PDA

View Full Version : Women's Favorite Cycling Clothing?

Ginger
08-02-2006, 05:31 PM
First, I'd like to welcome Daggett to the forum. She'll be riding her new Fierte soon and asked me:

"I'm just starting to cycle seriously. I was wanting to know if you have any favorite...shorts, sports bras, or tops."

So, I gave her my answer:
Shorts: Craft race, Giordana, almost any of them with an eleastic chamois. Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau chamois doesn't fit me, and I'm not impressed with Terry's quality. www.aebike.com usually has decent deals on the Craft.

Sports Bras: I'm not an A cup, so I'm not fond of those things that are supposed to pass as support. I prefer actual wicking sports bras from www.TitleNine.com like their own lace underwire, smoothsport, and ban the bounce bras, and the wired and ready for action bra is good for mountain biking. All of those hold up to machine wash, hang dry and provide plenty of wicking support. Of course, I can't wear them as outerwear like some sport tops...but they get the job done.

Jerseys: I don't buy many anymore that aren't event related, but if I were just buying a jersey I'd make sure it's a women's cut jersey rather than just wearing a small guys jersey, and I like full zips and sleeveless jerseys from Voler and Pearl Izumi. Web sites for women's clothes: www.teamestrogen.com

Shoes: Women specific again. Sidi.

So. Now to throw this open to the forum...keeping this cycling specific, anyone else (or your wives) have any particular favorite cycling clothes suggestions for a beginning rider?

Also, if there's something to avoid. For me, I like Terry shorts, but they only last half the time of other high end shorts in the same rotation...

Smiley
08-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Craft on the shorts M_A and anything Terry on the tops plus my wife is getting stuff from Title 9 sports too , do u want me to tell her about bibs and nips :)

Ginger
08-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Just wear a good sports bra and bib straps won't be noticeable.

Smiley...that's your answer, start wearing sports bras under your bibs.

spiderlake
08-02-2006, 07:26 PM
My wife loves the shorts from Boure (http://www.boure.com/shortswomen.html). She has a couple pairs of the elites and her other shorts (LG and PI) seem to have fallen from favor.

Ti Designs
08-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I know it's a billion degrees out there, but could we extend this discussion to winter clothing? I coach a women's cycling team, they race in March in New England, winter clothing is where it's at. I'll admit to being clueless when it comes to women's clothing, and what I get from forum members is more reliable than what I get from reps selling their lines.

Rapid Tourist
08-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I agree about Craft shorts. Smiley's lovely wife turned me onto them, and they are tops in my book. Pear Izumi gave me some nasty butt scars, but I hate to talk about my butt in public. Don't ask.

As far as winter gear, I've gotten several things from Team estrogen, including gore tex winter jacket/vest that I like a lot.

Also, the boure winter tights are super duper nice and worth the $$$$

Agree that Voler jerseys seem to fit me the best.

Keep the tips coming!

Daggett
08-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks Ginger for starting this thread. I have visited many of the bike stores here in Kansas City and they do not carry many womens items.
It is hard to pick items on the internet from a picture. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

What are your thougths on gloves, shoes, socks. Oh, I need to pick a saddle for my new bike also.

bironi
08-02-2006, 09:17 PM
I am jelous that there is not a similar site for guys like Teamestrogen. As far as I know there isn't a catch-all site for men's cycle clothing that matches the selection of Teamestrogen. That said, it is probably the only advantage that women have over men in the cycling marketplace. Let me know if my perspective is skewed by hormones. :beer:

Byron

dbrown
08-02-2006, 09:21 PM
If there were Team Testosterone jerseys, would they all say Phonak on them?

shoe
08-02-2006, 09:43 PM
my girlfriend has some of the shebeast-or is it shebeest...stuff and it looks nice..does that help. i think the rep gave her some stuff though...dave

Ginger
08-02-2006, 10:02 PM
bironi...what do you mean? Practically EVERY site out there carries male specific stuff. Sure you have to dig around a little, but it is out there! I still dig, for instance, my Craft shorts? cheaper at aebike.com than at teamestrogen, but neither have the Romminger line, I'll have to buy those straight from Craft.

