PDA

View Full Version : Using clip on aero bars to KOM strava segments?

mtechnica
01-27-2017, 01:24 PM
The thought has occurred to me. Is it cheating? Frowned upon? Fair game? Petty? A great idea? Sad? What do you think?

Bwana
01-27-2017, 01:30 PM
People do segments on tri/TT bikes, do whatever you want!

When I was riding with them to practice for a TT, I put (aerobars) after all my training rides so if I looked back, or set a PR, I knew it was with the bars.

mktng
01-27-2017, 01:32 PM
People dope to KOM. Don't think clip on aero bars are that bad . ahah

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MattTuck
I prefer these. they're patented. (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7055178.pdf)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1602/1979/1600/Glove.jpg

They're more convenient than full clip on aero bars. :help:

sandyrs
No more or less lame than trying to KOM a Strava segment in general. Take that as you will.

Louis
01-27-2017, 01:35 PM
Go for it:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/jDAAAOSwy4hUR6Kf/$_35.JPG?set_id=2

echappist
01-27-2017, 01:41 PM
They're more convenient than full clip on aero bars. :help:[/QUOTE]

The thought has occurred to me. Is it cheating? Frowned upon? Fair game? Petty? A great idea? Sad? What do you think?

i'm fine with wind assistance, vehicle drafting, group rides, motor pacing, TT bikes, aero positions. Once the bike has electrical assistance is when i consider it "cheating"

so TT bike and aero positions are perfectly fine

[QUOTE=MattTuck;2115613]I prefer these. they're patented. (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7055178.pdf)

that's gotta be pretty dangerous trying to disengage.

shelf liners on aero foil-shaped bar top section is the way to go for IAB

Last year, I did this in quite a few breaks that stayed away. obviously, i also use this position to snipe KOMs from time to time

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FdC1yIR3koYGJUdX0jmo_mha9HKlUfXHxCbY7O2lDst_mGs9pm _7p70U8m8cXZoLWbOSbN2usjaVEZomZ34GptmyN5nM5VO6qV3Q bpA5dIrnrJEc9dOpRyU3QVb9knmMKxiehpdhipCDCpBH9eBDAV tglwJnlQl4YOuFqxOnZcwre75P9tsujfbREGZHTbYn-9XuRpL3hoQW6fZGRwp4MfMRxpQZNLAbASSmZEQ3iNy5Ufh5O_0 Y7cId6xZTvqN3pSJNsk-2dda8SXVEGI20oE55VQ8Jpf0HGM0l3otp4vHHS7zCMhlcIti9G rNvyK9RGn0wYWJerhH4lBRDDXJC9p1Gv97pHqZSIZmwSkYTzMs 5RS6bR4chMb8IZYYKetgrJQSdAS5xNhYVvB1JAdVCYUqox9TJS e9R9-QFDnHv3B2wZYuB_990AGvDnkUw-IxxWxCtdsJhQfDC7QNqjhKOaX9ELPxHUJFfVr4mrRdHRvOaUUj--DFnj7p8E598h8rklf26em9GA_kqJ_8U2iuF0R3zShMJyc-J1rjvmnFRl94AbrOEzTi2UBYMLda-nY-A0Hzt3Cw7SQVs7AdjTy0bPrGCO8HNcpqADK3hAbCz_5pK-zRD4GnQ=w640-h400-no

berserk87
01-27-2017, 01:47 PM
We have local schmoes who ride with full-on TT bikes (yes, the helmet, rear disc and front aero wheel) and segment hunt. One guy on my club is infamous for waiting for the windiest day possible (30+mph winds in some instances) to segment hunt the tailwind stretches.

I hear locals beefing about segments often enough. Some of them are held by guys that frankly are not overly (naturally) talented, fit, or motivated to work hard at the sport. Some guys will hit a home run on windy days. Many more are nestled into a group, hanging on for dear life, and get "credit" for riding faster than they otherwise could. If that can happen, I'm not sure why the addition of aero bars to a solo effort would bother someone.

