PDA

View Full Version : Pbp 2007

Too Tall
08-02-2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.seattlerandonneur.org/info/pbp07.pdf

Enjoy :)

wanderingwheel
08-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I promised myself after the Gold Rush that I would never do another randonee. Promises are made to be broken, right?

dauwhe
08-02-2006, 11:47 AM
I hope to be there. I'm not riding BMB this year in part because I thought I might never want to do another 1200k. I figure if I only do one, it has to be Paris!

I rode a beautiful, hilly 300k this Sunday. There were four starters and two finishers--I've never stayed with the lead group for so long before :)

Dave "still really excited to have finished the 600k" Cramer

72gmc
08-02-2006, 12:02 PM
keith bontrager has a recent diary entry over on cyclingnews that has some good advice re chamois cream and insoles for long long distance mtbing. made me think of you rando-kooks when i read it.

how long do you train to do pbp? a buildup of several years?

goonster
08-02-2006, 12:07 PM
I will definitely be there. :banana:

The trip has been seven years in the making. (Was qualified in '03 but couldn't travel due to immigration status) I've been saving myself up for this because I want PBP to be my first 1200 km, of many others, hopefully. By the time I line up in St. Quentin-en-Yvelines I will have almost 7000 km of brevets in the bag. :beer:

goonster
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
keith bontrager has a recent diary entry over on cyclingnews that has some good advice re chamois cream and insoles for long long distance mtbing. made me think of you rando-kooks when i read it.

I ride dry, but I'm still looking for better insoles.

Depends. Some people ride 400 miles per week year-round. Others roll out of bed in March for the 200 km.

I rode with a chap who does no riding, except in PBP years. Every four years he looks up at the bike hanging on the wall, and the bike looks at him and says, "let's go." I saw him lose some 30 lbs. over the course of the brevet series, and go from backmarker to head of the middle class. He has finished four PBP's.

dauwhe
08-02-2006, 01:06 PM

For me that's true; there's a lot to learn. More important than the riding itself is figuring out how and what to eat, dealing with night riding, all sorts of weather conditions, and the psychological issues. When I first heard about BMB, I thought it was impossible. I still think that, but what was unimaginable before has now become possible. I did a 300k this weekend, and while it was a really long, hard ride, it really wasn't a huge deal.

It's taken me three years to build up to this, but I'm very slow and not very strong. I rode most of the 300k with a guy who only picked up a bike at all last summer. He's already staying with the lead group on really long rides, and finished the 400k four hours ahead of me.

Dave

TimB
08-02-2006, 02:51 PM
What about you, TT? You and the Queen goin' to rip up PBP on tandem again?

davep
08-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm planning on being there. Here's the official site http://pbp.star-warz.net/EN/index.php?showpage=11

shoe
08-02-2006, 10:25 PM
good legs and well behaved knees and i'll be there. i am not sure what it takes to ride that far but i am plan on figuring it out...my friend and i set that as our goal...dave

GregLR
08-03-2006, 02:40 AM
I did PBP in 2003, building up to it over about 5 months. While I already had good experience riding brevets up to 600km, I had no idea whether I could handle double that distance. As it turned out I managed it OK, despite some difficulties along the way.

Here's some inspiring (& timeless) words on the event from this French cycletouring site http://www.cyclos-cyclotes.org/pbp/index_ang.html (click on the link to see the full translation)

“A historic and mystic randonnee that every four years attracts several thousand French and foreign randonneurs...emotional but above all passionate by the bicycle and the sporting challenge…When one sets out for 80 to 90 hours, you do not have to be called Superman to succeed on this difficult journey...It is to set ones-self a challenge, to be done at least once in a lifetime, an unforgettable experience...It is above all a battle of endurance…It is often said that Paris-Brest-Paris is achieved more with the head than with the legs. It requires dedication and willpower…whilst not being one of the last adventures of the modern world, it is in every sense a formidable challenge to oneself, and a superb occasion that will produce many unforgettable memories."