Daggett,

Title Nine and Terry have super return policies and great customer service. I have yet to return anything to Team Estrogen...but I'd say most of the big mail order houses are probably decent. It does take a little trying on to see what brand's cuts look good on you. Much like the shorts...

Oh, and when you try on shorts, get on a bike...they'll feel different!

I have one Bellweather jersey that I bought off a clearance rack 14 years ago that I still wear on a regular basis. It's rather timeless and wellmade. I don't know why you don't see more Bellweather stuff out there (perhaps they're not around?)

Ti:
Winter clothing: Of course, I tend to dress in layers, but I tend to wear one heck of a lot less than a lot of people I ride with.
Base layer: If it's really cold I'll run a filament silk turtle neck, or a wool Icebreaker skin200 tank http://www.icebreaker.com/
Icebreaker's wool is the most wonderful stuff. Everyone should go out and buy themselves at least one piece of the stuff. Spendy, but boy...it is one of the few brands I think is worth the money. Skin is the stuff for baselayer, superfine is nice as well, but heavier. Stands up well to the washer.

Mid Layer: Heavier Polypro long sleeved jersey, sometimes fleece if it's really cold. I'll go with a Pearl Izumi. As much as I dislike their shorts, I like their jerseys. I'm not big on thumb loops, but a hoodie is nice from time to time.

Vest over that. Sometimes a gortex front jacket...After the first two layers I'm sort of ambivelent about the rest, as long as it wicks and breathes, I'm good.

Shorts and Pearl Izumi Amfib tights. I'm looking for winter tights with a pad though, I've got issues. Well...issues with the double layer thing...

Wool socks. Winter sees me pulling out my hiking socks. Waterproof winter boot type cycling shoes. I have a pair of Shimano boots that look like construction worker boots...caulked up the bottom and they're golden.

Moose Mitts on the mountain bike. That way I can throw a chemical heater in there and wear summer weight gloves. I don't think they've figured out Moose Mitts for the road bike yet...

Ginger
08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Daggett,
I like my Sidi women's shoes. I have odd feet, so I'll probably be going custom next year, but my Sidi's have lasted for 5 years of mountain biking and road touring. I use them for both and I run a mountain bike shoe...(I used to wear road shoes..but I don't race...I like to get off the bike and not fall on my rear, so I admit my lack of balance and wear shoes with tread.)

Socks...smartwool. Of course, in high summer temps I'm more likely to wear something from Sockguy...something with flying pigs or flowers on a short cuff...something fun.

Gloves...gloves are personal. I still haven't found a pair that I like since I wore out my ancient Nashbar crochet back gloves. They've changed the pattern and they don't fit as well. I'd go without, but I've taken a digger or two that scuffed up my hand, so I wear gloves.

Saddles are another personal issue. Find a shop with a wide selection of saddles and put them on whatever bike you're riding and take them out for a mile or two. It won't give you an all-day idea of how they ride, but it will give you a general "does it work for me" idea. I think there are a few "saddle fitting" systems out there that could help to narrow the field for you.

Something you will have to figure out is if you like your shorts short or long. I like mine long...that elastic across the middle of my thigh is annoying. They don't make guys' shorts shorter than normal...do they?

Ginger
08-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Pear Izumi gave me some nasty butt scars
So it's not just me...

Someone scolded me for tossing my PI shorts when they had "so much wear left in them." No way am I wearing something that slices like that.

bironi
08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes, many carry male specific cycling gear, but none with the great selection in brands and choice at one site. Belive me, I have done my share of online shopping.

Byron

jel
08-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Team Estrogen's return policy is excellent - always get great service from them. At one time they did have a Team Testosterone jersey, it may still be there. :p Also, they have a forum over there - all kinds of good information for women cyclists, trigeeks etc.

vaxn8r
08-03-2006, 01:20 AM
my girlfriend has some of the shebeast-or is it shebeest...stuff and it looks nice..does that help. i think the rep gave her some stuff though...dave
Ditto. My wife loves the SheBeast jerseys which have a fitted bottom instead of an elastic bottom, which tend to ride up the waist on most women. Smart!

