PDA

View Full Version : Steel Lemond Bikes - no more?

dbnm
01-21-2017, 12:18 PM
I own a 2015 Lemond Washoe and just went to www.lemond.cc and it appears they are now 100% carbon.

Anyone know what is going on? They had a huge push for steel but seems that has been ditched already.

cmbicycles
01-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Based Lemond's recent investment in a composites company it makes sense from a business standpoint.

tiretrax
01-21-2017, 12:55 PM
The steel bikes were made for him under contract until he could establish his new business. I anticipate he'll offer metal bikes again from his factory. If the new company doesn't work out, I imagine he'd go back to the contract route or license his name.

velotrack
01-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Don't think Zen fabrication is in business anymore.

CunegoFan
01-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Based Lemond's recent investment in a composites company it makes sense from a business standpoint.

Maybe LeMond should have stuck with steel frames with hideous looking head tubes. He is currently involved in a lawsuit with the former CEO of LeMond Composites, who is also the inventor of the process used by the company. This is par for the course for any business LeMond is involved with.

Using company funds to send his family on a TdF vacation is not looked upon highly by others in the company.

stephenmarklay
01-21-2017, 03:40 PM
I am not a Lemond hater but he sure does seem to always have drama in his life.

Chris
01-21-2017, 06:57 PM
I'm a total LeMond fanboy, but Cunego is right, even if his own perspective is a little skewed :rolleyes:. Every business deal LeMond has been in (even with his father) has eventually been contentious and most have ended up in court. I believe his grandiose episodes and his inability to stay focused must make him a disaster to deal with.

jamesdak
01-31-2019, 09:27 PM
Just an update in case anyone is interested. I contacted the current Lemond company and they do have a large number of the Washoe frames still available. Putting this out there in case anyone googling comes upon this thread.

dbnm
01-31-2019, 09:32 PM
How do you go about buying one? How much are they?

Just an update in case anyone is interested. I contacted the current Lemond company and they do have a large number of the Washoe frames still available. Putting this out there in case anyone googling comes upon this thread.

jamesdak
01-31-2019, 09:39 PM
How do you go about buying one? How much are they?

I talked with Ben via email.

ben@lemond.cc

ultraman6970
01-31-2019, 09:41 PM
THis is something that puzzles me, many companies have old inventory and takes centuries to find out about it.

jamesdak
01-31-2019, 10:02 PM
THis is something that puzzles me, many companies have old inventory and takes centuries to find out about it.

Right, I picked up my beautiful NOS Giordana XL Super from the GITA warehouse about 3 years ago. They had more, and who know what else, still in the warehouse. The price was well under what bikyle is listing their NOS frames from. And mine came with a steel Giordana fork and other small parts.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/162350430.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164621709.jpg

The only caveat was that once I worked out which one I wanted with the Gita Rep I had to use a local Giordana dealer to facilitate actual purchase.

Burnette
02-01-2019, 04:58 AM
Right, I picked up my beautiful NOS Giordana XL Super from the GITA warehouse about 3 years ago. They had more, and who know what else, still in the warehouse. The price was well under what bikyle is listing their NOS frames from. And mine came with a steel Giordana fork and other small parts.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/162350430.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164621709.jpg

The only caveat was that once I worked out which one I wanted with the Gita Rep I had to use a local Giordana dealer to facilitate actual purchase.

^That is an awesome looking bike!

Nomadmax
02-01-2019, 06:21 AM
If I'm not mistaken, James has a number of Lemonds. (or at least someone with a similar username on another forum does)

jamesdak
02-01-2019, 07:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken, James has a number of Lemonds. (or at least someone with a similar username on another forum does)

Only 7 right now..... ;)

Still hunting for one of the old Team Lemond Pro bikes and one of the TVT's and ..... :p

Clancy
02-01-2019, 07:29 AM
I talked with Ben via email.

ben@lemond.cc

Any idea of pricing?

Have to admit, that orange paint job is beautiful and doesn’t get much better than 853 steel.

jamesdak
02-01-2019, 07:40 AM
Any idea of pricing?

Have to admit, that orange paint job is beautiful and doesn’t get much better than 853 steel.

He quoted me $2349 which in my book unfortunately puts it right in the mix with a lot of custom built frames. I will probably hold off for a used one or until they decide to really discount and move them on.

For that kind of money we're in Della Santa range and heck I might as well save up a bit more and get Dave Kirk to build me some steel magic.

If the price had been $500 or so less I'd have probably pulled the trigger.

Plus as a collector of LeMonds that puts me over the price for one of the limited edition LeMond bikes on the bay right now or a never ridden rainbow colored Team Z someone offered me a bit ago.

charliedid
02-01-2019, 08:04 AM
He quoted me $2349 which in my book unfortunately puts it right in the mix with a lot of custom built frames. I will probably hold off for a used one or until they decide to really discount and move them on.

