PDA

View Full Version : How do I get data from my stages onto the computer?

mtechnica
01-26-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm trying to find some kind of software that's free and will give me information about my workouts. Strava doesn't really work for indoor training I guess. I've tried golden cheetah but it won't see my stages even though my computer shows it as being connected via Bluetooth. There was some other free program but it was ant+ only and I don't have an ant+ dongle. Any ideas? Do I need an ant+ dongle? Can I use my phone to record data somehow then export it? All of the apps on the phone seem to require a monthly fee though.

Lewis Moon
01-26-2017, 02:20 PM
I'm trying to find some kind of software that's free and will give me information about my workouts. Strava doesn't really work for indoor training I guess. I've tried golden cheetah but it won't see my stages even though my computer shows it as being connected via Bluetooth. There was some other free program but it was ant+ only and I don't have an ant+ dongle. Any ideas? Do I need an ant+ dongle? Can I use my phone to record data somehow then export it? All of the apps on the phone seem to require a monthly fee though.
Golden Cheetah?

stien
01-26-2017, 02:23 PM
ANT+ dongle and the Cheetah should work. Not sure what's up with the Bluetooth not working. I've used the Wahoo app with Kickr and Tickr to record workouts, it would probably take the Stages data over bluetooth. It's a free app.

benb
01-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Most of the phone apps are assuming you sync with a device (like a Garmin) that does the data collection for you.

If you're ever going to use the Stages PM outside you might as well try and get one of those devices.

IIRC there are some devices that do nothing but Ant+ data logging, DC Rainmaker seems to have talked about them. Maybe they are less expensive then a bike computer.

ptourkin
01-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Strava works fine for indoor training. If you haven't turned your GPS off, select indoor trainer workout after you upload your ride. If you have, it's automatic.

mtechnica
01-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Strava works fine for indoor training. If you haven't turned your GPS off, select indoor trainer workout after you upload your ride. If you have, it's automatic.

If I don't have a garmin will strava know I'm using a power meter connected via Bluetooth? I know I eventually need a garmin, but the meter was an unexpected gift and I'm trying to make the most of it for now.

MagicHour
01-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Should be able to pair Stages to either Wahoo Fitness, Strava etc.app on a phone via Bluetooth.
Strava app-hit record, go to settings top left corner>External Sensors
Wahoo Fitness App>Sensors + Add new sensor

If I don't have a garmin will strava know I'm using a power meter connected via Bluetooth? I know I eventually need a garmin, but the meter was an unexpected gift and I'm trying to make the most of it for now.

mtechnica
01-26-2017, 04:03 PM
Should be able to pair Stages to either Wahoo Fitness, Strava etc.app on a phone via Bluetooth.
Strava app-hit record, go to settings top left corner>External Sensors
Wahoo Fitness App>Sensors + Add new sensor

Thanks, I'll try that and see what happens. If I can use strava and Bluetooth until I get a garmin that would be nice. Maybe I'll also order an ant+ dongle and try golden cheetah again because it sounds interesting.

mtechnica
01-26-2017, 04:05 PM

Do I turn gps off in the phones settings or is there somewhere in strava to turn it off?

benb
01-27-2017, 08:23 AM
You might look for another app anyway unless the important thing is the social features of Strava.

Strava is pretty much terrible for doing anything with power and it is fairly weak for recording indoor workouts in general too. You need to pay for it to get a lot of the analysis for power/HR and it's not even accurate, the power meter literally feeds the #s to Strava and yet Strava turns around and does something with them and then shows you bogus numbers. And the numbers don't even agree on the Strava iOS/Android App and the Strava website!

I have no familiarity with Wahoo but if their app can record the time/distancepower/HR #s for you that might well be a lot better than Strava.

fkelly
01-27-2017, 11:40 AM
The Ride with GPS (rwgps) app should do what you want. It uses Bluetooth to communicate between the phone and the stages device.

see:
https://ridewithgps.com/help/compatible-devices

Stages also provides a phone app that you can use in diagnosing any connection problems (also battery power issues, if I recall correctly).

The rwgps app can essentially act as a replacement or alternative to a Garmin to record your rides and upload them to the rwgps site.

mtechnica
01-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll try a few things and see what's working.