PDA

View Full Version : Builder/dealer advice

wc1934
01-20-2017, 06:50 PM
I am in the market for a new bike. To save money I am contemplating the purchase of just the frame and fork (from an established builder/dealer), along with a fitting and other incidentals such as the bars, seat post, stem - all which display his brand.

I would purchase the wheels and groupset separately on my own (e.g. chainreaction etc.) and pay his rate for the build.

The builder is of course suggesting that I purchase the complete bike from him but if I go that route, the final cost is substantially more.

How uncool is my plan? Is that something that is done very often?

Please offer any and all suggestions and opinions. If I am off base please let me know as I am seeking advice.
Thanks

buddybikes
01-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Why have him build bike? Have him install headset and perhaps BB. Learn from someone your own build. I used to do this regularly (found my wife this way).

bigbill
01-20-2017, 07:14 PM
What steveandbarb said, build it yourself. It's the best way to learn. Let the shop prep the frame (if needed) and install the headset. You can get finishing supplies like cable ends, bar tape, etc from your LBS. As far as the fitting, build it up close with a cheap stem and get a professional fitting. Stem length is pretty much the only thing that isn't a mechanical adjustment.

Hilltopperny
01-20-2017, 07:15 PM
Buying the frameset and getting your own bits to build it up is the way to go. If the builder could match what you can get the other stuff for then I'd buy from them, but it's doubtful they can give you the same deal as the usual suspects in the UK. Nothing wrong with saving you're monry:beer:

carpediemracing
01-20-2017, 08:24 PM
I am in the market for a new bike. To save money I am contemplating the purchase of just the frame and fork (from an established builder/dealer), along with a fitting and other incidentals such as the bars, seat post, stem - all which display his brand.

I would purchase the wheels and groupset separately on my own (e.g. chainreaction etc.) and pay his rate for the build.

The builder is of course suggesting that I purchase the complete bike from him but if I go that route, the final cost is substantially more.

How uncool is my plan? Is that something that is done very often?

Please offer any and all suggestions and opinions. If I am off base please let me know as I am seeking advice.
Thanks

People know the internet exists and that there's gray market. It's not even black market. To deny that is to be sticking your head in the sand.

Buy the stuff and build it up yourself.

If there's stuff you want recourse on, like a fork, or that costs you the same (not sure but isn't SRAM like that?) then buy from the builder.

It's patently ridiculous to expect someone to pay a 30-40% surcharge (or whatever) to buy from someone with no benefits. You don't get it quicker, it's not better, it's just way more expensive.

Incidentally it's not the builder's fault, this pricing weirdness. It's the manufacturers'.

Louis
01-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Buying just the frame (or the frame + fork) from the builder (or the dealer or LBS or whatever) is 100% fine.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and there's zero shame in doing so.

booglebug
01-20-2017, 08:57 PM
Think you're saying buy the frame, fork and a few items from the builder and you supply groupset, wheels and the rest to that same builder for the bike to be completed? Don't see a problem, would think most of the builders sales would be frame, fork and headset only. Doing what your asking, he would also earn money for labor.

fogrider
01-20-2017, 09:07 PM
go to any builder's website and they list prices for frames and often another price for forks (there are some builders that will insist on building you a fork to go with the frame)...often you can just buy the frame and order the fork from where ever you want, just make sure you coordinate the rake. but yes, build it yourself unless there is something unusual about your build that would require some kind of special attention.

Louis
01-20-2017, 09:08 PM
Build it up yourself - it really isn't that hard.

Fore example: a homemade headset press:

http://www.cyclesnack.com/2008/12/diy-headset-press.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Iy5WWtdCTX0/SUR1gzhArSI/AAAAAAAAEm4/WoBdWQNAnB4/s400/IMG_9787.JPG

booglebug
01-20-2017, 09:39 PM
And if you do decide to build it yourself, YouTube will show you every step with any groupset

Louis
01-20-2017, 10:06 PM
The Park Tool web site is also loaded with good info:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/

Pastashop
01-20-2017, 11:21 PM
Sometimes there are time and space / facility / tooling constraints on building up a bike by oneself. I can see situations where having someone do that would be of value.