Some of the types mentioned kinda talk smack about owning certain segments. Two of these guys also do our local TT series. I don't have the heart to mention that I usually beat them by about 8 minutes apiece on our 40K course.

It's hard for me to take the segment thing seriously. I don't use Strava, and if it provides some fun and motivation for others, then I am glad to hear it. More folks having fun on their bikes make the world a better place.

If it's all about fun competition and motivation, then great, as stated. I hope that folks don't get too bent out of shape about this kind of stuff, but it seems like they often do.

Jgrooms
01-27-2017, 01:56 PM
We have local schmoes who ride with full-on TT bikes (yes, the helmet, rear disc and front aero wheel) and segment hunt. One guy on my club is infamous for waiting for the windiest day possible (30+mph winds in some instances) to segment hunt the tailwind stretches.

I hear locals beefing about segments often enough. Some of them are held by guys that frankly are not overly (naturally) talented, fit, or motivated to work hard at the sport. Some guys will hit a home run on windy days. Many more are nestled into a group, hanging on for dear life, and get "credit" for riding faster than they otherwise could. If that can happen, I'm not sure why the addition of aero bars to a solo effort would bother someone.

Some of the types mentioned kinda talk smack about owning certain segments. Two of these guys also do our local TT series. I don't have the heart to mention that I usually beat them by about 8 minutes apiece on our 40K course.

It's hard for me to take the segment thing seriously. I don't use Strava, and if it provides some fun and motivation for others, then I am glad to hear it. More folks having fun on their bikes make the world a better place.

If it's all about fun competition and motivation, then great, as stated. I hope that folks don't get too bent out of shape about this kind of stuff, but it seems like they often do.

Including yourself? Shmoes, bent, beefing, talking smack... :-) Of course you're not on Strava, being motivated, hard working & 8 min faster... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgrooms
01-27-2017, 01:58 PM

Go ride your bike.

MattTuck
01-27-2017, 02:05 PM
No more or less lame than trying to KOM a Strava segment in general. Take that as you will.

The next time I see you get a PR on your commute, I'm totally flagging that activity. :beer:

sandyrs
01-27-2017, 02:10 PM
The next time I see you get a PR on your commute, I'm totally flagging that activity. :beer:

:)

jruhlen1980
01-27-2017, 02:23 PM
Go ride your bike.

:beer:

CampyorBust
01-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Totally fair! Go for it I say. Hey if Strava glory is desired try some stretches and invest in a better tuck position. Despite my gut I can get pretty pretty low like Cav. That is why I am fast for very short periods of time, at least thats what I keep tellin myself. Can stand aero bars on drop bars, and for some reason I sometimes descend faster on a quill stem bike. :confused:

jimwhimpey
01-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Totally fair.

Only disqualifies are: doping, motor pacing or bike motors.

Luwabra
01-27-2017, 04:42 PM
I like strava for looking at the maps and sharing rides w friends. The segments are so stupid. Go out fully recovered and kill a segment with the wind. Lame. I consider it a successful ride if I never enter a segment.. I live in a rural area so it's easier than most just stay off the hard surfaces

To answer your question use aero and wind and set records

mtechnica
01-27-2017, 05:08 PM
I think I'm going to try it this year. I know strava isn't racing (I will be racing too though), and clip on aero bars look stupid, but sadly I think it would amuse me to be able to go ~2 MPH faster and have a shot at taking segments (especially from this one guy :rolleyes:;)). I can do the invisible aero bars thing but after about 5 minutes it gets pretty uncomfortable. Even just pads on the bars might be enough without the sticks or whatever you call them coming out the front. I would need to be able to ride in the aero position for 30-45 minutes at a time for it to do much good probably.

At any rate I think I'd be willing to try that before getting an aero helmet or other accessories however it's tempting to get an aero helmet or at least a semi aerodynamic helmet since objectively speaking it's free speed.