Rapid Tourist
08-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Ginger, I'm so sorry that you shared my fate with PIs. Unfortunately it took me months to figure out why i was so cut up in a most unfortunate place. :butt: Hope you figured it out long before I did!!

One more tip, make sure you buy shorts that fit tightly. If the shorts are a little loose, the padding will shift around while you ride and chafe like heck....making you an unhappy camper.

Ginger
08-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Oh...along that line...

No underwear with bike shorts. That includes thongs.

RT...there are issues, then there are issues. It only happened twice. The first time I was unsure what the heck happened, the second time confirmed. Shorts only get two tries.

72gmc
08-04-2006, 11:38 AM
i think this is a great thread, ginger. good information.

my wife is a very casual rider, but she likes shimano shoes. i do as well--riding sidis currently, but i still have a pair of the old yellow strap shimano mtb shoes lying around here somewhere.

my girlfriend in college preferred shorts that were a softer fabric than lycra/spandex. still black, but not shiny. i've seen these for women but i don't know brands offhand.

2 other thoughts: the velo bella team lists hincapie as their clothing sponsor. and performance sells an old school crochet cycling glove for around ten bucks a pair.

jckid
08-04-2006, 01:36 PM
For shoes, I prefer Sidi (women specific), and my favorite saddle is the Fizik Vitesse. As far as shorts, any brand of cycling shorts works okay for me on rides of 15 miles or less, but I'm still looking for the perfect pair of shorts for long rides. I may have to try the Craft brand that Ginger mentioned.

Daggett
08-04-2006, 01:46 PM
I was looking at the Sidi web site. Most of their shoes are pricey. Has anyone had a pair of the less expensive ones? Any experience with Pearl Izumi shoes?

Does anyone have favorite pedals? I'm looking at the speed play zero.

Mud
08-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Assos bibs, much better than the Pearl. Fit like a skinsuit. I like that-no bra.

atmo
08-04-2006, 04:08 PM
if i were a girl, i'd live in jil sander atmo.

palincss
08-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Just wear a good sports bra and bib straps won't be noticeable.

Smiley...that's your answer, start wearing sports bras under your bibs.

Yeah, he could get away with one of those "A cup" jobs...

:banana:

palincss
08-04-2006, 05:24 PM
I was looking at the Sidi web site. Most of their shoes are pricey. Has anyone had a pair of the less expensive ones?

11 years ago I bought a pair of Sidi MTB shoes to use on my commuter, which I had equipped with SPDs. Don't recall the model name, but it closed with two velcro closures. The Dominator model was just too much $ for a shoe for commuting, and also I couldn't see the buckle properly: too far for my reading lenses, too close and small for my distance lenses.

I liked the setup well enough I converted the fleet to SPD, and now I used the shoes for every ride.

One time I took my car for service, went on a bike ride while they were working on the car, and somehow ended up leaving the shoes at the dealership when I went home. Coincidentally, those very shoes had gone on closeout at Colorado Cyclist, and I snapped up a pair, left them in the box waiting for the originals to wear out.
When the shoes went missing, I put the new ones into service.

That Monday, the shop called to say they found a pair of cycling shoes, and were they mine? So the new ones became my weekend shoes and the old ones, back from the dealership, went to commuter-only duty.

I'm still using those shoes for commuting. Must have 20,000 miles on them now. The velcro's delaminated from the straps twice - reglued the first time, now waiting for my wife to find the glue again to do the strap that came apart most recently.

Daggett
08-21-2006, 01:16 PM
You gals and guys really know your stuff. I bought a pair of the Craft Master shorts and love them. Pearl Izumi should take notes. I tried on a pair of the PI and see that the edge of the chamois could be very uncomfortable. Thanks for your help. :)

catulle
08-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Victoria's Bianchi.

mwos
08-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Shebeest SSS and Long Distance shorts, I will not wear anything else!

