PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Apps

Tony T
01-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Back on a trainer after number of years as I hated the boredom.
Just got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine | Smart and the Apps make the training less boring :)

I've tried the Kinetic Fit App, the Trainer Road App and Zwift.
I've only competed 1 workout with each, but I like Trainer Road the best so far.

So, which do you guys use to train?

drewskey
01-23-2017, 03:57 PM
I use a combination of both Trainerroad and Zwift... Can I vote twice??? ;)

OtayBW
01-23-2017, 04:20 PM
I use a combination of both Trainerroad and Zwift... Can I vote twice??? ;)
Or for 'Other'?

DfCas
01-23-2017, 04:39 PM
I ride the excellent videos on the Tacx Cycling App.

sitzmark
01-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Need an "other" selection.
Also use CVT (CycleOps Virtual training)
There are others - FulGaz, Veloreality, Kinomap, etc .....

ceolwulf
01-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Apparently the Sufferfest app is pretty good too.

I use only Zwift myself. I think it's the best for anything other than Very Serious Training, which I do little of in winter (... also in summer if we're being honest). It's pretty good at that too though, with the workout modes.

R3awak3n
01-23-2017, 05:48 PM
I use Zwift and Trainer road. I like both. Zwift is the more fun of the 2 but better workout with Trainer road.

makoti
01-23-2017, 05:51 PM
PerfPro. Love it. Build my own, plug in Sufferfest or what have you.

mavic1010
01-23-2017, 05:54 PM
I use Zwift and TrainerRoad. Primarily TrainerRoad right now as I'm going through SS training and then moving on to some other FTP building activities. I'll go back to zwift when I'm not in serious training mode.

Tony T
01-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Apparently the Sufferfest app is pretty good too.

I'll take a look at that one

Tony T
01-23-2017, 06:11 PM
PerfPro. Love it. Build my own, plug in Sufferfest or what have you.

Don't think I can connect to PerfPro as I need a Bluetooth connection.

Tony T
01-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Need an "other" selection.
Also use CVT (CycleOps Virtual training)
There are others - FulGaz, Veloreality, Kinomap, etc .....

I'll take a look at those also, thanks.

OldCrank
01-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Is it me, or does it look like TrainerRoad, Zwift and SufferFest are homogenizing?

Zwift is starting training 'plans'.

SufferFest too, and more 'social' stuff to their races.

Will TrainerRoad start rides & 'races'?

I'm trying all three (at least) and deciding which to go with.
Until the weather lets me stay out of the basement.
On my Kreitlers(!)

efaust_o
01-23-2017, 07:10 PM
I had limited resources; KK 2200, cadence sensor, HRM, dongle....that's all I needed for TR. I went through a base program for 4 weeks and although I didn't test (should have been 6 weeks) I know my FTP increased by the way I was finishing the 4th week of workouts.

Tony T
01-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Been checking out the above suggestions, and Sufferfest looks good.
I'm going to give it a try next week after a week on TrainerRoad.

Tony T
01-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Is it me, or does it look like TrainerRoad, Zwift and SufferFest are homogenizing?

Been googling and found out that "TrainerRoad co-founder Reid Weber works for The Sufferfest. (http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/category/accessories/training-software/product/the-sufferfest-training-centre-app-review-50921/)"

makoti
01-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Don't think I can connect to PerfPro as I need a Bluetooth connection.

I'm not sure about that. You could always ask him. He answers really quickly.

mjalder2
01-24-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm going to give [Sufferfest] a try next week after a week on TrainerRoad.

FWIW, there are a bunch of Sufferfest rides within TrainerRoad. I haven't tried them out, because I immediately jumped on a plan, but there's a pretty large catalog of them, including a Sufferfest FTP test. May be worth checking out within TR before signing up for yet another training program. :beer:

Tony T
01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I saw that, but the sufferfest workouts on TrainerRoad don't include the sufferfest video's.
Not sure it I would like the video's (I didn't like the Zwift 'videos'), but since sufferfest has a 14 day free trial, I'll take a look.

mjalder2
01-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Ahhh, got it. I never put that together.

jruhlen1980
01-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Rode zwift last winter but never used their app.

Used the TrainerRoad app a couple times this winter when I was having computer problems. It's virtually identical to the computer program.

I liked Zwift, but without a smart trainer the "virtual" aspect of it is somewhat negated, it's basically riding while looking at pictures on a screen. Also, when it synced to Strava it would upload the Zwift-miles ridden, which did not match up to the actual trainer miles ridden, per my bike computer, which isn't a big deal but the inaccuracy bothered me.

For me, Trainerroad is better suited for dumb-trainers, it gives me a specific workout to do and I can watch TV while I'm doing it.

shovelhd
01-24-2017, 02:07 PM
I don't train, but I have been using Zwift since the beta. I enjoy the rides, races, and JRA while watching a movie. I am using it with a Tacx Bushido Smart.

One thing about competing, if you are on a smart trainer you are at a distinct disadvantage to those without. Dumb trainers can easily hold power over crests and down hills, where smart trainers are much more realistic and make you work for it. I have dialed back the trainer difficulty about 5%, which helped.