PDA

View Full Version : NEW Thomson Components

sales guy
01-28-2017, 11:36 AM
In getting parts for NAHBS bikes, Thomson sent me some new and prototype components.

One is the Masterpiece C, as in CARBON seatpost. It has a carbon tube, carbon lower cradle and carbon top plate. Designed just like the regular Masterpiece, it is lighter, but not crazy light. This is a prototype they sent me. It will be real come late Spring. $-TBD

Another is their Alloy Road Bar. Designed just like their Carbon Road Bar, it has the same shape and it pretty light. Again, a prototype but it'll be real come late Spring. Should be a great seller. The carbon bar is excellent and has a wonderful shape. This is the same design so it'll be fantastic. $-TBD

Last one is their Gravel Drop Flare Bar. For all the people doing gravel now, this should be a great option. Light, stiff and durable. Again, another prototype but it'll be real come late Spring. $-TBD

Enjoy!

Cicli
01-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Cool,
Any info on the 25mm setback seatpost?

eBAUMANN
01-28-2017, 11:52 AM
me likey

sales guy
01-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Cool,
Any info on the 25mm setback seatpost?

Yeah, that is in testing and will be summer-ish. I asked for one but all the prototypes are in use being killed right now. So it was a no. They will have one at their booth at NAHBS of course tho.

I'm quite impressed with the carbon post and the new alloy bars. Good finish and the hand position on the road bars are excellent. It's the same as the Deda 100 RHM shape, which the carbon road bar is the same. Very nice stuff.

eBAUMANN
01-28-2017, 12:00 PM
It's the same as the Deda 100 RHM shape, which the carbon road bar is the same. Very nice stuff.

Really?! Wow, that explains a lot.
I accidentally-on-purpose ended up with thomson and deda bars on all my bikes...because I liked the bend. :beer:

I haven't seen the most recent setback designs but id love to see them build the setback into the clamp instead of the shaft, a la fizik/deda.

Also a matte option for the finish on the post would not be unwelcome...although I guess that wouldn't match their bars/stems as well...

Either way, love that they are doing alloy stuff now and those gravel bars look sweet if they maintain the same bend as the road bars.

sales guy
01-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Really?! Wow, that explains a lot.
I accidentally-on-purpose ended up with thomson and deda bars on all my bikes...because I liked the bend. :beer:

I haven't seen the most recent setback designs but id love to see them build the setback into the clamp instead of the shaft, a la fizik/deda.

Also a matte option for the finish on the post would not be unwelcome...although I guess that wouldn't match their bars/stems as well...

Either way, love that they are doing alloy stuff now and those gravel bars look sweet if they maintain the same bend as the road bars.

Yeah, I have the Deda Zero 100 bars and love them cause of the shape. That shape we used at Thomson for the road bar(back when I worked there). The shape is smooth and easy on hands, wrists and arms. It a wonderful shape. And yep, the RHM is essentially on the new alloys as is on the carbons.

For the 25mm setback post, it is built into the head. Personally, I think it looks like garbage. But that's just me. So they will have 3 posts eventually in alloy. In carbon they will only have the straight at least for some time.

eBAUMANN
01-28-2017, 12:41 PM
oh geez yea that looks pretty bad...

25mm is also a lot of setback, more than most people need...I bet they could make 12-15mm look way better.

velotrack
01-28-2017, 12:41 PM
I agree, sales guy. The 25mm looks bad.

The stuff in your top post is great. The alloy bars will sell well

thirdgenbird
01-28-2017, 12:44 PM
oh geez yea that looks terrible...

A 8mm offset clamp that worked with their existing posts could be cool. It would give you several options:

sales guy
01-28-2017, 12:48 PM
OH, and another thing, the new 25mm post will not have the machining lines. The post/tube will be completely smooth. Those marks are purposely put in the material. And it's actually an extra step. So it takes more time and money to do it. The funny thing is is when they removed those lines, people complained cause they loved that look of it. Not sure what people will say when this thing hits the world.

But yeah, the new head is hideous!

