PDA

View Full Version : Edge 1000 - Auto Pause and Time Elapsed

Splash
01-27-2017, 04:07 AM
I have my edga 1000 on "Auto pause when stopped" feature.

But, every time I stop riding for a bit (like at traffic lights, etc.), the elapsed time does not pause but continues on.

How to enable time elapsed feature actually pauses automatically when I have stopped?

I should not have to tap the screen and manually pause it all the time.

Splash

kramnnim
01-27-2017, 06:20 AM
Are you confusing the "time elapsed" with "time spent riding"? They aren't the same.

happycampyer
01-27-2017, 06:38 AM
I have the Garmin Edge 500, so I'm not sure if the function is the same, but when set to track time elapsed, when I stop, a little window pops up with a "Timer Paused" message, and when I start rolling again a second window pops up with a "Timer Started" message. The timer on the screen continues to count, but at the end of the ride, the recorded time for the ride is shorter.

pinoymamba
01-27-2017, 07:30 AM
Are you confusing the "time elapsed" with "time spent riding"? They aren't the same.

This.

R3awak3n
01-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Yes thats the answer, you nees to change the fields from I think its time elapsed to just time

benb
01-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Did you just get an update? You might be thinking you have Auto Pause set to "When Stopped" but you might not.

3 out of the last 4 software updates that I got on my Edge 1000 have reset my Activity Profiles to "Auto Pause = Never".

shovelhd
01-27-2017, 08:30 AM
If you are tracking power and power based metrics like TSB, TSS etc. you should have auto pause off, otherwise these metrics will be inflated.

benb
01-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Why is that, I don't recall seeing anything about that in the Hunter/Allen book, Training Peaks, Garmin Connect, etc..

When you're stopped you're stopped. You're not accruing any TSS, regardless of whether the clock pauses or not. I do agree if you had excessive pauses it could skew some things. But out on the road real pauses as small as a stop sign/light already mess things up, and TSS/TSB don't seem like the kind of metrics that would be screwed up.

Now setting it to do something like pause when you drop below X mph where X > 0 I can see it really inflating things and messing things up. But stopped is stopped.

edit: Did some googling, Auto Pause behavior depends on the model of PM.. some will send 0 values while the head unit is paused and some don't. Stages doesn't send those 0 values, to me auto pause when totally stopped seems fine, you should not accrue TSS when totally stopped and you won't with a Stages + Edge with Auto Pause on. I suppose it may skew NP but then if you're doing a work interval you shouldn't be stopping!

shovelhd
01-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Because every second of rest should count against elapsed time.

Splash
01-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys

What is the use of "time elapsed" function when riding ?

Splash

shovelhd
01-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Um, elapsed time?

happycampyer
01-28-2017, 08:34 PM
I use it just to cut out the standing time from my ride data. I can see why someone training with power would want to capture all of the ride time to take into account recovery time.

zank
01-29-2017, 10:45 AM
If you are tracking power and power based metrics like TSB, TSS etc. you should have auto pause off, otherwise these metrics will be inflated.

Training peaks and WKO doesn't care how the computer is set up or what data fields are being shown. It makes its calculatuons based on the raw fit file, which keeps actual elapsed time.

zank
01-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Sorry, i need to correct myself because I shouldn't have said it doesn't matter how the computer is set up. It DOES matter how you have data recording set up on your garmin. You should have recording set at 1 sec and not smart recording. But it doesn't matter if you have auto pause on.

shovelhd
01-29-2017, 08:13 PM
Two points. Not everyone uses Training Peaks and/or WKO+, and if you are monitoring these metrics on the Garmin during your ride, won't they be affected?

zank
01-29-2017, 08:41 PM
The Garmin uses the same algorithm, so it will give the same result.