PDA

View Full Version : gravel wheels?

wc1934
01-24-2017, 07:22 PM
In a previous thread I asked about the pros and cons of a gravel vs road bike etc. I decided to get a gravel frame and have it built up by the builder with parts supplied by me. Thank you all for your input and comments.

Now another question to the forum braintrust - any thoughts on wheels - non disc and campy. I am looking for something that is decent but not extremely outrageously expensive - Should I be seeking a cross wheelset or just a regular wheel - any suggestions?

Sorry for my ignorance but I feel comfortable posting dumb questions as I end up learning a ton.
Thanks

Mzilliox
01-24-2017, 07:32 PM
it will depend on your weight for one, and how you ride for another. i ride a fe sets on gravel, and its more about the tire then wheel anyway.

my go to on gravel seems to be hed ardennes plus with fat tires.
the Boyd stuff gets good reviews,
and our sponsors, Pacenti and Ergott are good places to look as i ride my ergott built pacentis on gravel quite a bit too

gomango
01-24-2017, 07:55 PM
No need to get carried away with this decision.

I've been beating on Fulcrum 5 CXs and 3s for two seasons.

Haven't missed a beat.

I ride 38s on both and they don't whine.

Not light, but certainly durable.

Hilltopperny
01-24-2017, 07:57 PM
I had OP build me a set dt r460 32 spoke wheels with miche race box hubs for my gravel bike. I am 200+ lbs and wanted a bomb proof wheelset and that is what he built me. They aren't the fastest wheels and don't climb like my lighter narrower wheels, but they maintain speed well enough off and on road with a nice set of tires. Very comfortable and I don't worry about them failing or getting too roughed up:beer:

mktng
01-24-2017, 09:16 PM
I have the 6800 wheelset on my "gravel" bike. Don't be like me. Don't get a low spoke wheelset for gravel. Didn't last long. All out of true. Saving my pennies for a quality 32h+ wheelset.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ceolwulf
01-24-2017, 09:20 PM
I use the cheap Campy Khamsin CX wheels and they work very nicely. Rather heavy but very strong (despite low spoke count) and I like that they have extra seals to keep the gravel on the outside where it belongs. Have to think that the better wheels' CX versions would be a fine choice if you wanted something a little lighter.

72gmc
01-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Campagnolo Record hubs. Good rims. Good spokes and nipples. Good builder. Good tires.

Easy to service, repair, ride, and look at.

Luwabra
01-24-2017, 10:24 PM
I did a 28/28 a23,dt350, comp spokes w good aluminum nips. Light,strong,tubeless ready. Greatsturdy build. 1000+ miles still true still want more.

simonov
01-25-2017, 03:57 AM
Plenty of good rim brake options that can handle some gravel. My favorites are 28/28 HED Belgiums with DT240s hubs. Strong, reasonable weight, very good brake track, easily serviceable, and a wide platform for bigger tires. Swap the 240s for 350 hubs to save some dough.

oldpotatoe
01-25-2017, 04:36 AM
it will depend on your weight for one, and how you ride for another. i ride a fe sets on gravel, and its more about the tire then wheel anyway.

my go to on gravel seems to be hed ardennes plus with fat tires.
the Boyd stuff gets good reviews,
and our sponsors, Pacenti and Ergott are good places to look as i ride my ergott built pacentis on gravel quite a bit too

And your budget. Record, DT hubs, laced to DT440, Archetypes, Velocity A23..sapim Race spokes..PM if you'd like me to build you a wheelset.

Peter
Chisholm's Custom Wheels.