OtayBW
01-29-2017, 09:52 AM
This is me in the green swim trunks doing the polar bear plunge.The one-piece or the two-piece? ;)

Tickdoc
01-29-2017, 10:06 AM
I see no fatties there in that pic.

Good on you for your goals, and definitely keep the upper body engaged so you don't end up looking like Froome:eek:

Keep up the good work.

Polar bear plunge? Brrrr, no thanks.

stephenmarklay
01-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Funny. Don’t tell my wife but she she is behind me in orange :eek:

We turn 48 in couple months. We are doing OK. I just want better than OK.

mhespenheide
01-29-2017, 01:07 PM
semi-OT to this thread.

I generally don't like New Year's resolutions. But this year I set a goal (a lot easier than Stephen's) to make sure that I get out to camp and/or backpack at least once each month. Last night, with options running out for January, I drove up into the local hills and into the Los Padres National Forest. I found a turnoff with a closed gate and "road closed". Hitched up the pack, walked about 15 minutes in, threw a tarp/pad/sleeping bag out on the ground and slept under the stars. Back in time for breakfast this morning. 20-year-old me would wonder if that counted; 40-year-old me is just happy I got out.

YoKev
01-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Terrible. I brought another frame a few days ago. Yolo...

But, 2016 resolution still going strong; chiropractor every 4-6 weeks!

stephenmarklay
01-29-2017, 04:46 PM
semi-OT to this thread.

I generally don't like New Year's resolutions. But this year I set a goal (a lot easier than Stephen's) to make sure that I get out to camp and/or backpack at least once each month. Last night, with options running out for January, I drove up into the local hills and into the Los Padres National Forest. I found a turnoff with a closed gate and "road closed". Hitched up the pack, walked about 15 minutes in, threw a tarp/pad/sleeping bag out on the ground and slept under the stars. Back in time for breakfast this morning. 20-year-old me would wonder if that counted; 40-year-old me is just happy I got out.

I think that is one of the best new years resolutions ever.

onsight512
01-29-2017, 04:51 PM
I see no fatties there in that pic.

Good on you for your goals, and definitely keep the upper body engaged so you don't end up looking like Froome:eek:

Keep up the good work.

Polar bear plunge? Brrrr, no thanks.

+1 to all that, but -0.5 for not posting a link to the video. :no:

Someone started a 100 push-up challenge across the hall that has sort of turned into my new year's resolution. the goal being to get to the point where i can do a single set of 100 push-ups. i'm making progress...

Tickdoc
01-29-2017, 05:15 PM

Someone started a 100 push-up challenge across the hall that has sort of turned into my new year's resolution. the goal being to get to the point where i can do a single set of 100 push-ups. i'm making progress...

Just join the army, they'll help you attain that goal :)

bikingshearer
01-29-2017, 07:15 PM
I don't do New Year's resolutions. However, I do hope to be around on January 1, 2018, to not make any New Year's resolutions.

booglebug
01-29-2017, 08:01 PM
To lose weight just like in years past. The 3 hot dog 4 beer thing is working perfect.

Tandem Rider
01-29-2017, 08:30 PM
Workin' out great!!!

Ride less, work and drink more!!

On track!

Should be a stellar year:cool:

stephenmarklay
01-29-2017, 09:18 PM

I like your pushup challenge and I am down with it. I started doing 1 minute pushups (30 seconds down 30 seconds up) and those are fun.

Here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlavGFsWG0U

We go in around 1:27

mhespenheide
01-29-2017, 09:18 PM
I think that is one of the best new years resolutions ever.

It's a lot easier to keep it in Central CA than Eastern WA!

stephenmarklay
01-29-2017, 09:23 PM
It's a lot easier to keep it in Central CA than Eastern WA!

Yeah I was thinking in the single digit weather we have had over the last month it would take some real planning. It would be more of survival challenge than camping night.

onsight512
01-29-2017, 09:41 PM
I like your pushup challenge and I am down with it. I started doing 1 minute pushups (30 seconds down 30 seconds up) and those are fun.

Here ya go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlavGFsWG0U

We go in around 1:27

props to you. that looks nuts. that'd be 'fun' to try only to see if i could mentally get myself to do it. once.
and i'll have to try a one minute push up. that sounds brutal. :beer:

stephenmarklay
01-29-2017, 09:47 PM
props to you. that looks nuts. that'd be 'fun' to try only to see if i could mentally get myself to do it. once.
and i'll have to try a one minute push up. that sounds brutal. :beer:

It was in the teens that day and snowing a bit. The worst part is trying to get some cloths back on after you get out. Everything else is cake :D

unterhausen
01-30-2017, 11:35 AM
I resolved to clean my basement.

It's not really a New Years resolution, since it started last year, but I also decided to get faster and lose weight. I'm not weighing myself, but I've been doing pretty well on the trainer. Weight is my main goal, since that has health implications for me.