PDA

View Full Version : I got spanked by a tri guy last night...

shinomaster
08-02-2006, 12:34 AM
No it's not what you think.. I was on my bicycle.
Who ever it was that said triathetes are scary fast are indeed correct ( I think it was Too Tall). I rode home up hill on a rolling 10 mile road last night with a friendly 50-something triathelete ( who very modestly said he was a poor biker) Yeah right, this guy killed me for 10 miles. I'm a pretty good climber too, and I had a road bike. This guy only knew one speed, turbo. I kept waiting for him to get tired, so I could pass him but it never happened, he just kept dropping me. It all reminded me of the last tri-dude I rode with in Boston, who only knew the speed of 25mph+. These guys don't coast! Or slow down...***???? Are they human?

toaster
08-02-2006, 12:51 AM
I guess that sounds better than saying you got spanked by a Bi-guy last night.

Avispa
08-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Is it bad Karma or what? Better send me them coffe mugs :D :D

Seriously, I am beginning to worry aboout you bro. First you say you are getting fat, now that you are getting dropped, wha' sup? Brotha!!!

Are you working too much? Drinking too much? Well, maybe... not enough of the last one!

Take a step back and see what is happening bro! Maybe you are training to much!

shinomaster
08-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Avispa...I was bested fair and square. I'm on target to be fit by september. This dude is full-swing into his racing calender....But I give him serious props. He was a hammer. Your mugs and treats will be flying toward your swamp soon...do you like nuts?

shino

Avispa
08-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Avispa...I was bested fair and square. I'm on target to be fit by september. This dude is full-swing into his racing calender....But I give him serious props. He was a hammer. Your mugs and treats will be flying toward your swamp soon...do you like nuts?

That's it bro, much better!

Too Tall
08-02-2006, 06:33 AM
It's all true. Glad you met up with a friendly version ;)
Look, if you want to mess with their heads just dive into a corner and get out of the saddle at the tops of hills. Speed changes and bike handling are foreign languages for them...just a suggestion.

What would Tiger do? Yeah, that's right...give em' the Wood ;)

stevep
08-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Who ever it was that said triathetes are scary fast are indeed correct ( I think it was Too Tall). I rode home up hill on a rolling 10 mile road last night with a friendly 50-something triathelete ( who very modestly said he was a poor biker) Yeah right, this guy killed me for 10 miles. I'm a pretty good climber too, and I had a road bike. This guy only knew one speed, turbo. I kept waiting for him to get tired, so I could pass him but it never happened, he just kept dropping me. It all reminded me of the last tri-dude I rode with in Boston, who only knew the speed of 25mph+. These guys don't coast! Or slow down...***???? Are they human?

shino,
you need a new bike. your bike must be no good.
friendly prescription to save future embarassment.
s

CarbonCycles
08-02-2006, 08:21 AM
LOL That is soo true it's not even funny. I've played games with many a tri-geek that way...one way to really throw them off is mix-up the tempo and to get them out of that DAMN AERO POSITION :crap:

It's all true. Glad you met up with a friendly version ;)
Look, if you want to mess with their heads just dive into a corner and get out of the saddle at the tops of hills. Speed changes and bike handling are foreign languages for them...just a suggestion.

What would Tiger do? Yeah, that's right...give em' the Wood ;)

Tom
08-02-2006, 08:31 AM
OK, speaking of the damn aero position.... and I know I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but why do guys with giant bellies and loose t-shirts ride their aero bars up a hill at 7 mph? The only reason I can think of is that they have a bad back and this is the only way they can get out on the bike, and it's not for me to say anything about anybody that's actually out riding but there's at least four of these guys I see regularly on one of my routes. I'd be willing to wager that my position on the bike is way more aero than theirs and I stink at it. I want to tell them to lose the goddamn bars, get in the drops and go.

Is it getting hot in here.... ?

* post made because I'm crabby. I had one of those rides this morning that every time I put on any pressure my legs said "No sugar for you, mon" and they shut down. It was hot (80 degrees at 0545) and I actually felt sick coming in to work. On the bright side, it was 37 miles before work so I guess I can't complain.

Birddog
08-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Shino, TT is right on about tempo changes. Another thing to be aware of is that most Tri guy/gals can go all out (turbo) for a very finite distance. That distance tends to be whatever they are training for, usually about 25 miles. After that, they tend to fizzle. Unless they are training for a full Ironman, you can probably clean their clock at anything over 25 miles, that is provided you yourself have been doing longer distances at a high tempo. Most Tri-heads only know one speed; GO.
Birddog

LegendRider
08-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Try cornering and descending :D

Too Tall
08-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Tom, it's going to be otay...everything is fine the nurse will arrive any second now with the red pill ;)

Bad news Birddog, the guys you have run into are mere pups. The guys I rode with a few weeks ago can knock out 22 avg. in steep terrain for 100+ miles. Ouch. Worse, they go really f'in hard at 30+ for mile long pulls just to bust nutz than "situp" at 22 and talk. To be fair, when I rode with these goobers they were in their last two week prep. for IM Placid so it was their big week...whatever. When you see "it" you know that's the real deal. I'm constantly blown away when in the presence of top dog athletes. Their abilities so far surpass anything I've known it ain't funny.

ols
08-02-2006, 09:51 AM
FWIW, the Ironman bike record (set in 2005) is 4h 21m 36s by Torbjorn Sindballe - 112 miles at just under 25.7 mph

scary fast indeed

(In an interview with him recently, he said his peak training week has 700-800km on the bike and a long ride at 7 hours. That's in addition to the running (90-100km) and swimming(30km) as well)

H.Frank Beshear
08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
OK, speaking of the damn aero position.... and I know I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but why do guys with giant bellies and loose t-shirts ride their aero bars up a hill at 7 mph? The only reason I can think of is that they have a bad back and this is the only way they can get out on the bike, and it's not for me to say anything about anybody that's actually out riding but there's at least four of these guys I see regularly on one of my routes. I'd be willing to wager that my position on the bike is way more aero than theirs and I stink at it. I want to tell them to lose the goddamn bars, get in the drops and go.