And yeah, those alloy bars will do incredibly well.

genbar
01-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Do you have specs on the gravel bars? They look gr8

thirdgenbird
01-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Do you have specs on the gravel bars? They look gr8

Agreed. Will silver be an option?

sales guy
01-28-2017, 01:32 PM
No silver will not be an option. Not unless a **** ton of people scream for it.

As for the weights and dimensions, I don't know. I can get them tomorrow from my office. I'm cooked for today.
I'll list the post weight and the bars weights and dimensions tomorrow.

The alloys like I said are basically the Deda Zero 100 alloy road bar. Except they measure end to end. Thomson does center to center. The gravel, not sure. They are also doing the KFC bar in alloy too for those who don't want that much flair on the drops.

But I'll get the info tomorrow.

beeatnik
01-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Don't get the carbon post.

The alloy bars are legit.

gavingould
01-28-2017, 02:53 PM
They are also doing the KFC bar in alloy too
dang, i just picked up a second carbon KFC bar because i like them so much. that's great!

bicycletricycle
01-28-2017, 03:09 PM
that 25mm setback post is awesome, i want.

is it forged one piece ?

sales guy
01-28-2017, 03:50 PM
The new post is forged and then machined. The old posts are extruded then machined. Also it's doubtful they'll do a masterpiece edition in the new 25mm head one. When they do the masterpiece they broach the insides from the top and bottom to make it lighter. They wouldn't be able to do the top on the new post. So it wouldn't be worth it. But you never know. They might do it.

teleguy57
01-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Wait, the Thompson alloy bar is the same as their road bar today? Which is the same as a the Deda RHM? I have the KFC bar in carbon and love the shape, but I thought it was deeper than the Deda.

Are the alloy bars 31.8 all the way to the curves as is the case with the KFCs? Hard to tell from the photos if they also have the same wider platform around the curves as the carbon KFCs. Really comfy spot for my hands with my Campag Ergo 2 levers.

Sounds like the alloys could really be a great bar.

thegunner
01-28-2017, 07:59 PM
how wide are those bars?

sales guy
01-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Wait, the Thompson alloy bar is the same as their road bar today? Which is the same as a the Deda RHM? I have the KFC bar in carbon and love the shape, but I thought it was deeper than the Deda.

Are the alloy bars 31.8 all the way to the curves as is the case with the KFCs? Hard to tell from the photos if they also have the same wider platform around the curves as the carbon KFCs. Really comfy spot for my hands with my Campag Ergo 2 levers.

Sounds like the alloys could really be a great bar.

The Carbon road bar and Alloy road bar will be the same shape. Just different materials. Same for the KFC Carbon and KFC Alloy.

The Carbon Road was based on the Deda Zero 100 RHM shape.

The KFC carbon is slightly different than the Road.

For the tops of the road bars, they stay pretty close to 31.8 all the way out. It's not super flat. It has some shape to them for comfort. I personally love the shape of them. I think their perfect. And I'm glad to see an alloy option now.

Did i clear things up?

sales guy
01-28-2017, 08:19 PM
how wide are those bars?

Which ones? The Alloy Road bars are a 42cm center to center. Not sure on the Gravel Flare bars. I will measure them and give weights tomorrow.

bicycletricycle
01-28-2017, 08:22 PM
The new post is forged and then machined. The old posts are extruded then machined. Also it's doubtful they'll do a masterpiece edition in the new 25mm head one. When they do the masterpiece they broach the insides from the top and bottom to make it lighter. They wouldn't be able to do the top on the new post. So it wouldn't be worth it. But you never know. They might do it.

ETA on setback post?

sales guy
01-28-2017, 08:38 PM
ETA on setback post?

I was told early summer.

teleguy57
01-28-2017, 08:54 PM
@sales guy -- very helpful! Thanks so much.

I actually wrestled with/waffled between the road and KFC shapes, and decided on the KFC for um, gosh, I don't think I remember my thought process any more:) But I do like the KFC -- and have wondered if I'd like the bit more drop in the roads as well as the shaped tops.

Knowing there's an alloy in the road shape is a great piece of news. Looking forward to trying that one at a reasonable price (at least compared to carbon).