Greg

Too Tall
08-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Timmy, Queen mentioned riding PBP next yr. last week. I asked her if she wouldn't rather we get those tattos on our corneas we've always promised each other if the words "let's ride PBP again" ever erupted :rolleyes:

Seriously, riding PBP for a fast time on tandem is just sooo hard. Dunno man. We've done it twice, done well ain't that good enough?

We both are excited to ride across the USA again and could do that till the cows come home as it is a joyous ride fer sher :) Than there are the Dolomites with SteveP, ClimbingOne et. al ;)

Something is in the works, it just hasn't ripened yet.

jeffg
08-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Timmy, Queen mentioned riding PBP next yr. last week. I asked her if she wouldn't rather we get those tattos on our corneas we've always promised each other if the words "let's ride PBP again" ever erupted :rolleyes:

Seriously, riding PBP for a fast time on tandem is just sooo hard. Dunno man. We've done it twice, done well ain't that good enough?

We both are excited to ride across the USA again and could do that till the cows come home as it is a joyous ride fer sher :) Than there are the Dolomites with SteveP, ClimbingOne et. al ;)

Something is in the works, it just hasn't ripened yet.

I would say that's enough, TT ;)

Speaking of something ripening, what about the Raid Provence Extreme, or perhaps coaching me for (or talking me out of) it?

I guess I have to know how to qualify first ... Any ideas?

In the alternative, we can just ride Mont Ventoux a few times ...

Too Tall
08-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Yeah, you know what you have to do! Ride a ton of miles with the big dogs and structure your season.
Brotherman, I'm all in. Mom's health seems stable so next season Queen and me are going to do something big. It could involve S.France and that would make use of sister's joint in Provence...hmmmm.
PS - you don't believe you qualify...it is a qualifier for RAAM. I know some folks who have done it. That's a b of a ride. You need support. Fly me over...haha but let's def. use a Porsche, they have good brakes ;)
http://www.velo-concept.com/semistatic/RPE06_RulesEn_0306UP.pdf

TimB
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
I know I've mentioned it before, but "The Great Trial of Strength" (http://www.styrkeproven.com/styrk2003/index.shtml) seems so appealing to me, even as a non-brevet person. Something about riding above the arctic circle in high summer.

Maybe when Sophia is a teenager I can convince her to ride tandem with me on this?

jeffg
08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah, you know what you have to do! Ride a ton of miles with the big dogs and structure your season.
Brotherman, I'm all in. Mom's health seems stable so next season Queen and me are going to do something big. It could involve S.France and that would make use of sister's joint in Provence...hmmmm.
PS - you don't believe you qualify...it is a qualifier for RAAM. I know some folks who have done it. That's a b of a ride. You need support. Fly me over...haha but let's def. use a Porsche, they have good brakes ;)
http://www.velo-concept.com/semistatic/RPE06_RulesEn_0306UP.pdf

Okey, dokey. I thought only a certain number of folks were selected to ride even though it is a RAAM qualifier.

Question bęte ... Do I need aerobars? I personally prefer the randonneur no aerobars allowed route ...

And, at my current rate it will be lots o trainer time plus some long outings whenever I get a chance. We'll see how it goes ...

Too Tall
08-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Hahah, aero bars? You won't need them.

Tim, how do you charm cats off a porch? I promise I'll never tell your kids what an insane man you are. Did you want to get the cornea tattoo also?

davep
08-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Question bęte ... Do I need aerobars? I personally prefer the randonneur no aerobars allowed route ...