For that kind of money we're in Della Santa range and heck I might as well save up a bit more and get Dave Kirk to build me some steel magic.

Plus as a collector of LeMonds that puts me over the price for one of the limited edition LeMond bikes on the bay right now or a never ridden rainbow colored Team Z someone offered me a bit ago.

That's crazy

$2300 for a bike frame from a company that's effectively defunct? Are they just sitting on these as "assets" for some future play?

What the...

prototoast
02-01-2019, 08:13 AM
That's crazy

$2300 for a bike frame from a company that's effectively defunct? Are they just sitting on these as "assets" for some future play?

What the...

Would you expect anything less from Lemond?

charliedid
02-01-2019, 08:18 AM
Would you expect anything less from Lemond?

No

nobuseri
02-01-2019, 08:59 AM
I like the frameset, but that's quite a bit considering the options out there - and are marketed front and center. Backroom stock (or whatever you want to call it) but still charging full price is a hard sell.

No doubt, a nice frameset. Just a hard sell at that price point.

dbnm
02-01-2019, 11:29 AM
I owned the Washoe for about 2 years before selling it on ebay. It is a lovely bike. Beautifully made and rare. I never saw another one in person.

I'd probably buy another but not at the 2015 retail price.

Ronsonic
02-01-2019, 09:10 PM
I'm a total LeMond fanboy, but Cunego is right, even if his own perspective is a little skewed :rolleyes:. Every business deal LeMond has been in (even with his father) has eventually been contentious and most have ended up in court. I believe his grandiose episodes and his inability to stay focused must make him a disaster to deal with.

From having seen his career over the years and watching Slaying the Badger, I'm convinced that he has no ability whatever to place himself in someone else's shoes to predict how they may react.

He just doesn't know what other people are thinking unless they think just like him.

jtbadge
02-01-2019, 09:36 PM
The Washoe is/was nice, but overpriced for a stock geo frame, compared to the likes of Rock Lobster, Zanc, etc., and people were (irrationally) scared off by the PF30. Even Spooky with all of their Instagram budget is less, and you can pick your own paint now.

If they keep asking retail for those now, they won't sell any.

Hawker
02-02-2019, 10:15 AM

I'll say. Love that color combo and the build.

bitpuddle
02-02-2019, 11:00 AM
I regret not buying a Washoe. Nice frames.

laupsi
02-02-2019, 11:07 AM

what he said, just gorgeous!

dbnm
02-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Just got this from Ben at Lemond:

"We've got about 60 un-painted frames left in stock, and specifically I have:

15 frames in 51cm
5 frames in 53cm

I've attached the geometry chart below, let me know if you have any questions regarding fitment. The frame includes a paint-matched Enve Road 2.0 fork, Chris King InSet7 headset, Thomson seatpost collar, derailleur hanger, and stay protector. The price is $2349 + shipping.

We can build a complete bike if you were interested, we're only able to spec with Shimano drivetrains at the moment. Also just as a heads up, lead time to receive a painted frame is about 4-5 weeks, depending on our painters daily work load."

nobuseri
02-05-2019, 05:12 PM
In thinking about it, the price isn’t too bad. I guess I just see it as a bit high due to them not marketing it, sitting in the closet, and still charging full price. :(

The fork and headset is about $500, so if the stock geo fits well, it may be a contender.

Hawker
02-05-2019, 07:26 PM
That price for un-painted? But he does mention a paint matched fork so maybe they do paint for the $2349? Still, seems a tad pricy when you look at the 853 options available out there. And I'm a Lemond fan.

ultraman6970
02-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Veloclasique has a record C dela santa one... like in size 60.. no idea what size you use but that Lemond is new... c record panto lemond components... one of the early white ones dela santa made....

54ny77
02-05-2019, 09:39 PM
Lance, is that you?

Looks like Greg was right after all.

Don't be angry, it's not your fault. Well, not all of it.

Enjoy the forum. The classifieds PSAs are good to scope out the occasional treasure.

:bike:

Maybe LeMond should have stuck with steel frames with hideous looking head tubes. He is currently involved in a lawsuit with the former CEO of LeMond Composites, who is also the inventor of the process used by the company. This is par for the course for any business LeMond is involved with.

Using company funds to send his family on a TdF vacation is not looked upon highly by others in the company.

jamesdak
02-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Veloclasique has a record C dela santa one... like in size 60.. no idea what size you use but that Lemond is new... c record panto lemond components... one of the early white ones dela santa made....

Too big unfortunately. I'm using maxxing out on a 56 cm. There's a 59 on the bay too, just too big. :(