PDA

View Full Version : Brooks saddle warranty/reliability

d_douglas
08-03-2006, 08:58 AM
My wife's Brooks saddle on her Gary Fisher Klunker has taken a turn for the worse. I noticed while behind her that one side of the saddle is slightly bent. It looks to me as though the rails have deformed and thus, the left side is lower than the right side. I am not sure of the model, but it is a relatively basic one, as the bike was not expensive in the first place.

My wife is a full-sized beauty - that said, it seems strange to me that a rarely (maybe 300km) used saddle by a reputable maker could bend like this under a resonably sized person. She has never crashed and it has never been dropped. Do you think this warrants taking this to a Brooks dealer in order to make a claim?

I bought the bike in MINT condition from a collector, so I do not have the original purchase receipt, but it was essentially new when we got it and Anne-Lise has ridden it to and from work and on a few recreational rides for the past 6 months.

What's your opinion: does this justify asking for a replacement saddle? I am in Switzerland now and the bike was purchased in Canada. Does this make a difference? Is Brooks good about warranties?

Thanks for your reply,

Darren

dave thompson
08-03-2006, 09:29 AM
My wife's Brooks saddle on her Gary Fisher Klunker has taken a turn for the worse. I noticed while behind her that one side of the saddle is slightly bent. It looks to me as though the rails have deformed and thus, the left side is lower than the right side. I am not sure of the model, but it is a relatively basic one, as the bike was not expensive in the first place.

My wife is a full-sized beauty - that said, it seems strange to me that a rarely (maybe 300km) used saddle by a reputable maker could bend like this under a resonably sized person. She has never crashed and it has never been dropped. Do you think this warrants taking this to a Brooks dealer in order to make a claim?

I bought the bike in MINT condition from a collector, so I do not have the original purchase receipt, but it was essentially new when we got it and Anne-Lise has ridden it to and from work and on a few recreational rides for the past 6 months.

What's your opinion: does this justify asking for a replacement saddle? I am in Switzerland now and the bike was purchased in Canada. Does this make a difference? Is Brooks good about warranties?

Thanks for your reply,

Darren
So, let me get this correct; you bought a used bike (in mint condition) of unstated age and unknown mileage, equipped with a Brooks saddle that may, or may not, be of the same age and mileage, have no original receipts for any of this and now you want to file a warranty claim?

(Brooks Warranty: "Prior to sending us your warranty claims we kindly ask you to address your request directly to the dealer with whom you had purchased the product.
Your dealer should take care of your claim by sending the defected product back to Brooks England Ltd through its wholesaler, and substituting it with a new product, if proof of purchase shows that the item is less than 2 years old.")

All of that said (a mild rebuke) I'm a 200# Brooks lover (all my bikes are equipped with Brooks) and I've never had any sort of structural problems with the saddles.

You could try taking the saddle to a dealer where you are and see what happens.

d_douglas
08-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi Dave - that's correct. Now I feel like an idiot.

You have, in your wisdom of using the internet for good (and not evil), found what I should have looked for. This saddle is ten years old this year, I believe, so it is wayyyy beyond any two year warranty. But in truth, it was shiny, new in the shop looking when I bought it from a collector. The white powdery stuff was still on the tires when I bought it. If it had been ridden, it was around the block for 10 minutes.

I guess what I need to do next is buy my lady a new saddle.

SO, what do I buy? She wants a comfy saddle that looks nice. Should I buy another Brooks? Will it break/deform? No one can answer that, I know, so does anyone have any suggestions as to options for high quality, stylish, very comfortable, hopefully retro saddles for women?

Thanks!

dave thompson
08-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Brooks makes a pretty comprehensive range of saddles for women. If the Brooks you have now is truly defective, I wouldn't let that dissuade you from considering another one if your sweetie liked the original one.

There are more than a few 'large' guys on this forum (SoCalSteve comes to mind for one) who ride Brooks and have no problems with them. Brooks has been around for over 100 years and the reason, I suspect, is because they make something useful and well.

alancw3
08-03-2006, 10:12 AM
having been into vintage bikes for a number of years, if i recall correctly brooks saddle was purchased by one of the more modern saddle companies a number of years ago. the name stella italia comes to mind but that is purely a guess at this point. anyway i think the resurgence in popularity of brooks saddles is in part because of the marketing clout of the acquiring company. that being said i am not sure if the quality has suffered or lmay have even improved. usually with a big company acquirer at least warranties seem to be honored.

check out sheldon brown's harris cyclery website. they have a jpretty good description of brooks saddles and even some women specific models.