Sugoi, Shebeest, Castelli and Voler, Louis Garneau jerseys fit small riders pretty well.

PI and Louis Garneau gloves, smallest I can find.

Sidi Shoes, road and mtn bike.

Saddle, WTB Speed She, however, I think it is discontinued and now called the Deva, good reports just posted on the Team Estrogen forum.

Size 5 socks are hard to find!

Bra, Sugoi and Patagonia.

The Team Estrogen forum is a great site. I met 2 members on Candisc. Some men read the forum also, I've been on the forum since its existence, I think.

Kathi

The Doctor
08-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Daggett,

About shoes: SIDI shoes are to narrow for my feet and I switched to Nike, which are very good. The Nike I have have carbon soles (I don't remember the style name but they are silver with some light blue details). The very stiff carbon sole took some time to get used to but now they feel very good to ride with. However, they did not work with my old Speedplay cleats as they required some special adapter that was a pain in the neck to find. I switched pedals to Shimano SPD and I am very happy with those pedals. I used to have a pair of Diadora shoes that were very comfortable.

About shorts: I have to agree with Ginger and RapidTourist about Pearl Izumi shorts. I used to have the Ultrasensor short versions and was very happy with them. However, I recently bought a new pair and PI has remodeled the chami and the new short is awful to ride in (which I discovered after only one or two rides). I have a pair of knickers from Boure that I think are great. They are also perfect in the fall and spring (plus big part of the winter here in Washington, DC). I will probably buy a pair of shorts from Boure as well since my wonderful dog has chewed on my other shorts (she doesn't only chew on Flydhest's bibs...).

Jerseys: Pearl Izumi's seems to very expensive and never on sale. Their jerseys also seems to be slightly smaller in size than other brands and the sleeves with the elastic feels often very tight when I try them on. I recently bought a jersey by GORE (I think that is the brand name). It was very light and very comfortable to wear in the humid hot summer in Washington, DC. I also like Descente longsleeve jersey for the winter. I have started to like jerseys that can be zipped up and down all the way. If you want a jersey with sunprotective feature, Terry has one longsleeve model. Sunprecaution also sells one sunprotective bike jersey model.

Sports tops: I like the sports bras from Adidas and Champion. The Adidas ones I have dry very quickly. he only downside is that the top seam of shoulder strap does give some marks on the shoulders and I don't know if that will bother you if you wear a back pack or camel water pack while you bike. Get bras that dry quickly, it helps make you feel dryer quicker even if you can't switch clothes immediately after the ride.

Outdoor: I like to have a wind resistant but very light vest (with a meshed back) that just gives me the extra wind protection but does not make me to warm. For a longsleeve winter jacket, Descente makes a good wind and waterproof jacket.

Like Ginger, I like to dress in layers to keep warm duirng the colder months.

Fort the winter, get warm and nice gloves (especially lobster version if you live in a very cold are) and shoe covers. A skull cap to use under the helmet also helps keeping you warm. If it is very cold, get a Balaclava which helps keeping both the face and the top of the head warm. You will still be cold but at least you can go for a ride even at low temperatures. If you can wear wool, you may want to try wool socks.

Have fun,

The Doctor

thejen12
10-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I am usually a budget shopper, so I mostly get stuff on sale. Especially jerseys. I shop the bigger catalog stores (Performance, Nashbar) for sale jerseys if I need a jersey. One thing about jerseys is that you only need so many, after that you're set for a long time.

With shorts, I recently found the Terry T short and I LOVE it! Can't speak to how long lived it is, though. But in the past 5 years or so, I have not been able to find a short I could wear on a long ride without inducing some kind of wear scar on my behind. Certainly not Performance or REI shorts (budget shopper, remember?) I'd like to try on the Shebeest Elite 2 short as soon as my LBS can get it in stock (that would be a splurge for me, but I'm celebrating actually being able to do long rides again). I've never seen the Craft shorts, but Craft tends to be way out of my price range. Shorts that fail the "long ride" test get relegated to "commute shorts" if they can't be returned.