Aerobars are not allowed at PBP, but, as far as I know, all brevets in this country allow aerobars, and many people use them. I used them my first season, and didn't my second. I'm not usually going fast enough for them to make a big difference in speed, but the change in position is nice. If you are racing, most ultra racers use aerobars. In the last RAAM Jock Boyer could pick up 2mph when he went to his aerobars. He also developed such a bad case of Shermer's Neck that he had to wear a brace the last part of the race.

jeffg
08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Aerobars are not allowed at PBP, but, as far as I know, all brevets in this country allow aerobars, and many people use them. I used them my first season, and didn't my second. I'm not usually going fast enough for them to make a big difference in speed, but the change in position is nice. If you are racing, most ultra racers use aerobars. In the last RAAM Jock Boyer could pick up 2mph when he went to his aerobars. He also developed such a bad case of Shermer's Neck that he had to wear a brace the last part of the race.

and writing about the Raid Provence Extreme. It seems hilly enough that no aerobars would be necessary. Crew? Would be great, but I think you can do it solo ...

jcmuellner
08-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I plan on being at PBP in 2007. I had such a wonderful time in 2003...I also rode the Raid Pyrenee beforehand and spent two weeks in the Pyrenees total, just riding cols and exploring. And it was the hottest summer on record, so that added to the epic.

For 2007 I'm looking into doing the Raid Alps or Dolomites before PBP; I figure if I'm going all that way I might as well do as much riding as possible.

The one thing I won't do next year is rush through PBP...it is just too amazing an experience and there's no hurry. I plan on eating, drinking, meeting new friends and taking photos along the way.

My ride reports are at:
http://www.mile43.com/cycling/randonneuring.html

Bon Route! See you in France!

72gmc
08-03-2006, 11:25 AM
absolutely inexperienced thoughts:

1. riding 1200k on a tandem seems to me to be a mental exercise to the extreme... two personalities under extreme duress with no escape from each other... either the meshing or grinding of gears will be epic. tt, you and the queen are brave and strong.

2. that ride above the arctic circle looks really cool! uh oh, is that mental illness i feel coming on?

Too Tall
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
JC - I am pretty sure I remember you hanging around the hotel, eating with other Americans. You got style brother. The links to Raid etc. are MOST interesting. I need to know more

72GMC - Well, credit due where credit earned...goes to wife and tandem parther Queen. I've got the plan and she is the glue, the muscle, the rock o gib-ral-tah. She is the better bike rider, that's a fact.

RABikes2
08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
School starts a few days after the finish of PBP, so the plan is to take my 16 year old son, Andrew, on a vacation to Italy and France prior to PBP '07. Then it'll be on to the start line with the rest of you! Hopefully, my fit and saddle issues will have been corrected; I see Kathy Krumme in October! :banana: :banana:. Andrew will be assisted crewing by an old journalist friend of ours that lives in Rome (who speaks 5 languages and has traveled the world. What an experience for a 16 year old, eh!)
Any advice, suggestions, or ideas from the experienced PBP riders would be greatly appreciated! The logistics of doing a 1200k in Europe is a bit overwhelming.
RA

J.Greene
08-07-2006, 11:56 AM
School starts a few days after the finish of PBP, so the plan is to take my 16 year old son, Andrew, on a vacation to Italy and France prior to PBP '07. Then it'll be on to the start line with the rest of you! Hopefully, my fit and saddle issues will have been corrected; I see Kathy Krumme in October! :banana: :banana:. Andrew will be assisted crewing by an old journalist friend of ours that lives in Rome (who speaks 5 languages and has traveled the world. What an experience for a 16 year old, eh!)
Any advice, suggestions, or ideas from the experienced PBP riders would be greatly appreciated! The logistics of doing a 1200k in Europe is a bit overwhelming.
RA

A buddy has asked me to do some brevets with him this winter. I know I have a 200k in the bag. I'm worried about fit issues at the more extreme distances. what do rider positioons look like for 400- 1200k rides?

JG

Too Tall
08-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I def. do have advice for you darlin'. Plan to get your money's worth :) Seriously, you do not have to kill yourself to take in the entire event and finish inside 90 hrs. and that's what I'd recommend. Find gruppo sympatico situations where you find them and let everything else fall to the wayside.