SoCalSteve
08-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Brooks makes a pretty comprehensive range of saddles for women. If the Brooks you have now is truly defective, I wouldn't let that dissuade you from considering another one if your sweetie liked the original one.

There are more than a few 'large' guys on this forum (SoCalSteve comes to mind for one) who ride Brooks and have no problems with them. Brooks has been around for over 100 years and the reason, I suspect, is because they make something useful and well.

I resemble that remark!

Actually, I am down almost 30 pounds and loving every minute of it!

I still love all (4) of my Brooks B-17's and would never consider using anything else. As for durability, with my 6' 5" 240 pound a$$ under them, nary a problem...

Steve

d_douglas
08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I had a look at the seat tonight, as she called to say it broke. She was right: the rail on the left hand side is severed! It broke right at the point of clamping on the post, which now leads me to believe that the seatpost clamped was overtightened. I didn't adjust it when I received it, so perhaps the original owner was a bit zealous in his attempt to make sure that baby didn't rotate.

Anyways, the saddle is officially garbage and she is sad, as it is a gorgeous honey-coloured one and virtually new! Damn.

I will check out the Sheldon Brown site.

DD

SoCalSteve
08-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Or, check out:

www.wallbike.com

He has a great selection of Brooks saddles and gear.

Good luck,

Steve

Needs Help
08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
I guess what I need to do next is buy my lady a new saddle.

SO, what do I buy? She wants a comfy saddle that looks nice.
The exact same saddle, of course. Otherwise, break out your wallet and be prepared to buy a half a dozen or so before you find one that doesn't cause excruciating pain.

Ahneida Ride
08-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Without my Books, I'd give up riding.
and Uncle William would have a nice Legend

shoe
08-04-2006, 12:45 AM
wallbikes is a good place to support since he was out of his shop for awhile due to the new orleans flood. seems like a good guy with a good rep. if your baby doesn't like it you can send it back as well. i think there is a new womens saddle out with some ornate design work on it. pure pimp for your baby...good luck in your quest...dave

Needs Help
08-04-2006, 03:49 AM
How is lickbike.com able to sell a Brooks Swift for $160:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='0912-00'

when Wallbikes charges $215:

http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/standardsaddles.html#swift

Also, is the Brooks warranty listed somewhere on the Brooks website?

dave thompson
08-04-2006, 08:15 AM
.........Also, is the Brooks warranty listed somewhere on the Brooks website?
I couldn't find anything regarding the warranty, except this: http://www.brooksengland.com/brooksengland.html (click on warranty claim) on the Brooks England website, but it does tell you what the warranty is and how to file a claim.

Smiley
08-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Hey DT if your on the brooks england site , did you see my testimony letter to them ? just curious :)

Smiley
08-04-2006, 08:23 AM
How is lickbike.com able to sell a Brooks Swift for $160:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='0912-00'

when Wallbikes charges $215:

http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/standardsaddles.html#swift

Also, is the Brooks warranty listed somewhere on the Brooks website?
Lickbike wont give you a 6 month return policy . I like Wall bike because of this especially for clients new to the Brooks saddle . If you already know what Brooks will work for you then shop around for a better deal . I think aebike has good prices on the Brooks too .

dave thompson
08-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey DT if your on the brooks england site , did you see my testimony letter to them ? just curious :)
I did!

For those who didn't, go to http://www.brooksengland.com/brooksengland.html then to 'People and their stories' and you'll find Smiley on page 4.

Ahneida Ride
08-04-2006, 10:05 AM
anybody see my bike on Wallbike ? Right Here (http://www.wallbike.com/Berthoud/smallsaddlebag.html)

Hey Smiley :D :p :p ;)

Smiley
08-04-2006, 10:32 AM
anybody see my bike on Wallbike ? Right Here (http://www.wallbike.com/Berthoud/smallsaddlebag.html)

Hey Smiley :D :p :p ;)
what are u hauling gold in lieu of them fed notes in that bag :)

I miss u big guy but we ride together soon and i will bring my fed buddy Fly to drink with u Smiley