PDA

View Full Version : new chain help needed

Tickdoc
01-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Installed new veloce chain with quick link. first ride today and so much better in the driveline smoothness department.

Having trouble with the inner gears skipping. High is dead on , low is dead on, but I'm having to hunt and trim a bunch in the middle.

Cicli
01-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Sounds like a classic case of worn cassette and new chain.

EmoryDPTT
01-28-2017, 06:21 PM
^ this.
Classic symptoms of a worn cassette. You will probably notice the most amount of skipping in the gears you commonly use.
Change the cassette and it should feel like a brand new drivetrain.

Ronsonic
01-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Could very well be a worn cassette, but double check the chain length and "B screw," knuckle-screw whatever you call it. Modern chain and tooth profiles are so eager to shift they'll try to take off on you if they get an excuse.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2017, 05:24 AM
Installed new veloce chain with quick link. first ride today and so much better in the driveline smoothness department.

Having trouble with the inner gears skipping. High is dead on , low is dead on, but I'm having to hunt and trim a bunch in the middle.

Once on a cog, does it skip under load? Is not centered after shifting or skipping on a cog?

If centered on a cog and then skipping under load-worn out cogset.

If it can't 'find' a cog, isn't centering, could be drag in cable/housing/under BB guide or your RH lever 'may' need an OVH..weak/busted spring or broken spring carrier. Crisp 'clicks?'

Tickdoc
01-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Once on a cog, does it skip under load? Is not centered after shifting or skipping on a cog?

If it can't 'find' a cog, isn't centering, could be drag in cable/housing/under BB guide or your RH lever 'may' need an OVH..weak/busted spring or broken spring carrier. Crisp 'clicks?'

I'll try the cassette first.

It is centered but jumping.

Shifting has always been a bit sluggish.

Been toying with replacing cables anyway and that would be my chance to remove and send to you to rehab.

This is the most "rode hard and put up wet" bike I've owned to date, but I just love it. Call it a good learning experience bike for the amateur mechanic I am.

Thanks Gents.

OtayBW
01-29-2017, 09:22 AM

This is a great distinction to make and right on target. Spent a couple of weeks a while back tweaking the rear shifting etc. on a new (old) puchase last Spring trying to figure out the cause of the skipping. Finally rebuilt the RH lever...Et Voila! Diagnosis (in hindsight) was exacty as Peter mentioned - and the prognsis is looking good! :hello:

Tickdoc
01-29-2017, 09:33 AM
so if I shift the rear and can count to ten before something actually clicks is there a problem?:eek:

OtayBW
01-29-2017, 09:48 AM
so if I shift the rear and can count to ten before something actually clicks is there a problem?:eek:
Exactly!

As long as your rides are only 10s.....