PDA

View Full Version : road shock: recommendations?

foamy
08-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I have an '02 Legend Ti that I'm very happy with but I've discovered recently that while descending on rough roads the bike is a little hard to handle (having ridden a Calfee down the same stretch of road). I like the handling characteristics of my Legend, just not the road shock. Any suggestions are welcome...

other info: Deda Newton bars & stem, Reynolds Ouzo pro fork (no idea what the rake is).

SPOKE
08-02-2006, 12:24 PM
tire pressure!!!! if you are riding with more than 110psi on a 700x23c tire then the ride can be a bit harsh. also your wheel choice makes a huge difference.

Fixed
08-02-2006, 12:57 PM
double tape
cheers

David Kirk
08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Tires, tires, tires.........

Thin inner tubes........

Dave

Too Tall
08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Ditto. That's THE bike to be on. Check your skins. Don't dynamite your tyres!!!

dbrk
08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
The F1 fork limits tire size, at least that's been my experience but try a 25c Michelin or something wider than a 23c. Tire pressure. If you need cork tape _and_ gel gloves you need to check tire pressures.

only cotton or leather wrap and no padding on the gloves, comfy as can be,
dbrk

foamy
08-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try dropping the air pressure and adding some air volume.

William
08-02-2006, 03:44 PM
28c's

William

Dekonick
08-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I have an '02 Legend Ti that I'm very happy with but I've discovered recently that while descending on rough roads the bike is a little hard to handle (having ridden a Calfee down the same stretch of road). I like the handling characteristics of my Legend, just not the road shock. Any suggestions are welcome...

other info: Deda Newton bars & stem, Reynolds Ouzo pro fork (no idea what the rake is).

Get a Hors Categorie. Other solutions include a Dave Kirk Terraplane.

:)

Too bad the Hors is no longer made.... :cool:

Ken Robb
08-02-2006, 04:45 PM
my F1 takes a "25mm" conti ultragatorskin but not a 28mm of the same type. I think a true 25mm like a Michelin might fit. My Profile Design AC-1 fork took the 28mm easily.

dirtdigger88
08-02-2006, 04:53 PM
my F1 takes a "25mm" conti ultragatorskin but not a 28mm of the same type. I think a true 25mm like a Michelin might fit. My Profile Design AC-1 fork took the 28mm easily.

a 25 mm Michelin will not fit-

but I dont think foamy has an F1- he (she?) said they have an Ouza-

those will take an 25mm Michelin-

then drop the PSI to 85- 90 and have fun

Jason

1centaur
08-02-2006, 06:32 PM
I'll add my usual advice - Topolinos.

djg
08-02-2006, 06:58 PM

I think everybody is right about the tires.

An ouzo pro fork should accomodate a 25 michelin pro race just fine (and a 25 in a conti or vred with even more room to spare). If you're running tubbies, veloflex roubaix or vittoria pave in a 24 will also clear with plenty of room to spare. If you're running clinchers, adding to the girth of the tire allows you to drop the pressure a bit without increasing the risk of pinch flats, but I don't actually have any idea whether you were up against the wall on that risk anyway. With tubbies, the pinch flat thing isn't much of a problem anyway, but a good quality 24 with reasonable pressure can seem pretty darn smooth IMO.

Kevan
08-02-2006, 08:39 PM
thought the question was about Rorshock. Never mind.

On top of all that's been added, cf bars or double wrap your bars Roubaix style.

I find most gloves do poorly accounting for hands swelling. Buy'm cheap with less leather.

Too Tall
08-03-2006, 07:11 AM
DJG - Thank You. What was I thinking not mentioning going to a tubular wheelset? Yikes. I can easily fit tubulars labeled 24 and are quite tall compared to most of the 23s I run. Heck yes, this is a good idea.

TUBULARS. Yeah, that's the ticket.