As for shoes, the SIDIs have too high an arch for me. I had to relegate my beautiful and expensive SIDIs to commute shoes because they made my feet hurt and go numb on long rides. I recently tried on Specialized shoes (women's models) and found that they fit me very well. I'm in the process of switching to using MTB shoes even on my road bike. It will be so nice to be able to get off and walk around. I'll get the Specialized shoes for that.

For pedals I cannot recommend Speedplays highly enough! I love all the float, and the pedals are very easy to get in and out of, lightweight, small profile, etc. I've been using the regular speedplays on my road bikes, and speedplay frogs on my mtn bike. When I get my new road bike, the frogs will go on there.

As for Sports Bras, Champion is having a sale right now! www.championcatalog.com. All the bras are $19.99 and if you put FALLSALE into the promotion code you get free shipping. This goes on at least until 10/15, I think. I just got one of the seamless O2 bras - it seems nice, haven't worn it yet. I have some old sports bras I really like, but I ordered the newer model of it and it's different and I don't like it as much. I can't quite remember the brand, something like InMotion.

As for knee warmers, I really like the Defeet kneekers. They are not as warm or as long-lasting as Pearl Izumi, but they are WAY more comfortable. I'd like to try the Defeet arm warmers, too.

I like jackets with lots of options. The best option is a zipper that zips up from the bottom or down from the top (double zipper). It can be very venting to zip up from the bottom. That helps in changing weather conditions. Pit zips are also nice - especially on rain jackets because they tend to get more sweaty inside. Sleeves with velcro cuffs are also nice because you can undo the velcro and vent air up the sleeve or roll up the sleeve if you're too hot. Reflective piping is a must if you are riding at night, but I have been less than impressed with that Illuminite stuff.

I'm pretty happy with the Terry Butterfly saddle. Terry saddles are returnable if they don't work out, so you can hardly go wrong giving one a try. I'm curious about the Specialized Jett saddle, but I just bought two new Terrys, so that will have to wait. I do find that sometimes a model of saddle that works great for me will suddenly "turn on me" and give me all sorts of problems after a year or two. I think this is because I change my position a lot (I have a back problem and am always seeking ways to be more comfortable), but I've heard other people say the same thing. The Terry Butterfly has lasted me a pretty long time, though, I think I've been riding that model for 4-5 years now.

Happy Shopping, Jenn

morty
10-07-2006, 07:29 PM
For me, hands down, you can't go wrong with Bellweather jerseys. They're not that expensive and seem to last forever. The one I'm wearing now is around six years old and still looks and fits great. Sugoi also makes some especially nice clothing.

I have one pair of SheBeest shorts that I need to throw away after only two rides. The seam in the front panel rubbed my thigh so bad it scarred me for life, and I don't have the heart to give them to my sister as she requested. The Pearl Izumi Micro Sensor & Ultra Sensor shorts are just okay, they rub a little and seem to be wearing out quickly. Think I'll resign myself and shell out the cash and try the Crafts next time.

My favorite tights are an old pair of INSport tights that have zippered ankles and a fuzzy, fleecy lining that keeps my legs nice and warm without overheating on climbs--something that happens too often with tights. They have a chamois, so I don't ride with any other shorts underneath (bunched up material is a BAD thing!). The only drawback is if you have long legs and skinny ankles they have a tendency to creep up a bit, but taller socks take care of that.

Get the shoes that best fit your feet, period. Your feet are one of three contact points and they need to be comfortable. Sidis work best for my narrow feet. Don't forget also that your feet tend to swell when riding, so make sure you have plenty of room in the toebox to wiggle your toes. Diadora's are nice and tend to run wider.

I've been using the Pearl Izumi GelLite gloves and have been happy with them, though a friend of mine recently bought a pair of Louis Garneau's and said she likes them a lot.

Have fun and good luck!