Don't burden youself with elaborate plans. Seek to max out the fun meter all will be OK.

PS - Learn to love Ham and butter on stale bread ;)

jcmuellner
08-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Learn to love Ham and butter on stale bread ;)

How true this is! Fortunately I really like it...with the exception that after many hours my mouth was a bit tender and the hard crusts hurt a bit. Real food always beats squished jelly packs anyday.

I agree with Too Tall that taking time to enjoy the ride is paramount, it's a beautiful place there in Brittany and Normandy, so why rush? A few of us from SIR are also considering the Raid Alpine, another col ride I am looking forward to.

Now that I've fallen in love with the Turnesol 650b that dbrk posted awhile ago I can't help wondering what it would be like to have one of my own for next year....

Jon

Too Tall
09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Who's "in"?

You crazy kids. Stranger things have happened, I plan to ride a Brevet series.

billrick
09-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Who's "in"?

You crazy kids. Stranger things have happened, I plan to ride a Brevet series.

I'm in for the 2007 DC Randonneurs series and will have PBP in the back of my mind. Hope it stays there!

:)

Brons2
09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
I am planning on qualifying for and riding in PBP '07.

Now, I just gotta figure out how to get a 68cm Rivendell, sans couplers, to France.

Too Tall
09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Brons - Air France is pretty good with bicycles. However you'll need to ship bike and wheels sep. to get around total weight restriction per box. This seems only to be an issue outbound from USA and no issues returning to USA go figure.

davep
09-25-2006, 08:45 PM
You stand a good chance of being charged by the airlines in any case, especially an american airline with a flight that has a domestic component. A standard bicycle case is oversize, greater than 62" length + width + thickness, no matter what the weight and will be charged as such. A quick search returns this from United (other airlines are the same):

Oversized baggage
Some checked items are assessed a special handling charge because of size, fragility, or other handling requirements. Examples are:
Bicycles
Cellos
Kennels
Surfboards
Sailboards
Scuba gear
There is a charge for checked items between 62 linear inches (length+width+height) and 115 linear inches. We will not accept or check items in excess of 115 linear inches. No single dimension may be more than 62 inches.

International flights may be different. There are some conflicting IATA regulations - some treat bicycles as one piece of luggage, no matter the size, another does not. And you may be charged if your flight has a domestic component rather than a direct international flight.

I just returned from Europe, and a buddy I was flying with was not charged extra and I was charged extra only because I had three bags to check, one being a bike case. This was on Delta.

One tip I have heard some bicyclists use is to say the box is a trade show display, which are generally not charged extra for, if one of your two checked pieces. Of course, this will work best if your case does not say "BICYCLE CASE" on it :).

With the airlines scrambling for revenue, I would plan on paying extra, unless you have a coupled bike in a legal size case.

A couple good sites I have found are: http://www.gfonline.org/BikeAccess/BikeBoxs_DB.cfm and http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm

BTW, my brevet series starts January and I plan on being in France in August.

jcmuellner
09-25-2006, 11:01 PM
In 2003 I got charged for shipping my bike box from Seattle to Cleveland, but nothing from there to Paris on Air France. This time I'm thinking of shipping the bike to my sister's in OH and then flying from there.

I finished my 1000km at the end of August and had a great time with no big issues and only needed a day or two of rest. Starting in October I'll be doing mountainbiking and pilates and running with a few good road rides thrown in and then in December will get back on the brevet bike to get ready for the season starting MArch 2007.

TooTall and the rest, I hope to see you in France!

Jon

djcwardog
09-26-2006, 01:36 PM
I am intrigued by the sleep deprivation aspect of such a sustained workout. The self-awareness that must come from knowing what to eat and when, as well as pacing, etc. truly make this a worthy goal. For an old marathoner whose knees will no longer tolerate the weekly mileage needed to train, long distance bike rides are certainly another way to get in a bunch of superb workouts. I am humbled to read the posts from those of you who train and race these distances. Bravo!