PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Question: Velonews Podcast, Metabolic cycles, heat patterns,

MattTuck
01-24-2017, 02:16 PM
http://www.velonews.com/2017/01/podcast/fast-talk-ep-10-hit-race-weight-right-way_427913

This is regarding losing weight.

Starting at around 23-24 minutes, the Podcast guest is talking about Metabolic patterns and metabolic heat, and makes the claim that it takes about 48 hours for your body to 'understand' a new nutrition program, in terms of calories, timing and nutrient type (I think), and that once you do this, you should hold that pattern for about 7-10 days as your body adapts to it.

And that having one 'bad' day essentially ruins the weight loss effort, as your body then needs another 48 hours to readjust to the plan. So, let's say you're good for 2 days, then have a bad day, then good for 3 days, then bad for a day, then good for 4 days. You've essentially only had 3 (the 3rd day of the 3 day cycle and the 3rd and 4th day of the 4 day cycle) good days of weight loss over a period of 10 days. His advice was stick to the program for 7-10 days and then have a day where you eat whatever, and then stick to it again for another 7-10 days.

Can anyone comment on this? I ask because the intro to the podcast is the host basically saying that some of the guest's science is a little questionable. So I'd like to get a handle on this, but I think it could make it psychologically easier to commit to a diet, and more resistant to the night time ice cream, if I knew this were true.

stephenmarklay
01-24-2017, 03:18 PM
I listened to it twice taking special note of the forward. I have to say I think it was a lot of pseudoscience.

I would stick to the basics. If you want to lose weight eat less food one way or the other. It trumps absolutely everything. It does seem that getting good amounts of protein during a rapid weight lose helps keep more lean muscle.

Out if the eat less diets, some form of fasting seems to also help preserve muscle and it also has a fairly high adherence.

I am roughly eating an every other day diet which I eat a higher protein meal at dinner on my fast day. I double up that fast day Thur/Friday as it fits my schedule for my trading well.

In practice I find this diet extremely easy to follow compared everything else I have tried. The big reason is that while it does take a bit of willpower on the fast day (not much though especially after the first couple weeks) the eating day is a total rest and it happens every other day.

ceolwulf
01-24-2017, 03:35 PM
I am roughly eating an every other day diet which I eat a higher protein meal at dinner on my fast day. I double up that fast day Thur/Friday as it fits my schedule for my trading well.

Hang on you only eat three days a week? and this works for you?

That's intermittent fasting taken to the next level, I thought I was doing pretty okay by skipping breakfast.

stephenmarklay
01-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Hang on you only eat three days a week? and this works for you?

That's intermittent fasting taken to the next level, I thought I was doing pretty okay by skipping breakfast.

Yeah but trust me it ends up being way easier than you would think. The fact that you can eat a dinner even if it is lower cal (500 or so) is a big stress relief from just not eating that day at all. I also make sure I get a good dose of protein and a large amount of veggies so I am full after that. You are technically not eating for 24 hours give or take so I count that as a fast.

I started this at the beginning of the year since I was all of 195 and I want to be 160 give or take.

ceolwulf
01-24-2017, 07:50 PM
OK that makes a lot of sense. Somehow I missed that you had a small dinner on the off day.

stephenmarklay
01-24-2017, 08:06 PM
OK that makes a lot of sense. Somehow I missed that you had a small dinner on the off day.

I’m not crazy :)