PDA

View Full Version : Wheel noises advice sought

572cv
01-22-2017, 03:07 PM
So, yesterday the metallic 'tink...tink...tink' as my wheels went round finally got to be annoying enough for me to change wheels. I had previously stopped and spun the wheels, which look true and round. The sound only happens when there is weight on the wheels, i.e. me riding. Pedaling had no effect. Today, no noise on the alt wheels. I'm going to guess that I need to have spokes loosened and then retightened by someone with a tensiometer ? The wheels are White T11 hubs laced to Pacenti SL23. Speculation or advice welcome!

eddief
01-22-2017, 03:38 PM
You should probably be able to feel basic tension with your hands and see true between your brake pads with your eyeballs. If things do seem tight and true, I'd suggest a drop of lube on each nipple down into the rim. I've alleviated tick this way more than once.

On the other hand, your idea could be right on.

So, yesterday the metallic 'tink...tink...tink' as my wheels went round finally got to be annoying enough for me to change wheels. I had previously stopped and spun the wheels, which look true and round. The sound only happens when there is weight on the wheels, i.e. me riding. Pedaling had no effect. Today, no noise on the alt wheels. I'm going to guess that I need to have spokes loosened and then retightened by someone with a tensiometer ? The wheels are White T11 hubs laced to Pacenti SL23. Speculation or advice welcome!

oldpotatoe
01-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Have them checked, tension wise, a little lube around the nipple/rim interface. Check for cracks at rim.

572cv
01-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Thanks very much for those thoughts. The wheels run true and its hard to tell the tension except that all the spokes feel 'tight' . If you tap the spokes with a toothbrush handle, though, there are a few variations in tone. I hadn't thought about a crack. I'll go examine for that carefully and lube the nipple rim interfaces.

bigbill
01-22-2017, 04:26 PM
You don't have a knurled nut on a valve stem do you? I chased a noise for a while on a front wheel and completely overlooked a nut I put on the valve stem when I changed a flat roadside. Usually I take them off, forgot that one time. Just enough movement when weighted that it tapped.

The only thing I could suggest is to remove and remount the tire and tube just in case the stem was the culprit.