Another thing, this guy at work told me he has a seatpost that is like a dropper post, except it changes the setback so you can get farther forward for the aero bars. I don't want one but I've never heard of one and it sounded like an interesting idea.

R3awak3n
01-27-2017, 05:36 PM
not cheating in my eyes but a huge waste of time

berserk87
01-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Including yourself? Shmoes, bent, beefing, talking smack... :-) Of course you're not on Strava, being motivated, hard working & 8 min faster... :-)

Are you trying to be insulting? What are you trying to accomplish with your comment, other than being rude?

You might ask the mods to move your comment to the passive-aggressive forum, Mr. Homemade Emoticon.

Jgrooms
01-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Are you trying to be insulting? What are you trying to accomplish with your comment, other than being rude?

You might ask the mods to move your comment to the passive-aggressive forum, Mr. Homemade Emoticon.

You don't care, don't do Strava, but have a list of names & derogatory assumptions for those that do. I'm not being rude, just pointing out the obvious inconsistencies. Passive - aggressive? Well Mr Pot, say hello to the black kettle...✌️

Mzilliox
01-28-2017, 09:35 AM

perfectly said, do you really care what kids are comparing at the water fountain these days?

ptourkin
01-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Is the grumpy objection to Strava segments the technology or the social aspect? What's the difference between timing yourself on your daily loop and having that timing done for you via technology? Times change. Clearly a lot of people like to see how they fare on their favorite climb in comparison to others.

I promise not to do it on your lawn :banana:

I put the bars on about six weeks before my yearly 500 mile race. There are a few segments that I PR during that time with only a mild power increase.

Ronsonic
01-28-2017, 08:15 PM
Completely owned that sucka when I threw my broke bike into the back of a park ranger's pickup truck.

timnem70
01-28-2017, 09:34 PM
If you can stay at an aero position while tackling a true Elevation gain KOM segment you are a beast anyway. Leave the clippies in the garage. I see folks come here to Colorado with those and try that crap. They end up looking ridiculous. It's one big reason that most bike fits are an H2 and not an H1 fit. It's really hard to breath anyway, crouched, harder still.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

false_Aest
01-28-2017, 09:47 PM

You've got too much time on your hands.

Wayne77
01-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Going for KOMs represents .0000001% of what I love about Strava. I really do love Strava... just love the social connection with all my riding friends, ra-ra "you killed it" positive vibes and most of all the workout tracking, analysis, and fly-bys. LOVE the flybys for post race re-plays. But if indeed KOMs are someone's focus more power to 'em...hook up a motor, get doped to the gills, go crazy with the clip ons and aero fairing, and let 'er rip. Or just create your own segment and get KOMs riding down the length of your driveway.

Macadamia
01-29-2017, 09:17 AM
I have a single kom, but it's shared with a guy on a recumbent. Same time but his heart rate average is like 40 bpm lower.

~florida~

ptourkin
01-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Some segments are less aero than others (trigger warning, sensitive Republican snowflakes should not click) https://www.strava.com/segments/14058783

mtechnica
01-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Some segments are less aero than others (trigger warning, sensitive Republican snowflakes should not click) https://www.strava.com/segments/14058783

Now that's a KOM to be proud of! :beer:

mcfarton
01-29-2017, 08:38 PM
That is funny

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

bigbill
01-29-2017, 10:00 PM
I've got several KOMs around here. There aren't that many riders and if I was in a larger area with more riders, it's likely I wouldn't have them. But, they were all solo, no groups or pacelines. I don't use aero bars but that's a personal choice, many riders around here do and it's sketchy and the main reason most of my rides are solo. One local took a KOM from me after he got his wife to drop him off south of town so he could ride with a tailwind the whole way, segment showed it and everything. I took it back but it hurt.

zank
01-30-2017, 05:23 AM
I only care about the mtb segments, so I think clipons would be more dangerous than anything else. Ever try manualling out on clipons?

Ronsonic
01-31-2017, 10:09 PM
What I learned from Strava is that I am an absolutely middle of the pack rider. Which at my age I'm considering pretty okay.

BLD 25
02-01-2017, 09:56 AM
I think it has to be each to their own and people need to not judge too much.

I love strava, and I have quite a few KOMs. I have a family, I am a teacher and coach, and I don't have tons of time and money to race all the time. I actually only do a few races a year. Strava gets me competitive and something to shoot for. I can compete against others, but also against myself. I used to feel there were unwritten rules surrounding wind, packs, aero bars, etc, but that seems to have fallen away. We also have a local guy who I affectionately(kind of ) refer to as the "wind king." He has taken a couple flat land KOMs on days with 30ish MPH tailwinds. As a track coach, that 100m dash record wouldn't count, so I feel that is the same for Strava. But not everyone plays by those rules. Of course, it is smart to go out and do a flat segment when you have wind in your favor, but that kind of wind is crazy.

The aero bar thing is hard too. I have one flat segment that I have the KOM, and I would be ticked if someone used aero bars to take it. However, where do we draw the line? Aero frame? Skinsuit? Wheels? Many people ride all the time on aero wheels, so it is hard to draw the line.

We had a guy come in from out of town on a TT bike and take a few flatland segments, and I just think that was in poor taste. I don't have too much problem using my TT bars on those segments.

echappist
02-01-2017, 10:12 AM
I think it has to be each to their own and people need to not judge too much.

I love strava, and I have quite a few KOMs. I have a family, I am a teacher and coach, and I don't have tons of time and money to race all the time. I actually only do a few races a year. Strava gets me competitive and something to shoot for. I can compete against others, but also against myself. I used to feel there were unwritten rules surrounding wind, packs, aero bars, etc, but that seems to have fallen away. We also have a local guy who I affectionately(kind of ) refer to as the "wind king." He has taken a couple flat land KOMs on days with 30ish MPH tailwinds. As a track coach, that 100m dash record wouldn't count, so I feel that is the same for Strava. But not everyone plays by those rules. Of course, it is smart to go out and do a flat segment when you have wind in your favor, but that kind of wind is crazy.

The aero bar thing is hard too. I have one flat segment that I have the KOM, and I would be ticked if someone used aero bars to take it. However, where do we draw the line? Aero frame? Skinsuit? Wheels? Many people ride all the time on aero wheels, so it is hard to draw the line.

We had a guy come in from out of town on a TT bike and take a few flatland segments, and I just think that was in poor taste. I don't have too much problem using my TT bars on those segments.

there's enough judgment in that last paragraph, on its own; quite contradictory to boot

Idris Icabod
02-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I prefer these. they're patented. (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7055178.pdf)

They're more convenient than full clip on aero bars. :help:

Use away, the patent expired in 2010 for non-payment of maintenance fees.

BLD 25
02-01-2017, 10:38 AM
there's enough judgment in that last paragraph, on its own; quite contradictory to boot

Ha! I suppose my judgement comment was directed at the people who were like, "I can't stand strava," or "strava is stupid," etc. Not against the people who were cheating on strava segments. Thanks for throwing me under the bus! :) :banana:

BSBD
02-01-2017, 11:24 AM
KOMs should have a mandate to be done only on a 70's era track bike like Eddy. No aero, no groups, etc. :p

mjalder2
02-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Totally fair game, if you're willing to be seen with tri bars.

mjalder2
02-01-2017, 01:14 PM

This is my favorite thing today. Someone buy the KOM and QOM a beer.

unterhausen
02-01-2017, 02:10 PM
back when Strava was fairly new, I was riding with someone that posts on this forum, and he got a couple of kom segments on some gravel roads near here. I would guess those times are now back of the pack.

With all the college-aged cyclists nearby, I am pretty sure that I will never KOM unless cheating is involved. Not even PEDS would get me there

Bob Ross
02-01-2017, 02:13 PM

I love you man! We can hang. :banana: