PDA

View Full Version : Installing Mini-V Brakes No Spring Tension

scoobydrew
01-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Just purchased a set of TRP CX8.4 Mini-Vs and attempted to install it last night.

I noticed there was no spring tension as the pad got closer to the rim. The arms basically went up against the rim with no resistance and obviously did not spring back out.

The tension adjustment screws on each arm are all the way in and I even moved the spring ends to the highest hole on each brake boss with no luck.

After some Googling, it looks like I can bend the spring arms back to create tension.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Cicli
01-28-2017, 01:32 PM
I had that once on my Jamis Nova. Was able to loosen the brake boss and reposition the washer behind it. Basicly moving the hole the spring indexes into. Then fine tuned it with the adjuster screw. Worked really well.

genbar
01-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I had the same issue with my CX9s where I felt I had to bend the spring arms. IIRC the tensioner is softer than the screws and designed to break when over-tightened so I dunno if I would keep tinkering with that... but it does sound like the tensioner is about to reach that breaking point.

After I broke mine, I emailed Tektro/TRP's customer service and they sent me 2 tensioner bits (aka 1 brake's worth) for free.

Tony
01-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I had the same issue with my CX9s where I felt I had to bend the spring arms. IIRC the tensioner is softer than the screws and designed to break when over-tightened so I dunno if I would keep tinkering with that... but it does sound like the tensioner is about to reach that breaking point.

After I broke mine, I emailed Tektro/TRP's customer service and they sent me 2 tensioner bits (aka 1 brake's worth) for free.

This
Do it gentle backing up the bottom of the spring arm while bending.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2017, 05:27 AM
Just purchased a set of TRP CX8.4 Mini-Vs and attempted to install it last night.

I noticed there was no spring tension as the pad got closer to the rim. The arms basically went up against the rim with no resistance and obviously did not spring back out.

The tension adjustment screws on each arm are all the way in and I even moved the spring ends to the highest hole on each brake boss with no luck.

After some Googling, it looks like I can bend the spring arms back to create tension.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Do they move smoothly on the posts? Or draggy? Could be the posts are too short or bunch of paint/gunk at base causing arms to be way draggy preventing smooth in and out movement.

David Kirk
01-29-2017, 09:03 AM
It can be all-too easy to put the springs on the wrong sides.....it would be worth double checking that.

dave