PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex observation

Tickdoc
01-28-2017, 08:52 AM
I just mounted a new veloflex master on my colnago after a nasty gash split my old one and I noticed the script is now printed on both sides of the tread?

I love these tires. My favorite clincher by far. They seem to roll fast, are grippy, and plush soft like tubs. Master 25's, latex tubes, and neutron wheels are what I consider the holy trinity of living the good life with clinchers.

I hate to admit I also loved the quirky location of the label on the non-drive side. I felt like I had the inside scoop, paid attention the the little arrow, or was in the know for why it was done that way.

Stupid, I know.

Guess I can't call people out who have theirs mounted backwards anymore.

I need to get a life.

Black Dog
01-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Haha. Tread direction on a road tire is marketing. For that matter tread itself is really more decrative because it is not actually functional. Now, if you mount them inside out. :D

MattTuck
01-28-2017, 09:44 AM
The roads I ride are pretty rough, with a fair amount of dirt mixed in. I need a tire that can do it all, and I've been hesitant to try out the veloflex.

I see they have a new tubular called the vlaaderen, which claims to be a 27, a little beefier and claimed to be designed for rough roads. If that came in a clincher format, I think I'd give it a shot.

merckx
01-28-2017, 09:47 AM
I'll add my interest in a clincher Vlaaderen.

MattTuck
01-28-2017, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure if there is a translation issue going on... but the Vlaaderen that they list on their site, actually has the n in it when you click on the picture. Vlaanderen. Ok... cool. Except the title of the product page is called Roubaix Tubular, and the description of the tire also includes the word Roubaix, but the picture shows clearly Vlaanderen.

So, whatever this tire is actually called, I'm interested in the clincher version. :)

stephenmarklay
01-28-2017, 10:12 AM
I need to get another set of them. I like them as well. I am riding GP4000s now and they are really hard to argue against and test say they are fast. But the veloflex does have IT when it comes to ride.

teleguy57
01-28-2017, 06:56 PM
I have the tubs hanging in the basement since last fall while I decide what wheels they'll go on -- which may be determined more by what tires wear out first.

On the tubular size the Vlaanderen is nominally 27mm; I measured mine at 26.5 on a stretching rim but they may expand to 27mm. The Roubaix appears to be a nominal 25mm in the same design with a slightly different tread.

Looks like 25mm is the largest clincher right now.

Sure like the VFlex ride, and I'm a sucker for tan sidewalls.

rwsaunders
01-28-2017, 07:49 PM
The Veloflex Roubaix has been the most reliable and most comfortable tire that I have ever ridden, clincher or tubular. I'd like to try the Vlaanderen at some point.

weisan
01-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Rode on the Veloflex Master today with the Merckx.

If this is the only tire I ever get to ride for the rest of my life, I won't be disappointed.

:D

Tandem Rider
01-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Haha. Tread direction on a road tire is marketing. For that matter tread itself is really more decrative because it is not actually functional. Now, if you mount them inside out. :D

What if you put them inside another tire??:D

fignon's barber
01-29-2017, 08:18 AM
So, whatever this tire is actually called, I'm interested in the clincher version. :)

I emailed Veloflex in Italy about year ago asking if they would be making the Vlaanderen 27mm in clincher form. They responded that "we will absolutely never make a 27mm clincher in any model".

I would settle for a Veloflex 25mm clincher that is actually 25mm, not the current 23mm's labeled 25mm:rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
01-30-2017, 06:02 AM
I emailed Veloflex in Italy about year ago asking if they would be making the Vlaanderen 27mm in clincher form. They responded that "we will absolutely never make a 27mm clincher in any model".

I would settle for a Veloflex 25mm clincher that is actually 25mm, not the current 23mm's labeled 25mm:rolleyes:

Funny..

I like 'em and as a tubie only rider, wish they weren't SOOO expensive. Very nice tires but not twice the tire of a Vittoria Corsa Elite. IMHO, of course.

stephenmarklay
01-30-2017, 06:18 AM

Wow that is interesting and a strange corner to back into :confused:

However, the plushness of the 25 (23-24 actual) does not really give much to my wider 25 Gp4000.

fignon's barber
01-30-2017, 06:45 AM
However, the plushness of the 25 (23-24 actual) does not really give much to my wider 25 Gp4000.

True. The only noticeable difference is in cornering. In race situation cornering, the wider tire is definitely more sure footed.

stephenmarklay
01-30-2017, 07:15 AM
True. The only noticeable difference is in cornering. In race situation cornering, the wider tire is definitely more sure footed.

That make sense. I do know that with the super soft casing of the veloflex I will get some sloppiness if I don’t have them inflated enough as well. Still a great tire.

fignon's barber
01-30-2017, 07:39 AM
That make sense. I do know that with the super soft casing of the veloflex I will get some sloppiness if I don’t have them inflated enough as well. Still a great tire.

Yes, to me, the veloflex corsa or master at a real 25mm would be the perfect tire. About 3 years ago I started tracking miles on both veloflex corsa/master and vittoria corsa. For some reason, the veloflex lasted almost twice as long before needing to be replaced when compared to vittoria.
As for width, I compared overall width of a veloflex 25mm with a new vittoria G+ 25mm by laying flat and measuring bead to bead. The Vittoria was 6mm wider. That's quite a difference.

Tickdoc
01-30-2017, 07:46 AM
Yes, to me, the veloflex corsa or master at a real 25mm would be the perfect tire. About 3 years ago I started tracking miles on both veloflex corsa/master and vittoria corsa. For some reason, the veloflex lasted almost twice as long before needing to be replaced when compared to vittoria.
As for width, I compared overall width of a veloflex 25mm with a new vittoria G+ 25mm by laying flat and measuring bead to bead. The Vittoria was 6mm wider. That's quite a difference.

I agree. New corsa is a fast tire, but I have had some cornering issues with it, where the v lofted ( or old corsa tread pattern for that matter) sticks better in corners.

stephenmarklay
01-30-2017, 08:50 AM

I have had decent wear on the Veloflex too. I like the old corsa as well but I was never impressed by the wear either. I think I have a new set that I may put up on the block to get some $ and get some nice tan wall veloflex :)

Mark McM
01-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Do you mean like the Vittoria Revo.kxs reversible tire, which had dual treads - one one each side of the tire casing?

http://www.gommeblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Revo-KXS.jpg

http://www.gommeblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/vittoria-290-tpi.jpg

Truly a brilliant idea! Two different treads, to handle any condition!

I wonder if they expected you to stop and reverse your tires when the road conditions changes.

kansukee
01-30-2017, 01:46 PM
I have been riding Arenberg and Carbon tubs for the last 3 years. Best tires ever.

ojingoh
01-30-2017, 03:23 PM
It's a super plush ride though, no doubt, far nicer than my regular Michelin trainers.

However it's a short ride, so that's $45-60 a month for the plushness. I do weigh a lot, around 95kg in the summer. Mine started getting a lot of flats/ wore out on the mean streets of Seattle in a month of summer riding, less than 500 miles.