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop on the early scoop to which you're privy! Great example of the value of this forum and quality members like you.

sales guy
01-28-2017, 09:14 PM
@sales guy -- very helpful! Thanks so much.

I actually wrestled with/waffled between the road and KFC shapes, and decided on the KFC for um, gosh, I don't think I remember my thought process any more:) But I do like the KFC -- and have wondered if I'd like the bit more drop in the roads as well as the shaped tops.

Knowing there's an alloy in the road shape is a great piece of news. Looking forward to trying that one at a reasonable price (at least compared to carbon).

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop on the early scoop to which you're privy! Great example of the value of this forum and quality members like you.

No worries. I don't mind sharing cool stuff.

The KFC is really nice. The road has a deeper drop than the KFC.
Here is the info off the Thomson site:

Reach for the Road bike and ‘Cross bars is the same at 78.5mm. Drop is proportional. The road drops are: 40CM 137mm, 42CM 140mm, 44CM 140mm, and 46CM 143mm. The ‘cross drops are: 40CM 131mm, 42CM 133mm, and 44CM 135mm.

From what I've heard, the Alloy bars are going to be around $140 to $150 retail. Which is decent. VS the $250 for the carbons. So they will do well for sure.

djdj
01-29-2017, 08:15 AM
I love Thomson, but >$100 for alloy bars seems way too much unless the bars somehow are much lighter than competitor bars. There are many alloy bars with the same shape in the 250-260 gram range that are much cheaper.

sales guy
01-29-2017, 09:11 AM
I love Thomson, but >$100 for alloy bars seems way too much unless the bars somehow are much lighter than competitor bars. There are many alloy bars with the same shape in the 250-260 gram range that are much cheaper.

Since the ones I have are in plastic and not in real bags, I don't know if they're made in the states or not. Who knows. They have the capabilities to do them in house. They were planning on shifting the carbon bars over to the US. Not sure if they have or not. $140-$150 is a bit high. But that was what was listed on a website. Not sure what the final will be till their out.

sales guy
01-30-2017, 10:44 AM
To those who asked, here are the weights for the new stuff:

Alloy Road bar--- 241 grams
31.8mm x 42.0cm center to center

Alloy Gravel bar--- 274 grams
31.8mm x 44.0cm center to center which is really 55.5cm center to center on the flares.

Masterpiece Carbon--- 208 grams
31.6mm x 350mm long

Masterpiece Alloy--- 208 grams
31.6mm x 350mm long
used for comparison.

panache_mode
01-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I have the Deda Zero 100 bars and love them cause of the shape. That shape we used at Thomson for the road bar(back when I worked there). The shape is smooth and easy on hands, wrists and arms. It a wonderful shape. And yep, the RHM is essentially on the new alloys as is on the carbons.

For the 25mm setback post, it is built into the head. Personally, I think it looks like garbage. But that's just me. So they will have 3 posts eventually in alloy. In carbon they will only have the straight at least for some time.

This looks almost as bad as the crank that they prototyped.https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/27/eb14-single-speed-kit-in-a-box-with-thomsons-crate-motor-thomson-ti-bikes-more/

sales guy
01-30-2017, 12:11 PM
This looks almost as bad as the crank that they prototyped.https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/27/eb14-single-speed-kit-in-a-box-with-thomsons-crate-motor-thomson-ti-bikes-more/

What looks almost as bad? The offset seatpost?
I kind of agree on that.

The final designs for crank, cogs and hubs were supposed to be made by Profile in Florida. They had some great prototypes made. But he ones in the BikeRumor piece, those hubs were I9 and the crank was generic from Asia- Miranda. Never liked it. Not sure if they are going to do the drivetrain or not now.

panache_mode
01-30-2017, 12:22 PM
What looks almost as bad? The offset seatpost?

I kind of agree on that.

The final designs for crank, cogs and hubs were supposed to be made by Profile in Florida. They had some great prototypes made. But he ones in the BikeRumor piece, those hubs were I9 and the crank was generic from Asia- Miranda. Never liked it. Not sure if they are going to do the drivetrain or not now.

Yea in regards to the setback seatpost not the most elegant looking.

I think they should just stick to what they know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk