PDA

View Full Version : Roller / Trainer Workouts

jamiec
01-26-2017, 11:55 AM
I have been riding the rollers a bit more this winter and the workouts I have been doing are getting a bit stale. What have you guys been doing?

I generally ride them for an hour or so a few times a week. I have no real season goals, just trying to be in decent shape for when our group rides start in April.

mktng
01-26-2017, 12:30 PM
HIIT . Last year I did 1 hr a day. During the week and one 2 hr ride on rollers on the weekend. All winter. During the week. I did 30 minute warm ups. 1 min full power. 1 minute rest. Eventually just adding more time to the full power part as the months rolled on. This was done on rollers. By the end of the winter season ..... riding out of saddle. Sprinting in drops. Riding no hands etc etc on rollers seemed to be easy. Was nice to just see that kind of improvement. As for all that riding added up. I had the best season so far in 5 years. More power for sure. More controlled HR in the spirited rides. Also maintained a steady weight throughout winter rolling into the summer months.

Sent from my SM-N900W8. Sorry

john903
01-26-2017, 03:11 PM
I have also started riding rollers again this winter. A friend and I made a trade and now I have a set of Krietler 4.5" rollers. It has been probably 30 years since I have ridden them, but it did not take long to remember how to ride them, hey I only have fallen off twice so far. Anyway in your post you mentioned your not doing anything structured. I would say for me a structured work out yields the best results. There is a plethora of work out plans and you tube videos but here is one example of what I do. Warm up 15 min. Practice no hands, bumping the wall i am against, standing, basically handling skills. Then on the 50 and the middle of the cassette and do 3 min in each gear until i am in the 12. Then I work my way back up the cassette. I try to maintain 100-110 rpm the whole time then a cool down. Other times I will mix up spinning in the 50x21 then drop down to 12 and stand up and sprint for 1min then back down to 21 and spin. Several of those and you won't be thinking "oh I am bored".
I like rollers more then my mag trainer but they both have advantages and negatives. I ride the trainer once a week and the rollers twice a week.

fignon's barber
01-26-2017, 03:18 PM
My 60 minute roller workout has always been kind of standard:

first 30 minutes, small ring spin at 110-120rpm increasing a cog every 5 minutes (39x19 for 5 min, then 39x17 for 5min, then 39x15,etc. down to 39x12).
When you reach 30 minutes, get into 53x11 and do 30 second max effort with 30 second tempo recovery until the clock hits 60 minutes.