PDA

View Full Version : New indoor velodrome in Detroit

fiamme red
01-25-2017, 10:10 AM
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2017/01/24/detroit-breaks-ground-4m-facility-include-indoor-velodrome#.WIjNltQrK9I

stephenmarklay
01-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Super cool. I’m never moving back though.

AngryScientist
01-25-2017, 10:23 AM
wow. surprised they found enough affordable real estate in motor city to build one.

cachagua
01-25-2017, 10:28 AM
What surprises me is that you can build a track of that caliber for as little as $4 million.

That isn't exactly peanuts, but it's much more within reach than I thought such a project would be. Very encouraging.

fiamme red
01-25-2017, 10:34 AM
What surprises me is that you can build a track of that caliber for as little as $4 million.

That isn't exactly peanuts, but it's much more within reach than I thought such a project would be. Very encouraging.A philanthropist offered to donate $50 million to build an indoor velodrome in Brooklyn Bridge Park a few years ago, but the project was scrapped (among other reasons) because that sum wasn't enough to cover the costs. :confused:

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/36/2/all_velodromedead_2013_01_18_bk.html

stephenmarklay
01-25-2017, 10:36 AM
wow. surprised they found enough affordable real estate in motor city to build one.

It’s getting better but they were basically giving away houses there.

MattTuck
01-25-2017, 10:40 AM

That isn't exactly peanuts, but it's much more within reach than I thought such a project would be. Very encouraging.

A philanthropist offered to donate $50 million to build an indoor velodrome in Brooklyn Bridge Park a few years ago, but the project was scrapped (among other reasons) because that sum wasn't enough to cover the costs. :confused:

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/36/2/all_velodromedead_2013_01_18_bk.html

Yeah... my reaction also. $4M is at the EXTREME low end of the cost estimates I've seen for constructing a velodrome, and the story makes it sound like the $4M is building a velodrome AND some other parts of the complex...

The rendering in the story doesn't have any stands, and so maybe that saves some money. But even for a bare bones velodrome, $4M seems pretty cheap.

Likely to see a thread in a year or two, "Detroit Velodrome construction halted as cost overruns mount".

nooneline
01-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Well, exactly what "that caliber" is isn't clear. People always say stuff like "world class" and it's not clear if they're talking about dimensions or design and construction quality. Dale Hughes builds short, inexpensive, moveable tracks with metal skeletons and plywood surfaces that quite frankly are a far cry from high-quality strip-wood tracks, or even concrete ones. "World class" could be marketing/outreach speak, it could mean that the track is 250m, but given the price tag it almost certainly doesn't mean that it's a track comparable to those in Carson and Milton.

zmudshark
01-25-2017, 11:15 AM
More info:

http://detroitfitness.org/

ultraman6970
01-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Wish we had one here damm it!

mjalder2
01-25-2017, 11:28 AM
I was looking around for velodromes, because winter problems, and noticed that there's an old velodrome in DTW that had fallen into disrepair. Really interesting to look at how busted up it was. Seems like it would have been cheaper to refirb that one, but it was outdoors so maybe it wasn't worth it to a place that sees a bunch of snow/ice/lake effect.

fiamme red
01-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Apparently, it's not the first indoor velodrome in Detroit. I found this (http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messages/91697/97286.html?1175958245):

Back in the mid 70’s, Mike Walden built a wooden velodrome that could be trucked wherever. A pal of mine (and his brother) would race on that thing. I was there "support" team. Mikes track boasted the steepest incline and shortest straightaway of any indoor velodrome of the time. This made for a rather challenging track. It was great fun watching the racers doing a "Madison" heat, trying not to collide while handing off the baton. When they would wipe out it was just amazing no one got killed, including the spectators.https://youtu.be/xehtMILzat0?t=54s

torquer
01-25-2017, 12:38 PM
A philanthropist offered to donate $50 million to build an indoor velodrome in Brooklyn Bridge Park a few years ago, but the project was scrapped (among other reasons) because that sum wasn't enough to cover the costs. :confused:
Many factors were at work inflating costs for the Brooklyn project, and two which could account for lower costs for Detroit:

"1/10th mile" track converts to 158 meters, so probably 167 meters (1/6th kilometer). Wasn't that the size of the portable track making the rounds a few years ago?
Inflatable structure, fairly common for sports facilities, is cheaper than a rigid structure, and sometimes working in an existing structure is even more expensive.

