PDA

View Full Version : Primaries next Tuesday: Cycling to the Polling Station

Louis
08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
For some reason that I don’t fully understand, on election days I get a real kick out of riding my bike to the polling station, waddling in on my Look cleats, helmet in hand, and voting. I live 35 miles away from work, so I don’t commute, and very rarely do I do errands while on a ride, but I do get great satisfaction when I combine voting and a bike ride. Is it just me, or does anybody else out there do this?

Primaries are this coming Tuesday, 8 August. Ride your bike and vote!

Louis

Too Tall
08-02-2006, 06:53 AM
DEWD! Meeeee toooooo :) It is a tradition. Yep, it is about making a statement in my community. Works too, I get inquiry all the time because residents say "ask the bike guy" when questions about commuting, bike lanes etc. come up. This is a case where I like wearing a label.

Ray
08-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I ride to the polling station, but it's less than a mile away, near everything else in my town that I tend to ride to pretty much every day. So I just do it in my street clothes on my old beater town bike. No big deal. I like the looks I get from all of the big wigs standing around in their suits. They never bother trying to convince me of anything.

-Ray

Peter P.
08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah; I've commuted to the polling station every election for the past 20 years. The "regulars" recognize me right away. Not quite a legend but I'm working on it!

Problem is, my employer just moved 30 miles away so I stopped commuting. It'll kill me to drive to the polling station, so I guess I'll stop home first, suit up, and keep working on that legend status!