PDA

View Full Version : enve 3.4 or bora 35 ?

vqdriver
01-26-2017, 12:02 PM
okay, so i know this is a totally tri-newb line of questioning, but i'm fixated on trying carbon wheels and they're simply too expensive to experiment on my own. plus, despite my limited time on a bike lately, i've caught the upgrade bug again and i know i'll need to eventually scratch the itch anyway.

the parameters are:
full carbon clincher
rim brake
good braking (so enve textured or 3diamant is convincing me to try)
light-ish
not prima-donna fragile
not garishly ugly, preferably removable graphics

considering the above, as well as just history of recalls, qc, etc... i've narrowed it down to the campy bora 35 and the enve ses 3.4 (with the new brake tracks)

i've had a few pairs of campy eurus wheels in the past. they were great up until i busted a spoke on one and it was obscenely expensive to repair and my lbs did not have great response from campy usa. this alone makes me hesitate to go that route again, but they were wonderful while i had them.
the bora's generally good reviews and pricepoint is swaying me in that direction.

never had any enve wheels but there's a part of me that says if i'm going to try carbon, try the best. the ses 3.4 are entrenched among every discussion of the top wheels so it seems the safe bet, altho at twice the price of the boras....

thoughts? experiences with either?

LegendRider
01-26-2017, 12:17 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=198720&highlight=enve+3.4

rePhil
01-26-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm saving my pennies for a pair of Bora 50's

vqdriver
01-26-2017, 12:35 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=198720&highlight=enve+3.4

aaahaha. i finally decide to pull the trigger and someone had the exact question just recently. if course.

since the price/benefit discussion seems to lean heavily toward the boras, does anyone have input re the new enve vs campy brake tracks?

also, are the decals removable on the boras? even the dark labels are a bit large for my taste.

sparky33
01-26-2017, 01:24 PM
aaahaha. i finally decide to pull the trigger and someone had the exact question just recently. if course.

since the price/benefit discussion seems to lean heavily toward the boras, does anyone have input re the new enve vs campy brake tracks?

also, are the decals removable on the boras? even the dark labels are a bit large for my taste.

My Bora Ultra 35 (2016) tubs are great:
Starbike.com prices are great if you don't have to pay VAT.
The decals are not removable on the dark version that I have. They look fine IMO.
The braking is just as good as people say it is, very good and maybe even on par with alloy wheels.
The wheels feel very fast.
The hubs are very smooth and quiet.
They are more durable than I had expected for a featherlight wheelset with goofy lacing.
I demo'd a pair of Zipp 303s and did not like them as much.
I would get a Bora clinchers if I were in the market for a carbon clincher.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/a84e228cc2659f97a8cb6ca469802322.jpg

tuscanyswe
01-26-2017, 01:25 PM

The older version were, i believe 2015< are not.