What I don't fully understand is why they can't source the components at a comparable cost to yours (if not lower), and just charging the labor.

Knowing what we all know very well about the gray market, etc., them steering you toward a substantially more expensive package that offers no benefits over the less expensive option doesn't smell right.

John H.
01-21-2017, 12:18 AM
He shouldn't be bummed if you are paying his going rate for assembly.
Everyone in the bike business has to know that these internet prices exist.

But you should figure out what parts that you want to use and work out a complete build list for the bike- especially if the bike is electronic and hydraulic.

The two things that a builder who prefers to sell a complete bike hope to achieve are:
1.) an easy build because all of the parts are the correct parts for that exact build.
2.) a bike that works 100% as nicely as it should.

nate2351
01-21-2017, 01:18 AM
My guess is he wont be able to match the price of online stores without paying you to take the parts from him.

At the end of the day wherever you spend your money is where you voice your support. There's always a bigger picture.

oldpotatoe
01-21-2017, 05:27 AM
Sometimes there are time and space / facility / tooling constraints on building up a bike by oneself. I can see situations where having someone do that would be of value.

What I don't fully understand is why they can't source the components at a comparable cost to yours (if not lower), and just charging the labor.

Knowing what we all know very well about the gray market, etc., them steering you toward a substantially more expensive package that offers no benefits over the less expensive option doesn't smell right.

Because most often in the US the builder gets the parts from a distributor. In Europe and some other places in the US, they get the stuff from the manufacturer. European laws about setting prices are different than the US. In Europe, it's illegal to dictate prices, in the US, all that can be done is the distributor can refuse to sell additional stuff to that builder or other retailer.

For the OP, the builder realizes the strange pricing structure right now, US distributors and Euro MO outfits. He 'shouldn't' get sweated up about it and you 'should' let him build the bike, as he will do it right and stand behind his labor.

For a couple of other posts..

-DIY..yes, not difficult but can be hard. I have seen a few DIY builds that were great and some(many) that were horrific. Yup, it's a bike, pretty simple thing but 'some' mistakes can cost you a bundle.

-Buying 'gray' market. 'May' get first quality stuff, may not. Most bike stuff is pretty simple but one thing you probably won't get is a warranty. Lever not work out of the box? Probably have to send it back across the pond for a replacement. Not w/i 72 hours(some places)? You are SOL. Most self warranty anyway, not thru the manufacturer.

This thread melds well with the one about 'paying for what you get', LBS survival..IMHO

merlinmurph
01-21-2017, 07:27 AM
I went thru the same thing last spring when I bought a new custom.

Since they fit me, and I had never dealt with hydraulic road brakes, I decided to have them source the parts and build it. It cost a bit more, but I wanted it built right the first time. If there were any issues, I could go back to them instead of having a pissing contest over whose fault it is.

I did supply a few pieces, like a Flite Ti seat, and pedals. I also drew the line at wheels. I wanted wheels with Shimano CX disc hubs, and Pacenti SL 25 rims. The shop quoted me ~$1000 which was absurd. ergott quoted me $650. I gave the shop a chance to match ergott and they said they couldn't move on the price at all., so ergott built them up (great wheels, BTW).

I ended up having issues with the rear brake. The free travel in the lever got to be too much after about a month. I brought the bike in 3 times before we left on our trip, and now that we're back, I'll have it checked again. After the third time, we were on our trip, and the hood was so stretched out, it wouldn't stay put. After dealing with it for about a month, I found a great shop in MN that cannibalized a hood from a bike on the floor.

Anyways, that's my story. I'm semi-ok at working on bikes and strip mine down every year, but I wanted the initial build done right. I was also a little short of time, too.

Good luck with the new bike!
Murph