Sounds like you were out with the ORG* riders from my club. Same gripe bikes dont fit so slap on some aero bars and point em in the air with 4 cm spacers and a + 17* stem. It helps them get to breakfast faster. For the most part a fun group of guys to ride with once in a while, lots of stories fairly easy pace. But d**n some of them rode 10,000miles last year and gained weight! :confused: Funny thing is they all buy at the same bike shop..hmm. Nah that couldn't be it :D .

*O ld R etired G eezer

Fixed
08-02-2006, 10:17 AM
most arn't that good a few are very few are great . what most don't like is a a lot speed changes most arn't use to hard attacks but it might take a few bros to pull it off on a tough tri-guy
i.m.h.o.
cheers

Samster
08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I guess that sounds better than saying you got spanked by a Bi-guy last night. HaH! that's worth a cackle.

Keith A
08-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey Shino,

You are correct -- many of these tri-guys (and gals) are super fast and can hold there for a long time. We have several that ride with us regularly and they will get in the front rotation and just crank it for the whole ride.

I'll never forget one time when I was behind a very in-shape triathlete (who usually places in the top 10 locally and has competed internationally as well) and we turned onto a long straight section of road with a strong head wind. It was just like he had cruise control and he set it on 25 mph and just stayed there even with the head wind. We he finally pulled off the front, I was toast just trying to stay on his wheel and so I pulled off with him and let the next guy pull through. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/66.gif

You guys are also correct about how many of them can't handle the change in tempo. There is a triathlete in his 50's that rides with us and will sometimes get dropped when someone does a hard effort on the front. But he just keeps plugging along and 9 times out of 10, he'll catch up to us again.

Big Dan
08-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't mess with them unless there is a nasty headwind or crosswind.
They are basically training for a 20-50 mile time trial...Don't feel bad.

:cool:

Tom
08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Just so you know, last year I'm riding home from a 60 miler when this guy pulls up next to me. I'm doing 25mph at the time. We chatted briefly and he said he'd ridden up to Lake Placid Friday, rode the Ironman course Saturday and rode home Sunday. It's 130 miles up to Placid.

He said it was nice to get in a little early season distance work. Then he scampered away up the hill at about 30mph.

Ginger
08-02-2006, 11:50 AM
The saddest thing I've ever seen is a tri guy with a mechanical.

BoulderGeek
08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
That's quite true.

Last summer I acted as motorcycle race marshal for several of the races in Boulder. I would stop for people with mechanicals, to see if they needed to call the balais, or what their issue was.

I couldn't help physically, but I offered tube changing verbal help for several people on nie bikes, some of whom didn't even have a micro bag with levers or a spare tube (or tubular, for those who were itching to go there). Flabbergasted, i was, to see such incompetence on even a training ride, much less a "big day" for most of these people.

This thread reminds me that I have to get out on my weenie tri bike to practice my aero riding. 4 weeks (including taper) until my next (@ 9000 feet!). I'm fat and unmotivated.

shinomaster
08-02-2006, 01:05 PM
This guy was really nice, and fun to ride with. The problem was that I was chasing him the whole time, so oI couldn't change speed...He was an ok descender givin that he was using aero bars. If he was my age I would have been less impressed, but he was over 50, and said he needed to work on his riding.

CarbonCycles
08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Oh yea...don't forget the hills and climbs...most tri-geeks I've seen can't climb to save their hides from a mean chihuahua on roids.

Ginger
08-02-2006, 03:02 PM
This guy was really nice, and fun to ride with. The problem was that I was chasing him the whole time, so oI couldn't change speed...He was an ok descender givin that he was using aero bars. If he was my age I would have been less impressed, but he was over 50, and said he needed to work on his riding.

Ride with him more often...chasing people will make you faster.

William
08-02-2006, 03:39 PM

Having trouble with a Tri-guy Shino. Search the forum for "Dirty Deeds". For a price, I'll take care of it for you. :D

William ;) ;) ;)

Kines
08-03-2006, 07:44 AM
As a pre-kids ex-tri geek, I can second a lot of what is said here. Now I just do long weekend rides on my Concours with the same roadies I was riding with several years ago who were saying "damn yer fast", but now if they take me out for anything over 100-150k, especially when there's climbing to be done, I'm just hangin' on.

So, next time you see the guy, stick with him for a while, and suggest a route with some big climbs. Betcha lose him!

Kines
08-03-2006, 08:35 AM
and speaking of tri geeks - check this thing out... Yes, it's a Serotta, but it just ain't right. (ebay item 220013462594 if the link doesn't work) It just ain't right I tell ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Serotta-Legend-Titanium-60cm-Dura-Ace-Group-Great_W0QQitemZ220013462594QQihZ012QQcategoryZ9808 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Makes me feel better about my decision long ago to go with 650's on a 57cm frame. I used to think that was pushing it a bit.

SLOrider
08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
That is messed up!

Lincoln
08-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Ride with him more often...chasing people will make you faster.
:beer:

BoulderGeek
08-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Please tell me he didn't have that frame custom built to _only_ handle 650cs!

I woudl be worth it to buy if you could put normal fork and 700c on there.