These may not make enough difference to reach the $4MM figure, but the Brooklyn project is a poor basis of comparison.

ceolwulf
01-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Wish we could get one in Winnipeg again. But if they did they'd probably cheap out like they did the first time and make it an outdoor track again, which would once again not get enough use to pay for itself (because Winterpeg), then not get funding again, then not get maintained again, and eventually get torn down again in a chorus of I-told-you-so's.

I really think an *indoor* velodrome could do extremely well in Manitoba. The riding outside is not great anyway, and then if you could ride year round, I could see this bringing a lot of new people into the sport.

93legendti
01-25-2017, 02:34 PM
I am surprised since 10 years ago an outdoor velodrome was built about 20 miles away.

The $4 million price tag is only an estimate if the City is involved. I will be shocked if it isn't much higher when it is done.

nooneline
01-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Many factors were at work inflating costs for the Brooklyn project, and two which could account for lower costs for Detroit:

"1/10th mile" track converts to 158 meters, so probably 167 meters (1/6th kilometer). Wasn't that the size of the portable track making the rounds a few years ago?
Inflatable structure, fairly common for sports facilities, is cheaper than a rigid structure, and sometimes working in an existing structure is even more expensive.

These may not make enough difference to reach the $4MM figure, but the Brooklyn project is a poor basis of comparison.

Yeah, it sounds like the Detroit one is going to be tiny, like Cleveland and the CVC.

I've talked to some people who have specced out projects and they talk about costs that rise exponentially (not linearly) as you try to increase the size of an indoor velodrome. Mostly this has to do with having a building without beams in the infield - a track can't be homolugated if officials don't have a 360deg line of sight, and supporting a roof over a 250m track is far, far more expensive than supporting one over a 200 or a 166.

ntb1001
01-25-2017, 05:18 PM

The velodrome recently built in Milton ON for the Pan Am's cost over $50 million.
A much cheaper version was previously done in London ON, but the building was an old OHL hockey rink.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

paredown
01-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Wish we could get one in Winnipeg again. But if they did they'd probably cheap out like they did the first time and make it an outdoor track again, which would once again not get enough use to pay for itself (because Winterpeg), then not get funding again, then not get maintained again, and eventually get torn down again in a chorus of I-told-you-so's.

I really think an *indoor* velodrome could do extremely well in Manitoba. The riding outside is not great anyway, and then if you could ride year round, I could see this bringing a lot of new people into the sport.

Exactly the story for the original China Creek track in Vancouver, built for the British Empire Games in 1954. Fabulous track, 250m/45 deg bankings, beautiful edge laid western yellow cedar.

No roof and a wooden track--***? Anyone forget how often it rains in Vancouver?

Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

At least they were forced to build a replacement after they illegally tore it down...

fiamme red
11-11-2017, 08:33 PM
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2017/11/10/lexus-becomes-naming-sponsor-detroit-indoor-sports-complex-velodrome#.WgeyWtQrK9I

"The Detroit Fitness Foundation has announced that Lexus has paid for naming rights at its indoor multi-sport complex, which includes a 166-meter velodrome. The complex is officially named the Lexus Velodrome and is set to open to the public in January."

zmudshark
01-24-2018, 11:53 AM
Open soon!

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/01/sneak_peak_inside_michigans_fi.html#incart_m-rpt-2

ftf
01-24-2018, 12:06 PM
Open soon!

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/01/sneak_peak_inside_michigans_fi.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Plywood=Disappointment.

Looks ok.

166 meter...... MEH MEH MEH

ultraman6970
01-24-2018, 12:33 PM
They needed to cut costs with a project that who knows if it will work. Is tad longer than the one in London, Canada (138 meters, 50/10 degrees banks). Which probably is the one they took as example.

Canadians in that area gather together and pretty much did it by themselves, the nice about plywood is that is easier to repair, slow? well... not that much IMO but is noisy tho. Canadians put theirs in a hockey field building, I imagine the detriot one rides similar to the canadian one since are quite similar.

At least detroit has a velodrome, here we have jack!

wallymann
01-24-2018, 12:45 PM
x

ntb1001
01-24-2018, 05:24 PM